Site Academic Director / Lead Philadelphia Faculty
Harrisburg University of Science and Technology
Campus Academic Director/Lead Faculty - Harrisburg University, Philadelphia campus
Job Title: Campus Academic Director / Lead Philadelphia Faculty
Reports To: Bili Mattes, Provost & Chief Academic Officer
About Harrisburg University:
At Harrisburg University, students find a cutting-edge education focused on high-demand fields. HU educates career-minded individuals in the science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) fields. We give our students the tools to succeed and shape communities. In turn, the STEM-educated workforce we produce helps stimulate the economy.
Harrisburg University of Science and Technology is an independent educational institution offering innovative academic and research programs in science and technology in response to local and global needs. HU fosters a diverse community of learners, provides access and support to students looking to pursue a career in science and technology and supports business creation and economic development.
This is an outstanding opportunity for a Lead Faculty to join a growing higher education institution as Harrisburg University expands their academic programs to a brand new Philadelphia location.
Reporting to the Provost, and working closely with University leadership, this Lead Faculty will be responsible for the leadership, direction, supervision and evaluation of the educational programs, academic support and services at the Philadelphia campus.
Responsibilities include academic policy administration, instructional effectiveness, instructional administration services, as well as teaching duties. This Lead Faculty performs a wide variety of tasks to ensure effective and efficient operation of the campus. He/She will provide leadership in directing the flow and support to all incoming students, faculty, and staff to ensure operational procedures are being followed and seeks improvement and advisement regarding those procedures throughout the entire Philadelphia campus.
This Lead Faculty performs duties in the administration and supervision of the educational programmatic areas including, but not limited to, instructor assignments, staff development and evaluation.
- Overseeing program development, implementation and evaluation
- Functioning as the first line administrator in the planning, development, implementation, and evaluation of assigned instructional programs and services.
- Coordinating the Full-time faculty, identifying Corporate Faculty and staff selection process within areas of responsibility, including developing and reviewing screening criteria, recruiting, screening, interviewing, and recommending faculty hires.
- Supporting program review and educational planning processes for the assigned educational programs.
- Providing administrative leadership in the development and management of the budget
- Participating as a management team member in general, college-wide activities related to personnel, facilities, and funding of instructional programs.
- Participating in efforts of enrollment support, including recruitment, persistence, and retention activities.
- Collaborates with Harrisburg University leadership to ensure that campus goals are well defined and support the overall HU mission.
- Ensures that classrooms and laboratories are appropriately equipped and participates as a member of various HU committees.
- Engages with community stakeholders. The Lead Faculty will be expected to play a role in recruiting.
- Holds an additional teaching load in area of academic expertise.
Interested candidates should possess a/an:
- Earned doctorate/terminal degree from an accredited university;
- Areas of specialization span the broad range of Computer and Information Science, Information Systems Technology or other technology-related field;
- Willingness and aptitude for undergraduate teaching as well as graduate teaching and research;
- Ability to initiate and supervise interdisciplinary research projects;
- Knowledge in organization and leadership of the operations of the academic area to cultivate a learner-centered environment, and to foster excellence;
- Knowledge of academic management, general education, instructional curriculum and program development and implementation at both the course and program level, integrated instructional and student development programs and evaluation techniques and methods.
- Knowledge of state, federal and local laws/regulations relating to programs, governmental compliance and other regulatory standards such as BRN, WASC, and other accreditation standards.
Further, interested candidates should provide evidence of experience in teaching and instructional development with prior corporate experience being a plus.
Harrisburg University requires dedicated professionals who have the experience and desire to work in an active and collaborative environment that stresses high quality service deliver, entrepreneurial spirit, and close contact with a diverse group of internal and external constituents. HU is committed to the support and encouragement of a multicultural environment and seeks candidates who can make a positive contribution in this context.
Interested candidates should forward a cover letter, curriculum vitae and statements of teaching and research philosophy.
Harrisburg University: At a Glance:
- Only science and technology-focused comprehensive university between Philadelphia and Pittsburgh
- Private, non-sectarian, nonprofit, urban, teaching university
- Located in the city of Harrisburg
- Incorporated in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania: December 12, 2001
- Chartered by Pennsylvania Department of Education: January 20, 2005
- Inaugural class arrived August 29, 2005
- Accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education, June 22, 2009
- 200 full- and part-time employees
- Signature 16-story, $73 million, state-of-the-art Academic Center
Harrisburg University: Philadelphia campus:
Harrisburg University’s Philadelphia campus offers Bachelor of Science degrees in Interactive Media, Computer & Information Sciences, Cyber Security and Management & eBusiness, with concentrations in digital marketing and analytics. This new 38,000 square-foot location at 1500 Spring Garden Street, will be ready to welcome additional students, beginning January 2018. This location is across the street from the Community College of Philadelphia.
This new facility quadruples the size of HU’s Philadelphia presence and will accommodate up to 500 students. This completely renovated space in Center City will provide students with an opportunity in science and technology education that doesn’t exist in Philadelphia.
For the past three years, HU has delivered courses to 1st-year students in a historic building on Independence Mall. Following their freshman year, these Philly-based students were required to transfer to main campus. Now they can complete all four years at the Philly campus.
HU also plans on offering new master’s degree programs in this space, which is shared with Hussian College.
Students in HU’s Philadelphia location have full access to Harrisburg University’s state-of-the-art educational tower in downtown Harrisburg.
- The University's total student enrollment for undergraduate and graduate degree seeking students: 4,400 as of May 1, 2017.
- Undergraduate Student Body: 49% female, 53% minority
- 98% of our students demonstrate financial need
- Ranked in top 20 of US News & World Report’s ethnic diversity category for Best National Liberal Arts Colleges
- HU places 92% of its graduates in family-sustaining careers in their fields of study within six months of graduation.
- HU undergraduate student average debt upon graduating is $7,000 less than the national average student education debt.
- Full-time faculty with Ph.D. or Terminal Degree: 100%
- Bachelor of Science (B.S.) degrees awarded in Analytics, Biotechnology and Biosciences, Computer and Information Sciences, Interactive Media, Management & eBusiness, Geospatial Technologies, and Integrative Sciences
- Master of Science Degrees awarded in Analytics, Information Systems Engineering & Management, Learning Technologies, Computer Information Sciences, Project Management & Healthcare Informatics.
- PhD awarded in Data Analytics – first student cohort began in Fall 2017.
- Trimester system
A 30-member, independent, self-perpetuating Board of Trustees led by an Executive Committee governs Harrisburg University. The Board of Trustees delegates authority for day-to-day operations to senior management.
Notes of Distinction:
- First private nonprofit science and technology-focused institution chartered in the Commonwealth since Carnegie Mellon University
- Educational framework is competency-based, applied and experiential
- Offers Central Pennsylvania’s only master’s degrees in IT Project Management, or Learning Technologies
- The University is a Project Management Institute® registered education provider
- HU’s M.S. program in Project Management is accredited by the Global Accreditation Center from the Project Management Institute, one of only 110 programs around the world to achieve this accreditation.
- Home to the Center for Advanced Entertainment and Learning Technologies, The Consumer Insights Research Lab, The Government Technology Institute, The Geospatial Technology Center and The Food Science and Technology Center.
- Co-PI on NSF-funded ADVANCE grant focused on the recruitment, retention, and development of women academics in science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) disciplines
Institutional Affiliations & Partnerships:
- American Council on Education (ACE)
- Association of Independent Colleges and Universities of Pennsylvania (AICUP)
- Coalition of Urban and Metropolitan Universities (CUMU)
- National Science Foundation (NSF)
- Technology Council of Central Pennsylvania (TCCP)
- Consortium agreements with Penn State and St. Francis University
- Articulation agreements with Harrisburg Area Community College, Community College of Baltimore County & Lehigh Carbon Community College
More searches like this
- Engineering & Mathematics jobs in C-Level & Executive Directors
- Civil & Environmental Engineering jobs in C-Level & Executive Directors
- Electrical & Computer Engineering jobs in C-Level & Executive Directors
- Industrial & Systems Engineering jobs in C-Level & Executive Directors
- Mathematics jobs in C-Level & Executive Directors