Senior Contracts Administrator
General Summary of Position:
The Office of Research Administration (ORA) provides assistance to faculty and research staff in all aspects of applying for, accepting, and managing external research funding. The Senior Contracts Administrator position helps to manage the contracting work of the office through the review and negotiation of agreements for research funding ensuring the acceptance of terms and conditions favorable to the university and in compliance with university, federal, state and sponsor policies, procedures and regulations. This position and office works closely with the Vice Chancellor for Research and Innovation’s offices, as well as other administrative units across the campus and throughout the University system to provide efficient and effective research administration support services to the UMass Lowell research community.
Essential Job Duties:
1. Prepare, review and negotiate contracts and sponsored research awards and agreements: Prepare UML agreements for research services and sponsored research, and coordinate with sponsor to incorporate necessary changes and modified language. Provide initial review of terms and conditions of contracts/subcontracts, purchase orders, and research funding awards and agreements to ensure alignment and compliance with (1) proposed work and budget, (2) interests of UML as a state institution of higher education, as well as the best interests of faculty and students, and (3) state laws and UMass Board of Trustees policies. Review FARS/DFARS clauses for proposals and awards in accordance with University policies. Coordinate reviews of other UML offices (Institutional Compliance, Technology Commercialization, etc.) as needed. Negotiate with sponsors to arrive at acceptable terms. Track/monitor contracting in process and communicate with faculty, departmental and university administrators, staff and students regarding the progress of their award/contract reviews and negotiations in process. Position will work closely with and report to the Director.
2. Coordinate Award/Project Set-up: Initiate award/project set up:
- Prepare ORA internal documentation for award/project set-up – completing chart field form to include terms and conditions, milestones required, internal budgets, departmental and PI codes, etc.
- Confirm and coordinates approval from all applicable units overseeing compliance related issues: export control, finance, IRB, IACUC, etc.
- Track/monitor award/project set-up process and communicate with faculty, staff and students on progress as needed.
3. Supervise Subawards and Contracts for Services work: Supervise and coordinate with staff producing and coordinating establishment of subcontracts and contracts for services and related work.
Provide training and support professional development of staff coordinating and tracking this work.
4. Prepare/review amendments: Prepare or review amendments to existing contracts and sponsored research awards and agreements.
5. Drafting and Updating of Templates: In coordination with the Director, periodically and as needed review and update UML agreements to ensure consistency with University policies and industry best practice.
Other Job Duties:
Promote the University’s commitment to customer service by:
Perform other related duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications (Required):
- Given the nature and responsibilities of the position, only U.S. persons (any individual who is a citizen of the United States, a permanent resident alien of the United States, or a protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C.1324b(a)(3)) will be considered for this position.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Only Internal Professional (SEIU 888 Professional Union) Bargaining candidates will be considered during the first 10 business days of the posting. All other candidates will be considered after that period.
Initial review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. However, the position may close when an adequate number of qualified applications are received.
Please include a resume and cover letter with your application. Names and contact information of three references will be required during the application process.