Extension Educator, Family and Consumer Science (EFNEP) - University of Illinois Extension (A180023
College of Agricultural, Consumer and Environmental Sciences (ACES)
University of Illinois Extension
EXTENSION EDUCATOR, FAMILY AND CONSUMER SCIENCE (EFNEP) - A1800235
The Extension Educator serves as a regular, full time, 12 month academic professional with primary responsibility for the development, delivery, and evaluation of educational programs supporting the mission of the University of Illinois Extension. Family and Consumer Science Educators support one of the four core Extension program areas and within that program area may focus on one or more of the following interdisciplinary initiatives: Energy and the Environment; Food Safety and Security; Economic Development and Workforce Preparedness; Family Health, Financial Security and Wellness; Youth Development. Programmatic objectives of Extension Educators will be consistent with national and statewide initiatives considered of significant importance to residents of the state of Illinois.
Extension Educators will be expected to deliver research-based educational programs and to work within team settings that may consist of other Extension Educators, community college professionals, and faculty within and outside of the College of ACES. The establishment of professional networks as well as the development of relationships with key stakeholder groups is vital to the success of Extension Educators. Extension Educators will be expected to deliver educational programs not only within their assigned multi-county unit, but as requested, to clientele within other units.
The Extension Educator, Family and Consumer Science (EFNEP) is expected to concentrate programmatically on the Expanded Food and Nutrition Education Program (EFNEP). This programmatic concentration includes: providing educational leadership for the integrated content areas which empower limited-resource families to reduce the effect of factors placing them at risk nutritionally, including: basic nutrition, meal planning, shopping for food, access to food, food budgeting and accessing other services. In addition, this Educator provides program management and supervision for the EFNEP civil service staff that instruct limited-resource clientele with young children.
One full time position is available.
Location: Unit 22 - Madison, Monroe, and St. Clair Counties
(Position will be housed at the EFNEP Training Center - East St. Louis, IL)
Additional positions may become available in other locations
This is a security-sensitive position. Comprehensive background checks, including but not limited to a criminal conviction information check, a CANTS check, and a review of the Registered Sex Offender list, will be conducted.
Specific responsibilities of the Extension Educator, Family and Consumer Science (EFNEP) are as follows:
- Provide program leadership for the local EFNEP, including supervising a team of peer nutrition educators, interpreting and integrating program information and guidance, and meeting program compliance and reporting requirements.
- Develop and deliver training to local staff and community partners to facilitate the delivery of EFNEP.
- Plan and facilitate educational programming for low income clients with the appropriate research based information including assessing the needs of local clientele in a systematic and analytical manner.
- Network and collaborate with community organizations and other relevant groups to facilitate the delivery of the EFNEP.
- Within the designated area(s) of specialization, develop innovative curricula and programs to address local needs as well as to mesh with the broader state and national interdisciplinary initiatives.
- In partnership with other Educators, deliver high impact programs to diverse audiences utilizing a selection of innovative delivery mechanisms to optimize reach and effectiveness.
- Evaluate the impact of program initiatives in a planned and statistically relevant fashion. Evaluation plans should focus not only on short-term impacts but also on long-term changes in clientele practices.
- Develop effective and contemporary approaches to communicate with clientele. This may include constantly evolving electronic technologies (e.g., Twitter, Facebook, blogs, e-learning, etc.).
- Compete for internal and external resources to enhance the development of innovative educational programs with potential for high impact.
- Establish professional relationships and participate in campus-based partnerships that tie academic programs and research to complement Extension programming by partnering with Extension Specialists and/or faculty members on research projects as appropriate within the initiatives.
- Develop professional collaborations with the County Director and Extension Council members.
- Market and represent Extension's interests to external partners and stakeholders in areas related to expertise.
- Cooperate with the County Director to achieve budget goals and relevant grant initiatives.
- Support voluntary educational delivery systems with relevant subject matter expertise.
- Serve as an effective team member and volunteer for leadership roles as appropriate.
- Comply with all reporting deadlines and requirements (e.g. plans-of-work, activity and impact reporting, etc.).
- Accept statewide responsibilities as requested.
- Continually seek professional development opportunities to enhance competency in subject matter area including being an active member within a professional development society(s) to keep abreast of changes within discipline.
- Assist with and support the total University of Illinois Extension program.
- Comply with all University of Illinois Extension Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity policies and guidelines in all aspects of Extension work; assist Unit staff with data collection for Affirmative Action, Gender, and Targeted reports as needed.
- Perform other duties that contribute to the mission of University of Illinois Extension programming, as assigned.
- Local, regional, and statewide travel required; personal transportation required.
- To perform the functions of this position, the employee will be required to perform work both within an office and outside in the communities that are served, and must have the capability to travel from one location to the other in a timely fashion. Employee is responsible for securing personal transportation. A valid driver's license is preferred. Some work will be required during evening and/or weekends. When working, the employee may be exposed to a variety of environmental factors to include, but not limited to, hot or cold weather, exposure to noise and allergens, and uneven ground. In performing the functions of this position, the employee may be subject to various mental and physical demands as well to include, but not limited to, independently traveling to and performing work at different locations, lifting and moving items that may occasionally weigh up to forty (40) pounds and frequently weigh up to twenty (20) pounds, and twisting, pushing, and pulling movements. More detailed information regarding the functions of this position (including the physical, mental and environmental requirements of the position) may be obtained from Human Resources for the College of Agricultural, Consumer and Environmental Sciences (ACES) by contacting [email protected].
Administrative Relationship: Extension Educators are administratively responsible to the County Director.
Program Relationship: The Extension Educator, FCS (EFNEP) is programmatically responsible to the Extension Specialist, FCS (EFNEP) and the Program Leader(s) for the delivery of programs that mesh with identified national and state priorities.
- Required: Master's degree related to subject matter emphasis from an accredited institution of higher education. Examples of relevant fields could include, but are not limited to nutrition, adult education, family and consumer science, dietetics, or public health. Candidates with a Master's degree in progress may be considered for interviews, but degree must be completed by hire date. Experience creating and providing educational/training programs in formal and informal settings. Strong oral and written communications skills. Evidence of strong interpersonal skills and ability to work within a team environment.
- Preferred: Experience within the specialty field (nutrition or public health) is highly desirable. Demonstrated ability to build and maintain diverse networks. Familiarity with the area in which the position is located.
The position is a full-time, benefits-eligible, non-tenure academic professional position appointed on a 12-month service basis. The expected start date is as soon as possible after the closing date. Salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications. Generous vacation and sick leave. State Universities Retirement System. Group health, dental, vision and life insurance.
Application Procedure: To apply, go to http://go.illinois.edu/A1800235. Log in to your account and upload a cover letter and resume, as well as the names and contact information of three professional references. Resume dates must be in month/year format and employment history, at a minimum, should include all work dating back to the completion of your undergraduate degree. Positions that were less than full-time/100% must be noted as being part-time. Transcripts may be requested at a later date. To receive full consideration, all requested application materials must be submitted via the online system by the close date of May 11, 2018.
For further information about the position please contact Julie Ritchey at [email protected]. For technical assistance with the online application process, call 217-333-6747 or email [email protected]
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO. To learn more about the University's commitment to diversity, please visit http://www.inclusiveillinois.illinois.edu
College Name or Administrative Unit: ACES - Extension
Category: Academic Professional
Title: Extension Educator, Family and Consumer Science (EFNEP) - University of Illinois Extension (A1800235)
Open Date: 04/16/2018
Close Date: 05/11/2018
Organization Name: Unit 22