Director of Student Transitions and Family Engagement
Director of Student Transitions and Family Engagement
St. Edward's University
The Director of Student Transitions and Family Engagement (STFE) is responsible for the direct oversight and strategic vision for the newly created office of Student Transitions and Family Engagement. The Division of Student Affairs has aligned the functional areas of student transitions/orientation; living-learning communities; along with creating a new family engagement offering in forming this integrated office. This position reports to the Dean of Student Engagement and serves on the Student Affairs Leadership Team (SALT) in support of Divisional strategic interests and decision-making.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide strategic vision and oversight for the Student Transitions and Family Engagement office, including student transitional experiences, living learning communities (LLCs), and family engagement initiatives.
- Supervise two assistant directors that share responsibility for various aspects of transitional experiences including;
- The Orientation Process - Hillstart (online orientation support tool), New Student Orientation for incoming freshmen, transfers, and families, and Anchors (second-stage immediately before the start of fall classes)
- LLC recruitment, placement, and programming (in collaboration with campus partners)
- Entry through exit student transitional programming
- Family engagement programming
- Provide leadership, oversight and execution of strategic student/alumni affinity initiatives such as:
- high profile signature events for graduating students such as Seniors Staying Connected, Senior Sendoff (Legacy Walk, Red Door Revelry), and Fall & Spring Ring Ceremonies.
- on-going programming for and correspondence with alumni of STFE as part of the cross-Divisional strategic goal focused on affinity development.
- Responsible for planning, facilitating, and assessing ongoing and new family engagement initiatives in collaboration with university advancement, including Associate Director of Development for Family Engagement, as well as Director of Alumni and Parent Programs.
- Recruit, train, and advise/supervise as many as 60 student paraprofessionals.
- Build inclusive transitional experiences through equitable hiring and training processes, consideration to mission-informed practices and community building for diverse populations.
- Works collaboratively with numerous campus partners in support of recruitment, retention, and persistence through graduation.
- Provide leadership to various University, Divisional, or Office committees as assigned.
- Oversight and management of multiple complex budgets.
- Oversight of student engagement tracking, learning outcome development and program assessment.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Master's degree in college student personnel, education, or related field.
- Minimum 4 years fulltime experience in Orientation, Student Life/Student Activities, Residence Life, or related areas.
- Evidence of supervisory experience.
- Knowledge and application of student development theory.
- Demonstrated commitment to the concepts explicit in our university mission of community, collaboration, holistic education, and service within the context of a value-based, progressive Catholic university.
- Engaged in practice informed by a consideration to social justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion.
- Ability to work well with a diverse population of students, faculty, and staff, and be enthusiastic about working in a team-oriented environment.
- Strong communication skills, including interpersonal, written and oral.
- Must be able to work evenings and weekends as appropriate.
- Successful candidate must complete an employment and/or criminal background check.
- Experience advising transitional programs and student staff.
- Previous oversight or supervision related to new student orientation.
- Previous experience supporting family engagement programming and communication.
- Previous coordination of living learning communities.
- Ability to manage multiple and diverse budgets.
About St. Edward's University
Founded in 1885 by the Congregation of Holy Cross, St. Edward's University is a private, Catholic liberal arts institution of more than 4,600 diverse students located in Austin, Texas. St. Edward's emphasizes critical thinking and ethical practices, as well as small classes, personalized learning and exciting internship opportunities. The community atmosphere extends to the approximately 800 faculty and staff who work together to make the university a welcoming yet challenging environment for students. An overview of St. Edward's University employee benefits is available at https://www.stedwards.edu/human-resources/benefits-summary
About Austin, Texas
Consistently ranked as one of the "top metropolitan areas to live in", by numerous independent media outlets, Austin Texas attracts approximately 50 new residents a day and has been one of the nation's fasting growing cities. St. Edward's is in the heart of this thriving, entrepreneurial, and cosmopolitan city, providing students, faculty, and staff with opportunities to live, learn and grow in an environment that offers a wealth of resources and opportunities. In fact, Austin is home to 17 companies on the Inc. 5000 list and boasts 1.7 times the national average of startups. Additionally, as one of the world's great technology centers, Austin, sometimes referred to as "Silicon Hills," is home to technology heavyweights like Dell, National Instruments, and Silicon Labs. For more on the City of Austin's offerings, visit The Austin Convention & Visitors Bureau webpage.
How to Apply
Qualified applicants are invited to submit an application online at: https://stedwards.applicantpro.com/jobs/766877.html Please attach a letter of interest, resume, and a contact list of three references. NO CALLS PLEASE.
St. Edward's University is an equal opportunity employer. We encourage women and minorities to apply to our vacancies and hire only U.S. Citizens and documented workers. We do not offer sponsorship at this time.
Reference #: J18029