University of Colorado - School of Medicine
This is a unique opportunity to work in an academic and clinical Adult Orthopedic Surgery practice including Adult Reconstruction, Trauma, Hand Surgery, Oncology, Sports Medicine and Foot and Ankle. The position will be a full-time exempt (non-hourly) Instructor -Physician Assistant position in the Department of Orthopedics. The employee will work in the Denver Metropolitan area. The position is not eligible for tenure.
Duties and Responsibilities
This is a position requiring interest in Adult Orthopedic Surgery.
- Obtains detailed history and performs physical examinations on assigned patients; assesses and treats acute/chronic medical problems (focusing on the musculoskeletal system) and provides direct patient care to a specified patient population. Write prescriptions for medications, PT, OT, imaging studies, and DME as needed. Complete FMLA and other forms and school notes as needed.
- Assists in providing pre-op and post-op care; writes appropriate orders, including those for narcotics and other scheduled drugs. There will be some casting, splinting, and dressing required.
- Performs emergency life saving procedures in cases such as cardiac arrest, respiratory arrest, massive hemorrhage, or similar emergencies. Coordinates daily patient care with the Hospitalist and other consulting services. Responsible for the timely discharge of patients from the hospital and completion of discharge summaries.
- Notifies attending physician on call, house physician on call, or supervising physician regarding any unusual or unexpected events or problems requiring direct physician consultation.
- Practices safety, environmental, and/or infection control methods.
- Coordinates the activities of patient care with residents and clinic support staff. Work with the team to ensure smooth transition from the inpatient admission to outpatient clinic follow-up.
- Writes progress notes on patients' hospital charts indicating patient status and treatment procedures performed; maintains other records as required.
- Provides health education to patients and families; may train and supervise medical students, mid-level students and other health professional students engaged in specific clinical activities.
- Enhances professional growth and development through participation in educational programs, current literature, in-service meetings and workshops.
- Help develop written educational materials and treatment protocols for specific conditions and post-operative care.
- Assist in preparing and giving power point and poster presentations for educational purposes at institutional, local and national meetings.
- May perform clinical research related to specific conditions and assist in preparation of manuscripts for publication.
- Must become proficient in documentation and use of current the electronic medical record program and be an available resource to other health care providers.
- Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
- Flexibility required as the nature of the position will change over time as one gains knowledge and experience with Orthopedic conditions.
- Responsible for maintaining compliance and coordinating the implementation of Clinical Leadership Council initiatives with the Vice Chair of Clinical Affairs.
This position works primarily Monday- Friday starting around 6:30 AM and will be located primarily in the Denver Metropolitan area. Early morning meetings and shifts extending beyond 8 hours may be necessary.
Salary and Benefits
Salary is commensurate with skills and experience. The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at Employee Services.
The University of Colorado Denver is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The University of Colorado strongly supports the principle of diversity. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires that verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work. Alternative formats of this ad are available upon request for persons with disabilities.
• State of Colorado Certified Physician Assistant or Inclusion on the State of Colorado Advanced Practice Registry as an Advance Practice Nurse; Certification by the National Commission on Certification of Physician Assistants Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS) Certification; certification pending, as documented by temporary certificate.
• CPR Certified
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- The applicant must be self-directed, detail-oriented, and adaptable in a high-intensity environment.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills are required as well.
- Experience preferred. May be willing to train new grad with previous hospital/orthopedic experience or exceptional qualities
- Bachelor's degree in a related Technical, Scientific, or Engineering discipline
- 6 months to 1 year experience directly related to the duties and responsibilities specified.
Special Instructions to Applicants:Reference checks are a standard step in our hiring process. You may be asked to provide contact information, including e-mail addresses, for up to 5 references if you are referred to the Hiring Authority for interview. We will notify you prior to contacting both on and off-list references. The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees. Some positions may also require a motor vehicle records check.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/careers Review of applications will begin immediately, and will continue until the position is filled. Required Application Materials: When applying at www.cu.edu/careers, applicants must include: 1. A cover letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications 2. A current CV or resume 3. Letters of reference (optional) Questions should be directed to [email protected]
Job Category: Faculty
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 20259 - SOM-Orthopedics
Posting Date: Apr 16, 2018
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Jodi Naylor
Posting Contact Email: [email protected]
Position Number: 00744975