Vice President for Finance and Administration
The Vice President for Finance and Administration provides strategic and operational leadership for the College’s financial operations, including accounting, budgeting, treasury, audit and investments, as well as the functions of Human Resources, Facilities and Grounds, Risk Management and Legal.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Works closely with the academic and other administrative leadership in support of the academic mission;
- Develops and executes strategies to ensure the colleges financial, human and capital resources are used to most effectively support the colleges mission;
- Supports the College’s strategic planning implementation and advances the College’s strategic plan;
- Reinforces a culture of continuous improvement throughout the College;
- Provides leadership in assessing the College’s business practices; implementing new and creative ways to assure integrity while reducing manual work and enhancing efficiency;
- Participates in the management of the College as a member of the Executive Cabinet;
- Serves as the staff liaison to the Finance, Investment and Audit Committees of the Board of Trustees.
- Develops and supports a sustainable budget model characterized by real time, user-friendly reporting;
- Ensures financial reporting is accurate, timely and clearly presented;
- Creates open communications with the College community regarding the College’s finances and operations;
- Maintains a capital plan that balances short and long term needs of the College
- Supervises all audit processes;
- Oversees the payroll function.
- Ensures the college strives to be an employer of choice;
- Leads initiatives to increase employee diversity and inclusion for community members;
- Supports employee relations activities;
- Oversees pay practices, benefits and employee policies;
- Oversees compliance with all state and federal regulatory practices and reporting requirements.
Facilities and Grounds
- Oversees capital project planning and implementation;
- Manages staff/outside contractors who handle facilities and grounds maintenance and operations;
- Works closely with outside contractors to ensure College priorities are met.
- With the support of outside experts, manage the College’s risk management function and legal affairs.
- Provide inspired leadership and support for Business and Finance staff as well as outside contractors in related functions;
- Ensure staff are fully trained and supported through continuing professional development.
Accepts the assignment of other related responsibilities as assigned by the President.
- Master’s degree in finance, accounting, business administration, public administration or a related field (professional licensure with experience may be substituted);
- Strong higher education experience preferred;
- Knowledge of federal and state grant regulations for accounting and reporting requirements;
- Knowledge of federal and state regulations regarding financial aid;
- Progressive responsibilities in finance-based positions;
- Demonstrated expertise in technology applications for business and finance;
- Knowledge of finance, business law, auditing, capital construction, facilities, budgeting and human resources;
- Experience developing and administering fiscal plans, financial systems, policies and procedures, and project planning within a sustainable budgeting model;
- Ability to create user friendly reporting and incentives for budget managers to use resources wisely;
- Sophisticated analytical skills and ability to use data and information effectively in planning and decision-making;
- Excellent speaking and writing skills;
- Proven ability to train, manage and motivate staff to set and achieve goals;
- Ability to manage a variety of responsibilities with energy, flexibility and attention to detail;
- Flexibility to work some weekends and evenings to meet the objectives of the position and the needs of the College.
Applicants should submit a cover letter, current resume and contact information for three professional references.
Paul Smith’s College values diversity in the College community and seeks to assure equal
opportunity through its continued Affirmative Action program. EOE/AA/M/F/D/V