Housing and Dining Services welcomes applications for an Executive Chef. This is a strategic culinary leadership role, which ensures that culinary, service quality, A9, food safety and sustainability, and equipment standards are followed in multiple outlets, venues or restaurant concepts across Campus Dining Services. Under the supervision of the Sr. Executive Chef this position will ensure quality culinary integrity through one on one training, staff scheduling, product development, and production accuracy while following industry trends. This position will develop menus for execution and research sourcing and procurement options for Sr. Executive Chef. This position will review and adjust as needed menuing at locations to ensure food costs are within established parameters. This position is responsible for culinary staff development and career progression as well as facilitating conflict resolution for CDS staff members. This position will review orders for accuracy. This position ensures that all menu items are fresh, high quality. Ensures excellent customer service in a team driven and supported environment. This position may be responsible to serve as Sr. Executive Chef in their absence and is responsible for developing and maintaining professional working relationships with strategic partners.
Who we are:
Housing & Dining Services, Campus Dining Services exists to provide 3.3 million meals per year for the students, staff, faculty and guests of the university. Campus Dining Services is comprised of Residential Dining Halls, Catering and Retail outlets, which operate year round. Campus Dining leads the industry with superior quality food and exceptional dining experiences. We continue to expand our sustainability initiatives and reduce our carbon footprint in our daily operations, including efforts in resource recovery, conservation and food sourcing. We are committed to providing options and information to all of our guests with dietary restrictions and allergens, including vegan, vegetarian, kosher and Halal choices, supported by a strong allergen awareness program called A9 ® Identified.
What your key responsibilities will be:
Production and Sourcing
- Work with senior executive chef to design menu/restaurant concepts, trainings, and staffing structures throughout Campus Dining Services.
- Assist production manager with ordering, forecasting and inventory on CBORD to ensure product ordering, production needs and inventory controls are met.
- Aid in the development and implementation of culinary training programs (cooking, service methods, and techniques) for all food production area.
- Provide educational assistance to the production staff that participate in the American Culinary Federation Apprenticeship program.
- Revise recipes to incorporate new products or procedures.
- Research new trends and standards in the food service industry through trade journals, food shows, food brokers and manufacturers and participation in professional conferences and trainings as required.
- Consult with the production manager, operations manager and general manager or through self-observation to support and assist wherever there may be a culinary difficulty, whether it be concerns with the quality of food or service, food cost issues or staffing levels.
- Assist in the development, writing and implementation of the menus required for all restaurant concepts within CDS as well as the preparation and presentation of special events and caterings as required.
- Help establish ingredient initiatives, in collaboration with Sr. Executive Chef
Food Safety Management
- Ensure that the culinary team is following FSS recipes for compliance as required to ensure food allergen guidelines are followed.
- Oversee all ParTech and A9 labeling procedures are followed during scheduled shift and takes corrective action when out of compliance, including creation of accurate labels, troubleshooting equipment and staff education.
- Help to establish food safety and sustainability initiatives, in Collaboration with Food Safety and Resource Recovery Manager
- Evaluate all areas of responsibility to ensure compliance with all sanitation, food safety and sustainability standards.
- Enforce sanitation regulations and safety standards.
- Serve on the food safety response team and responds to all food safety emergencies as appropriate to the work assignment. If a work cell phone is provided, a response call must be within an hour of the original call and/or message.
Personnel and Training
- Provide leadership and oversite and ensures customer service standards (FOH and BOH) are met across CDS.
- Empower others to make decision in areas within their span of control, and participates in measures to increase empowerment response rate and overall score.
- Provide hands-on coaching and training to the culinary staff as required on a daily basis to ensure the quality of the food being produced meets all department standards.
- Hold others accountable, following progressive discipline process. Discusses staff issues with Executive Culinary Team.
- Display and demonstrate excellent communication skills. Coaches others to develop their communication skills.
- Successfully passes ServSafe and offers tutoring assistance to staff. Is responsible for and participates in any health inspection audits, including annual County Health Inspections.
What we can offer:
The anticipated starting salary for this position is $52,500.
The University of Colorado offers excellent benefits, including medical, dental, retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO Pass. The University of Colorado Boulder is one of the largest employers in Boulder County and offers an inspiring higher education environment. Learn more about the University of Colorado Boulder.
Be collaborative. Be impactful. Be strategic. Be Boulder.
What we require:
- At least three years of work experience in the occupational field or specialized subject area of the work assigned to the job. Substitution: Bachelor's degree from an accredited college, university or non-correspondence school course work related to the work assignment may substitute for related experience.
- Servsafe certified and or certificate appropriate for the position level or the ability to obtain Servsafe certification or certificate appropriate to position level within 6 months of hire. Must possess appropriate Servsafe certification or certificate appropriate to position level for the duration of employment with CDS.
What we would like you to have:
- Experience working with a diverse set of cuisines.
- Experience working in a kitchen where safety is a priority.
- Experience supervising 20+ employees.
Preferred qualifications may be used to further reduce the pool of applicants to those who are most highly qualified.
Special Instructions to Applicants:Please apply by April 30, 2018.
If you have technical difficulties submitting application information, please contact the CU Careers help desk at firstname.lastname@example.org. All other job related inquiries should be directed to the posting contact for this posting.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV
Application Materials Instructions:To apply, please submit the following materials to this posting at www.cu.edu/cu-careers:
1. A current resume.
2. A cover letter that specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications.
Please combine materials into one document and upload as titled: Last-First-13164.
Please do not upload references at this time.
Job Category: Hospitality
Primary Location: Boulder
Department: B0001 -- Boulder Campus - 10391 - Housing-Administration
Posting Date: Apr 16, 2018
Closing Date: Apr 30, 2018, 10:59:00 PM
Posting Contact Name: Boulder Campus Human Resources
Posting Contact Email: HRESmail@colorado.edu
Position Number: 00745143