Lab & Instrumentation Technician - Chemistry
General Summary of Position:
This position primarily involves assisting in the operation of the department teaching labs covering the areas of general, organic, analytical, physical, polymer and inorganic chemistry as well as biochemistry. The labs serve approximately 3000 students during the academic year. Supervision of chemistry labs during off hours (evenings/weekends) will be required. He/She will work together with the individual instructors and coordinators to ensure that all the technical aspects of the labs run smoothly with particular focus on the upkeep and maintenance of chemistry equipment/instrumentation. This would come in the form of setup, routine maintenance, ordering supplies, and acting as contact person for any returns and/or repairs with the equipment manufacturer. A working knowledge of computers, computer software and simple interfacing of computers to chemical instrumentation is desirable. Additional job functions may include assisting in laboratory preparation, and communicating with research faculty.
- The successful candidate must have Bachelor’s or M.S. (preferred) in Chemistry or related field and 3-5 years minimum experience, including supervision and teaching of chemistry laboratories
- Working knowledge of a variety of chemical analysis equipment and instrumentation
- Excellent written and oral communication skills are required.
- Demonstrated proficiency in the use of computer programs such as MSWORD, EXCEL, and SIS
- Occasional lifting of containers weighing up to 45 lbs is necessary
- Past experience in overseeing multiple sections of teaching laboratories is desirable but not required
- Demonstrated knowledge of safety rules
- Demonstrated knowledge of chemical laboratory skills
- Demonstrated knowledge of laboratory techniques and equipment
- Working knowledge of many but not necessarily all of the following: GC, MS, HPLC, AA, FTIR, UV/Vis, DSC, TGA, Fluorimeter, Polarimeter, Rotary Evaporator, Glove Box, Ramen
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Only Internal Professional (SEIU 888 Professional Union) Bargaining candidates will be considered during the first 10 business days of the posting. All other candidates will be considered after that period.
Initial review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. However, the position may close when an adequate number of qualified applications are received.
Please include a resume with your application. Names and contact information of three references will be required at the time of application. Submission of a cover letter is optional.