Assistant Director of Communications - VPEDI
Job Category: Academic Professional Academic Professional
Description: University of Illinois System
Vice President for Economic Development and Innovation
Assistant Director of Communications, VPEDI
The System Offices seek an Assistant Director of Communications, VPEDI to, develop and execute comprehensive, strategic communications in multiple formats to effectively promote the programs of activities of the Office of Vice President for Economic Development and Innovation (VPEDI) and tell the U of I System's economic development story. The Assistant Director combines big-picture marketing planning with hands-on, targeted initiatives to support strategic system offices-level economic development initiatives. The Assistant Director is responsible for developing and executing communications strategies and managing the production of marketing materials to ensure VPEDI priorities and initiatives are successfully communicated to internal and external stakeholders. Additional responsibilities include:
1. Develop and implement a cohesive communications strategy with defined metrics for success. Track and measure the effectiveness of communications, marketing, and web engagement and make strategic adjustments as necessary.
2. Strategically tell the U of I System's economic development story, including: produce effective, timely content for multiple communications platforms; provide writing support for the Vice President as needed; and identify and share news and stories that advance the strategic communications objectives and priorities of the Office of the Vice President for Economic Development and Innovation.
3. Support communications efforts for VPEDI special initiatives, including developing strategy for communications across multiple formats and creating content as needed.
4. Establish and maintain procedures for effective management of external and internal communications.
5. Establish the conceptual and strategic direction for content development. Author and develop a consistent stream of fresh, clever, and creative content that engages and educates internal and external stakeholders as part of broader strategic communications strategy.
6. Provide writing services, including speeches, presentations, press releases, booklets, scripts, and special correspondence as required.
7. Manage website content/messaging, e-newsletters, and social network strategy and communications.
8. Direct the production of communication materials from concept to completion – contracted and internal – and ensure consistency of visual brand expression in all communications, and across all marketing and social media vehicles.
9. Functions as a resource and works collaboratively with the Office for University Relations (OUR) and the Office of Governmental Relations (OGR). Serves on the Strategic Communications and Marketing Committee and other communications-related and outreach committees as appropriate, managing additional products in partnership with OUR and OGR.
10. Work collaboratively with communications offices from across the three universities of the U of I System to promote and nurture a strong network to foster information flow among various stakeholder groups.
11. Prepare PowerPoint presentations for the Vice President and VPEDI senior leadership.
12. Answer requests for information from the public in collaboration with the Office for University Relations.
13. Perform other assigned duties appropriate for an Assistant Director of Communications position.
Candidates must a bachelor's degree in communications or a field related to the position duties with five years of experience in the management of communications activities, preferably within a large, not-for-profit organization or university/college environment. Other requirements include: excellent interpersonal and communication skills; ability to exercise independent judgement and discretion to make sound decisions on behalf of the Office of the Vice President for Economic Development and Innovation; strong writing skills and demonstrated experience writing for diverse audiences at all levels of an organization; excellent organizational skills and multi-tasking capabilities to meet stringent deadlines and produce accurate, detail-oriented work; ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships; proficient computer skills and knowledge of Microsoft programs/applications including: Word, Excel, Outlook, and Internet Explorer.
Preferred qualifications include: experience working with Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop).
This is a full-time, 12-month Academic Professional position. For full consideration, candidates must apply and submit a letter of application, resume, and names/addresses/phone numbers of three professional references by May 7, 2018 at https://uajobs.hr.uillinois.edu/.
The System Offices conduct background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer of employment. Background checks will be performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Reporting Act.
System Human Resource Services
The System Offices is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer dedicated to building a community of excellence, equity and diversity. The system offices welcome applications from women, underrepresented minorities, individuals with disabilities, protected veterans, sexual minority groups and other candidates who will lead and contribute to the diversification and enrichment of ideas and perspectives.
Close Date: 05/07/2018