Director, Occupancy Management, University Housing
The Director of Occupancy Management for University Housing oversees a dynamic occupancy management portfolio on the University City and Center City campuses, comprised of over 4,300 resident students in traditional, suite-style, apartment and fraternity and sorority housing as well as special programs and student populations. This position is responsible for market and customer responsive capacity and occupancy plans and its integral relationship to over $33 million dollars in annual revenue.
The Director of Occupancy Management must maximize revenue generation and align occupancy strategies with the student's academic experience through the development and implementation of effective inventory control, capacity options, room and building assignments, marketing strategies, detailed historical data analysis, and reliable forecast models. The Director will regularly monitor occupancy levels, assess market and student housing market trends, benchmark information, provide reports, analyze data, and provide actionable advice and recommendations using analytics and professional expertise. The Director will plan, direct, and participate in strategic planning, local market and competitive studies, and the quarterly and annual budget processes. The Director of Occupancy Management is also responsible for tracking compliance with the 2-Year Residency Program, including Affiliated and Approved Housing, and other duties associated with this institutional initiative.
The Drexel Campus Services portfolio includes University Housing, Campus Dining, Retail Management, the University Bookstores, DragonCard Services, Dragon Dollars, Event & Conference Services, Parking Services, Mailing Services, Vending, the Drexel Student Centers and Procurement Services. There is a team of 63 professional staff members and 250 student employees. Campus Services comprises 2,500,000 square feet and an annual budget of more than $85,000,000. It is the mission of Campus Services to create dynamic campus and community destinations and deliver a variety of programs and services that are essential to recruiting and retaining today's student and employee. Success is built on a teamwork, continuous improvement, collaborative internal and external partnerships and business acumen.
Bachelor's Degree required with 3+ years experience in higher education or related field experience.
Knowledge of StarRez preferred.
- Develop, manage and supervise all aspects of housing occupancy management, to include housing applications and the portal, room assignments, and annual/quarterly/semester billing processes for all University operated and leased facilities including residence halls and houses. Responsible for market and customer responsive capacity and occupancy plans and the integral relationship to over $33 million dollars in annual revenue. Assess housing trends to provide reliable forecast models and reports for room and building assignments to maximize revenue generation.
- Closely monitor occupancy, preparing reports and analysis on trends, including revenue impact. Quickly identify and report potential shortfalls in revenue delivery.
- Utilize student market research, industry standards, and collaboration with campus partners (both internal and external to the University) to ensure Drexel University's housing offerings meet the needs of today's college student.
-Maximize overall housing revenue through the development and implementation of effective inventory control, capacity, marketing strategies, detailed historical data analysis, and future demand forecasts.
-Monitor enrollment and student retention trends, pricing of competitors, understand the dynamics of the local market and demand generators and present appropriate reporting, analysis and recommendations.
-Make recommendations on, and implement as directed, innovative solutions to increase services offered to resident students with the intent to improve student retention in University Housing and to increase revenue generation.
- Lead the Occupancy Management team consisting of an Associate Director, two Occupancy Managers and a Frontline Customer Specialist. May be called upon to assist staff in tasks related to managing daily operations of residence facilities.
-Work closely and collaboratively with the OneCenter (centralized financial and administrative team) and other Campus Services departments as needed.
- Oversee, operate and maintain the housing assignment database (StarRez) and other administrative systems used by University Housing. Act as Systems Administrator on behalf of University Housing to Academic Information Systems (AIS) and Information Resources and Technology (IRT). Collaborate with both departments on all reporting required from housing administrative systems. Assist in the assessment and testing of assignment enterprise software for University Housing and supervise usage and annual maintenance. Act as department's primary custodian of records, including electronic and hard-copy.
- Responsible for tracking compliance with the 2-Year Residency Program, including Affiliated and Approved Housing, and other assigned duties associated with this institutional initiative.
- Act as an emergency responder, performing assignment, billing, and communication tasks in the case of emergencies (as deemed necessary by the Assistant Vice President or the Vice President for Campus Services).
- Represent the Office of University Housing to constituent groups within and outside the University, including prospective new students and their families. Outreach and point of contact to external University offices regarding special programs and student populations tracked within the housing selection process.
- As appointed by the Vice President, represent the group on committees for division-wide initiatives.
- Perform additional duties as assigned.
Supplementary Posting Information:
Drexel University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, welcomes individuals from diverse backgrounds and perspectives, and believes that an inclusive and respectful environment enriches the University community and the educational and employment experience of its members. The University prohibits discrimination against individuals on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, disability, age, status as a veteran or special disabled veteran, gender identity or expression, genetic information, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions and any other prohibited characteristic. Please visit our website to view all University Policies and Workplace Postings.
Background investigations are required for all new hires as a condition of employment, after the job offer is made. Employment may not begin until the University accepts the results of the background investigations.
To apply for this position, please apply online at
The requisition number is 8656 and search Director, Occupancy Management, University Housing
For more information about Drexel University, please visit www.drexel.edu.