CIRES/CSD Aerosol Optical Research Associate
The Cooperative Institute for Research in Environmental Sciences (CIRES) at the University of Colorado at Boulder is seeking a postdoctoral researcher to study atmospheric aerosol optical properties. The successful applicant will work at the U. S. National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration - Earth System Research Laboratory/Chemical Sciences Division (NOAA ESRL/CSD). Within this Division, the researcher will work closely with a team of federal and CIRES scientists to study aerosol optical, chemical, and microphysical properties. He or she will participate in the development and application of new techniques to better quantify aerosol optical properties. The initial term of the appointment is for a one year, with a possibility of extension to a maximum of three years.
• Operate and calibrate an imaging nephelometer that operates in the near ultraviolet and visible. Upgrade this instrument to aircraft operation.
• Use this instrument to measure the properties of smoke and other aerosols from aircraft and/or other locations.
• Assess the significance of the scattering properties to satellite retrievals, climate, and other implications of aerosol optical properties.
• Present results at scientific meetings and publish them in peer-reviewed journals.
• Doctoral degree in engineering, physics, chemistry, or related field. Capability for self-guided, motivated, and original research.
• Ability to work well with other researchers and support staff in a collaborative research environment.
• Experience in design, construction, operation, and maintenance of custom-built scientific instrumentation.
• Experience with laser systems, image processing, and aerosol generation and measurement is desirable.
• Ability to work independently at a field site.
Please contact Dr. Daniel Murphy (firstname.lastname@example.org) at NOAA ESRL/CSD for further information.
Special Instructions to Applicants:The University of Colorado Boulder conducts background checks on all final applicants being considered for employment, prior to the issuance of an offer letter. The University of Colorado Boulder is committed to providing a safe and productive learning, living and working community. To achieve this goal, we conduct background investigations for all final applicants being considered for employment. Background investigations include a criminal history record check, and an EPLS (Excluded Parties List System) check. The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires that verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work.
The University of Colorado is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to assembling a diverse, broadly trained faculty and staff. In compliance with applicable laws and in furtherance of its commitment to fostering an environment that welcomes and embraces diversity, the University of Colorado does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex (including pregnancy), disability, age, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information, political affiliation or political philosophy in its programs or activities, including employment, admissions, and educational programs. Inquiries may be directed to the Boulder Campus Title IX Coordinator by calling 303-492-2127. In accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, alternative formats of this ad can be provided upon request for individuals with disabilities by contacting Human Resources at email@example.com.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, Reference Letters (Not Confidential), Unofficial transcript(s)
Application Materials Instructions:Applicants must complete the Faculty/University Staff and EEO Data (application) form, and upload the following required documents: 1 - Cover Letter; 2 - CV; 3 - The document uploaded for Proof of Degree can be a Transcript which shows the date the degree was conferred; Copy of Diploma; or official letter from the Registrar or the Dean of the School or College conferring the degree; 4 -A non-confidential letter of reference This position is eligible for medical, dental and life insurance, retirement benefits programs, and is eligible for monthly vacation and sick leave accruals.
Job Category: Faculty
Primary Location: Boulder
Department: B0001 -- Boulder Campus - 10080 - Coop Inst Res/Envrm Sci - Dir
Posting Date: Apr 16, 2018
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Karen Dempsey
Posting Contact Email: Karen.Dempsey@colorado.edu
Position Number: 00745191