Director of Systems Administration
Director of Systems Administration
Worcester Polytechnic Institute
Department: INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY
Position Status: Administrative Exempt Positions
Information Technology (IT) collaborates with the WPI community to meet academic, research, campus life, and administrative needs for technology and access on a global scale. IT promotes innovation to deliver an advanced technology infrastructure, security and access management, integrated data systems, and user-centric support services. Join our Information Technology team and help us enable another one-hundred fifty years of WPI's success.
WPI is a vibrant, active, and diverse community of extraordinary students, world-renowned faculty, and state of the art research facilities. At WPI, we have competitive and comprehensive benefits, including health insurance, long-term care, retirement, tuition assistance, flexible spending accounts, work-life balance and much more.
If you want a new challenge and want to make a difference, then WPI can help you get there!
Reporting to the Vice President of Information Technology and Chief Information Officer, this position will serve as the Senior Architect of the enterprise systems and be accountable for the availability of systems, storage and backups. Supports and ascribes to the information technology teamwork spirit, customer service orientation, and the best in class technology service focus.
The Director of Systems Administration will be responsible to provide design, architecture, cloud and enterprise technical direction and leadership. The successful candidate will manage IT systems, storage, backups, and technical staff such as Windows Engineers, Linux Engineers, Storage and Backup teams. This position supports the WPI mission by providing high quality IT services to meet the current and future information technology requirements of students, faculty, and staff. The position is responsible for managing, planning and directing a modern reliable secure scalable IT server and storage environment.
• Leads and participates in security tests and evaluation.
• Conducts technical and management briefings.
• Oversees and directs complex technical tasks including virtualization, systems, backups, patch management, imaging, and cloud based email.
• Interaction with faculty to identify software needs for teaching labs; interaction with staff on images for desktops and laptops.
• Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or closely related field.
• Minimum of 8 years of experience with a wide range of Microsoft Products, including Active Directory, Exchange, Office 365, Azure, SQL Server and backups.
• Five years of managing staff in a systems environment.
• Experience in Unix/Linux environment is required.
• Highly collaborative team player who works well with other members of IT, as well as faculty and staff to determine software requirements for complex lab environments.
• Experience and ability to work within change management systems and the willingness to work off-hours and weekends as necessary.
• Experience managing a staff of Windows/Linux administrators, systems administrators, storage administrators and backup administrators.
• Experience in managing priorities and system related policies for the division, and ensure that a high level of security is maintained.
• Experience installing, configuring and managing Windows Servers in a production environment.
• Experience installing, configuring Linux systems.
• Experience installing, configuring and managing Apache, Tomcat, and Microsoft IIS in a production environment.
• Knowledge of Office 365.
• Experience working with automation/configuration management systems such as Systems Center Configuration Manager, Puppet/Chef, etc.
• Experience with server virtualization (preferably VMware).
• Experience supporting a large hyper-converged enterprise environment.
• Experience with administrating storage, file sharing and NAS solutions including Dell EMC Isilon.
• Experience maintaining and monitoring server backups with enterprise backup solutions.
• Knowledge of public cloud services such as AWS and Azure.
• Knowledge of common network concepts, protocols and tools.
• Knowledge of authentication, authorization and identity tools (e.g., LDAP, Active Directory, Shibboleth, CAS, Linux Directory Services).
• Knowledge of scripting in PowerShell, Bash, Python.
Posting Date: 04/18/2018
Open Until Filled: Yes
Special Instructions to Applicants:
WPI is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, or disability. We are seeking individuals with diverse backgrounds and experiences who will contribute to a culture of creativity and collaboration, inclusion, problem solving and change making.
Criminal Background Check Statement:
A pre-employment criminal records check is required.
To apply, visit: https://careers.wpi.edu/postings/5534