Senior Graphic Designer
Senior Graphic Designer
Posting Number: R0001079
Location: Salem Campus
Attention Current Willamette University Employees: In order to apply for posted positions, please close this window and log into your Workday account and apply through the Career worklet.
Instructions for Applicants:
Please read the following carefully before beginning the online application process.
To be considered for employment at Willamette University, please complete our online employment application. Your application and all required attachments -- listed at the bottom of the page -- must be submitted for each individual job post that you are interested in applying for. If there is an application deadline, please ensure that your application is submitted by the deadline. Once you submit your application you will not be able to edit your application.
Position Summary:The Senior Graphic Designer is responsible for concept development, design, layout, pre-press production and printing coordination of a variety of print and digital marketing and communications vehicles including direct mail campaigns, magazines, brochures, booklets, posters, invitations, advertisements and print and digital displays as assigned.
The duties and responsibilities of this position include, but are not limited to, the functions, which are not listed in any particular order of significance:
- Conceptualizes, designs and executes layout of a variety of printed and digital materials as assigned by unit director, production coordinator or creative director.
- Develops effective, cohesive visual concepts that look at marketing problems in a fresh and unique way.
- Delivers creative solutions that help campus constituents attain their strategic and functional goals. Reinforces results-oriented creative during project consultations with campus constituents.
- Ensures that messages are effectively and consistently delivered within client communications.
- Manages projects from inception to print delivery. Ensures frequent and informative communication takes place with campus constituents about production timelines, costs and project status.
- Meets highest standards for quality and accuracy under tight deadlines.
- Studies the creative marketplace and helps to ensure that the university's creative product remains leading edge and ahead of its competition.
- Works collaboratively to bridge the spectrum between print, digital and web to ensure cohesiveness among communications vehicles.
- Collaborates with the Creative Director and is responsible for design and operations of the creative staff when Creative Director is not available.
- Assists in the creation, management and application of guideline documents such as style guides.
- Prepares bid/quote specifications, selects vendors to competitively bid on projects and with client approval/acknowledgement awards projects to vendors as appropriate.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Requires the ability to work effectively on a broad range of tasks, to communicate with various publics and a tolerance for interruptions and coping with competing time demands. Operates individually and as a team member on a wide variety of projects that have an impact on the university's image and visibility. Requires exceptional interpersonal skills necessary to communicate with supervisors, team members, employees/clients, students, vendors and other individuals both inside and outside the university.
- A bachelor's degree with formal training in graphic design required.
- A minimum of five years of work experience as a graphic designer producing a broad range of promotional materials, preferably in an in-house or agency environment. Experience in magazine production, marketing, branding, identity development, advertising and digital media disciplines a plus.
- In-depth knowledge of current versions of Adobe Creative Suite and working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite.
- Creative and imaginative, and curious about clients' services and goals. Ability to articulate and justify creative concepts to clients and team members. Communicates, collaborates and assists with photographer when needed.
- Commitment to understanding and promoting diversity, equity, and inclusion within design materials.
- Ability to provide constructive direction to improve overall quality of communications. Able to see other people's points of view and constructively take on feedback.
- Excellent planning, time-management and follow-through skills. Ability to develop effective design solutions within constraints of deadlines and budgets.
- Must be an organized self-starter who manages workloads effectively and shows initiative; can easily shift between short and long-term projects, troubleshoots problems and adheres to established style guidelines.
- Ability to effectively communicate in English, both orally and in writing. Good proofreading skills.
- Demonstrated experience with pre-press processes. Thorough knowledge of digital and offset printing and various bindery techniques.
- Expert in typography.
- Experienced in photo manipulation techniques and color correction.
- Familiarity with web content management systems and social media a plus.
- Ability to work independently as well as establish and maintain harmonious relations with a diverse group of staff, faculty, and students.
- This position is subject to a criminal conviction record check.
You will need to upload the following two documents as part of your application materials in the "My Experience" section:
- Cover letter addressing the required/desired qualifications and presenting any other applicant characteristics which deserve emphasis
- Current Resume
Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Apply online at https://willamette.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/willametteuniversityjobs/job/Salem-Campus/Senior-Graphic-Designer_R0001079
Believing that diversity contributes to academic excellence and to rich and rewarding communities, WU is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse faculty, staff and student body. We seek candidates, particularly those from historically under-represented groups, whose work furthers diversity and who bring to campus varied experiences, perspectives and backgrounds.