General Accounting - Travel Specialist
The Laboratory for Atmospheric and Space Physics (LASP) welcomes applications for an Accounting Travel Specialist (ATII). The Travel Specialist will be responsible for providing travel processing expertise to support LASP personnel, including; an understanding of CU and LASP travel policies and processes, ensuring the allowability of travel expenses, cost effectiveness, accounting accuracy, judicious processing, travel system analysis and process resolution, and the precise review of expense reports for allowance and auditability.
Who we are:
LASP develops, designs, and builds instruments and spacecraft for space-based observations of the Sun, Earth, and planets. LASP has built instruments and participated in missions to every planet in the solar system. Our scientists, engineers, operators collaborate with colleagues and partners throughout the international space research community.
What your key responsibilities will be:
- Work closely with travelers to complete domestic and international travel reimbursement expense reports, ensuring compliance with sponsored research, grant, CU and state fiscal rules and regulations.
- Implement CU/LASP Travel & Expense policy and processes, report exceptions to managers for Resolution.
- Serve as point of contact for travelers to communicate process and policy or answer questions as necessary.
- Consult with travelers to ensure all travel support documentation is uploaded into the Concur Expense System to meet the University and program requirements.
- Manage weekly status of the expense report queue and follows up with traveler and/or approver to ensure movement of reports through all stages of expense system (submitted, approved, disbursement).
- Escalate travel issues as appropriate to ensure travelers are reimbursed in a timely manner, including the resolution of travel aging issues.
- Identify and recommend opportunities for efficiencies and assists management with the revision of procedures, guidelines and policies that govern the travel and expense program.
- Provide superior customer service to travelers in resolving various issues related to travel arrangements, system and expense reporting issues.
- Participate in travel delegate meetings, as required.
- In concert with Travel Lead, oversee accuracy and usability of LASP SharePoint Travel site.
- At all stages, checks the allowance of expenses against stated guidelines.
What we can offer:
The anticipated starting salary for this position is $40,000.00, commensurate with experience.
The University of Colorado offers excellent benefits, including medical, dental, retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO Pass. The University of Colorado Boulder is one of the largest employers in Boulder County and offers an inspiring higher education environment. Learn more about the University of Colorado Boulder.
Be collaborative. Be informed. Be supportive. Be Boulder.
What we require:
- Due to U.S. Export Control Restrictions, only U.S. Citizens and Permanent Residents may apply.
- Minimum of two years of experience with travel expense reimbursements or similar processing of payables.
- Experience in Outlook, Excel, and Word.
- Familiarity of A/P systems and processes.
- Solid understanding and knowledge of basic financial and accounting concepts.
- Experience in analyzing travel expenditures
What you will need:
- Strong analytical skills.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, with internal and external constituents.
- Ability to establish priorities in a fast pace and dynamic environment.
- Ability to deal effectively with employees throughout LASP and the University.
- Ability to apply tact and diplomacy in a variety of situations.
- Well developed and professional skills in the areas of general accounting, customer service and office administration.
What we'd like you to have:
- Experience with COGNOS, Marketplace, Concur, Peoplesoft and other CU systems.
- Three to five years' experience in a travel & expense management related role.
Preferred qualifications may be used to further reduce the pool of applicants to those who are most highly qualified.
Special Instructions to Applicants:Please apply by April 27, 2018.
If you have technical difficulties submitting application information, please contact the CU Careers help desk at [email protected]. All other job related inquiries should be directed to the posting contact for this posting.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV
Application Materials Instructions:To apply, please submit the following materials to this posting at www.cu.edu/cu-careers:
1. A current resume.
2. A cover letter that specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications.
Please combine materials into one document and upload as titled: Last-First-13202.
Please do not upload references at this time.
Job Category: Finance and Accounting
Primary Location: Boulder
Department: B0001 -- Boulder Campus - 10060 - Lab Atmos/Space Physics
Posting Date: Apr 16, 2018
Closing Date: Apr 27, 2018, 10:59:00 PM
Posting Contact Name: Boulder Campus Human Resources
Posting Contact Email: [email protected]
Position Number: 00003348