Lecturer in Music Instrumental or Vocal
Position Title: Lecturer in Music Instrumental or Vocal
Position Number: 000860
Full-time or Part-time: Full Time
Department: Performing & Fine Arts
Posting Number: 0401174
SHRA/EHRA: EHRA (Faculty)
Job Category: Professional
Hiring Range: Commensurate with Education and Experience
Minimum salary: Commensurate with Education and Experience
Maximum salary: Commensurate with Education and Experience
Overall Position Competency: EHRA
Description of primary duties and responsibilities:
Primary Purpose of the Organizational Unit:
Vision: The Department of Performing and Fine Arts will be the cultural and intellectual center for Fayetteville and its environs.
Mission: The primary mission of the Department of Performing and Fine Arts is to produce graduates in the performing and fine arts - music, dance, theater, visual arts - that will be leaders and advocates in their respective fields. The Department is also committed to building community through the arts by being a resource for performing and fine arts pedagogy, cultivating a climate where creativity flourishes, and engaging the community with the production and dissemination of the performing and fine arts.
Description of Work Continued:
Primary Purpose of the Position:
The Department of Performing and Fine Arts is looking for a full-time Lecturer in Music Education beginning August 2018. The primary purpose of the one-year lecturer in Music/ Instrumental or Voice is to teach applied instrumental or vocal and related ensemble. Additional responsibilities will be assigned according to the needs of the department and the abilities of the candidate in one or more of the following areas: music history, music appreciation, music technology, music education, and jazz. The candidate will sustain, develop and promote with the vision and energy of the applied studio area, including leadership of and liaison with the faculty. It is expected that the successful candidate will be active as a performer on and off-campus and as a collaborative artist in chamber music. Recruiting and maintaining a successful studio and active participation in local, regional, and national organizations are also expected.
It is also necessary to maintain accreditation from the National Association for Schools of Music (NASM), with a candidate that has the appropriate degree. The lecturer will be able to work with the School of Education and the clinical supervisor to ensure our Music education majors are well prepared.
Duties and Responsibilities:
(Describe the principal duties and responsibilities of the position)
1. Teaching Applied lessons courses, ensemble and any additional courses as needed by the department according to expertise.
2. Maintain an effective and collaborative relationship with all academic departments' program assistants and coordinators.
3. Assist with and/or coordinate related department events esp. recruitment) in accordance with applicable policies, regulations, laws and guidelines.
4. Establish and maintain positive relationships and partnerships across campus, with outside organizations and with external and internal peers and constituents.
Minimum Education and Experience Requirements:
Possess a Master's degree in music performance/music education (instrumental /voice) by the appointment date, documented success in teaching.
Knowledge skills and abilities:
Ability to maintain a climate that is collegial, that respects and values diversity, that treats faculty, staff and learners fairly and that is hospitable to creativity and innovation.
Exceptional communication skills
Collaborative work style
Experience working in higher education
PhD in Music Performance/Music Education
Sufficient piano skills to assist accompany students in lessons and performances is welcomed
Special Instructions to Applicants:
As a supplemental document, you may upload a video/recording that demonstrates the skills necessary for this position. Please upload under "Other Documents."
Open Until Filled: Yes
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Are you currently in the process of achieving a master's degree in music performance/music education or have achieved a master's degree in music performance/music education?
- I am still pursuing my master's degree in music performance/music education
- I currently possess a master's degree in music performance/music education
- Neither apply
- If you responded that you are currently pursuing your master's degree in music performance/music education, please list your anticipated graduation date.
(Open Ended Question)
- * Do you possess a PhD in music performance/music education?
- * Do you possess higher education experience?
- * Do you have sufficient piano skills to assist accompanying students in lessons and performances?
(Open Ended Question)
Optional & Required Documents
- Cover Letter
- Other Document
- Resume/Curriculum Vitae
This position is subject to the successful completion of an employment background check. An employment background check includes a criminal background check, employment verification, reference checks, license verification (if applicable), academic verification and credit history check (if applicable).
Fayetteville State University is committed to equality of educational opportunity and employment and does not discriminate against applicants, students, or employees based on race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, disability, genetic information or veteran status. Moreover, Fayetteville State University values diversity and actively seeks to recruit talented students, faculty, and staff from diverse backgrounds.
Fayetteville State University is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor and seeks priority referrals of protected veterans for our openings.