Visiting Research Programmer - Coordinated Science Laboratory (A1700683)
The Coordinated Science Laboratory (CSL) at the College of Engineering seeks applicants for a Visiting Research Programmer. This position will provide programming and system support for a variety of research activities within the Depend Group at CSL.
CSL is a premier, multidisciplinary research laboratory in the College of Engineering, focusing on the information technology at the crossroads of computing, control and communications. With a rich history of more than 60 years of innovation, CSL has developed and deployed new technologies that have achieved international scientific recognition and transformed society. Led by a faculty of world-renowned experts and researchers, CSL uses the innovations to explore critical issues in defense, medicine, environmental sciences, robotics, life-enhancement for the disabled, and aeronautics.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Maintain previously developed software and research tools, help maintain hardware clusters applications and tools for data analysis and machine learning.
- Collaborate with students, faculty, and scientists involved in research, helping them deploy their systems on the above clusters and on High Performance Computing (HPC) systems as needed.
- Report and assist in reporting research results to various stakeholders.
- Support research presentations at conferences, meetings, and/or workshops.
- Produce documentation and other written material related to software development efforts.
- Assume additional appropriate related research duties to further the mission of the Center.
MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS & QUALIFICATIONS
- BS degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or a related subject.
- Experience with installing, configuring, and troubleshooting UNIX/Linux based environments.
- Experience with software engineering tools including software version control, automated software testing techniques.
- Significant experience with developing software for Linux systems in two, or more, computing languages including Python, C, Java, C++.
- Programming experience in a professional or academic environment.
- Work independently with minimal direction and have excellent verbal and written communications skills to support research.
- Must have strong programming skills in programming and scripting languages.
PREFERRED REQUIREMENTS & QUALIFICATIONS:
- Master's degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, or a related subject.
- Strong problem-solving skills and debugging skills.
The Visiting Research Programmer position is a full-time benefits-eligible Academic Professional position appointed on a 12-month service basis. The expected start date is as soon as possible after the closing date. Applicants may be interviewed before the closing date; however, no hiring decision will be made until after that date. Salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications. Based on funding and unit needs, this position may become permanent in the future.
To apply for one of these positions, please create your candidate profile at http://jobs.illinois.edu and upload your cover letter, resume, and names/contact information for three references by December 31, 2017, as a single PDF file. Full consideration will be given to complete applications received by the closing date. For further information regarding application procedures, contact Amy Gilbert, email@example.com, 217-244-1802.
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO. To learn more about the University's commitment to diversity, please visit http://www.inclusiveillinois.illinois.edu.
College Name or Administrative Unit: Engineering
Category: Academic Professional
Title: Visiting Research Programmer - Coordinated Science Laboratory (A1700683)
Open Date: 11/02/2017
Close Date: 12/31/2017
Organization Name: Coordinated Science Lab