Executive Director for Mission Integration and Special Assistant to the President
Founded in 1908 and sponsored by the Sisters of Mercy, Georgian Court University is a leading regional university that provides a transformative education, preparing students for ethical leadership and service in the Catholic Mercy tradition. GCU's strong liberal arts core and its special concern for women create an environment that supports diversity and academic excellence. Anchored by the Mercy core values of respect, integrity, compassion, service, and justice, Georgian Court serves nearly 2,500 students of all faiths and backgrounds in upward of 30 undergraduate and 10 graduate programs.
The university, which was founded over a century ago as a women's college, became a fully coeducational university in 2013. Women and men attend classes on the GCU main campus in Lakewood, N.J., on the picturesque former George Jay Gould estate, which is also a National Historic Landmark. Courses are also taught online and at several other locations in New Jersey.
The role of the Executive Director for Mission Integration is to complement the President of Georgian Court University in enabling the educational mission, beliefs, and values of the sponsoring congregation and the university to be vital and operational in the local setting of the ministry of higher education.
The Executive Director for Mission Integration is a critical leadership position at Georgian Court University. This position is responsible for ensuring the mission, values, and identity of the university are fully integrated on the campus, including within strategic planning, policy-making, direction setting, and internal and external communications. In this role, the incumbent will represent the university and strengthen the relations between the university and religious, civic, and church communities. The Executive Director of Mission Integration is responsible for the leadership, oversight, and assessment of mission-related administrative processes to ensure a unified, student-centered approach to data and student services.
This position is responsible for creating, developing, and implementing campus programming that contributes to the intellectual and social development of students, faculty, and staff, ensuring support and guidance in order to grow and thrive academically, professionally, and personally in our culturally diverse academic community.
As a member of the GCU community, this position coordinates a standing committee for consultation and assistance in implementing ongoing values education and mission integration (Mission Integration Committee), serves as the staff liaison to the Mission Integration Committee of the Board of Trustees, and serves on other leadership and planning committees.
This position is responsible for recruiting, mentoring, counseling, and disciplining of the employees within the unit, as well as professional growth and development of the unit's staff.
This position requires the ability to travel, both locally and nationally, and participate in campus activities which may include evening and weekend hours.
The incumbent must possess a strategic and curious mind with an ability to communicate and create interest in the University with prospective students. This professional must be enthusiastic, people-oriented and enjoy working with college students. This position resides in a fun and fast-paced department, and the incumbent should live by details, have exceptional organization skills, and have a positive attitude.
- Supervising and managing the operations of the Office of Mission and Campus Ministry; developing written policies and procedures that support the University's mission and strategic plan; overseeing the hiring, training, and evaluation of new department employees; lead department meetings to establish priorities and tasks designed to meet weekly, monthly, and annual goals; supervise individual efforts, tracking progress towards individual employee goals.
- Preparing the annual budget proposal and monitoring expenditures.
- Provide leadership and implementing comprehensive mission-related programs to on-campus and off-campus locations that will interpret the philosophy, mission, and values of Georgian Court University.
- Serve as a resource to the Office of Human Resources in assuring that candidate evaluation process for all positions include a candidate response to the mission and identity of Georgian Court University.
- Lead mission and values orientation to new university personnel and new students. Further integrate faculty, staff, and students engagement with the Mercy Core Values that drive the mission of Georgian Court University.
- Ensure mission integration in all organization processes, including strategic planning, policy making, and leadership development.
- Fostering an awareness of the identity of Georgian Court University as a Catholic institution of higher education sponsored by the Sisters of Mercy.
- Working collaboratively with all departments of the university.
- Using data to inform decision-making related to setting goals, establishing projections and models, achieving objectives, and delivering bottom-line results. Produce status reports and comprehensive final reports each year.
- Preparing, maintaining, and distributing a series of activity and mission reports designed to keep key Georgian Court University personnel up-to-date on the status of mission-related activities and accomplishments.
- Understanding, applying, maintaining and ensuring all student information is accurate and complete and in compliance with mandatory University, state and federal policies, and Middle States Commission policies and practices regarding student data and records.
- Maintaining current knowledge of university curriculum, rules, regulations, and guidelines applicable to students.
- Participating in appropriate local, state, and national professional organizations. Identify and attend at least one professional development seminar and present the information to the mission staff.
- Representing the office on a variety of University committees and task forces.
- Integrating the core values of respect, compassion, integrity, justice, and service in all aspects of interaction.
- Other duties as assigned.
The Executive Director of Mission Integration will ensure that all communications follow brand guidelines and work to maintain and advance Georgian Court University's commitment to environmentally sustainable practices.
The minimum qualifications for this position are:
- Advanced degree in a relevant discipline.
- At least 5 years of experience with mission integration or ministry work.
- Knowledge of and commitment to the teachings and mission of the Catholic Church.
- Ability to articulate the traditions and values of the Sisters of Mercy.
- Ability to contribute to overall university management through mission leadership.
- Proven management and mentoring skills and experience working with professional and support staff to implement and execute programs.
- Demonstrated success in developing and implementing community activities and learning opportunities that meet both institutional objectives and mission and values.
- Excellent listening, communication, interpersonal and relationship-building skills with the ability to communicate clearly in person and writing.
- Excellent professional demeanor Proficiency using Microsoft Office, especially Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and other email, database and spreadsheet applications and Adobe Acrobat.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other employees, students and the general public.
- Strong quantitative and data analysis skills and the ability to use data to make decisions.
- Ability to maintain the highest degree of confidentiality.
- Ability to work independently, completing work in a thorough and timely manner, and balancing competing demands with courtesy and tact.
- Ability to courteously and accurately provide information to employees, students and the general public.
- Ability to quickly learn and retain a large body of general University information, including activities, functions, personnel, rules, policies, regulations, procedures, etc.
The preferred but not required qualifications for this position are:
- Experience in a Sisters of Mercy sponsored environment
- Sister of Mercy
- Higher education experience
- Experience with PowerCAMPUS and/or Ellucian Systems
Applicants interested in applying MUST submit the following documents via online:
- Cover Letter
- Contact information for three professional references
Returning Applicants - Login to your Georgian Court Careers Account to review your completed application.
As you are submitting your application via this online process, please assure you provide an accurate email address. You will receive an acknowledgment indicating your application materials have been received. If you do not receive the email to your inbox, please check your spam folder. If it is not in your spam folder, please go to Returning Applicants Login, click on the Help Desk link and click on New Ticket for assistance.
PLEASE DO NOT CALL OR SEND AN EMAIL MESSAGE TO THE HUMAN RESOURCES OFFICE REGARDING THE STATUS OF YOUR APPLICATION.