Assistant Coordinator for New Student and Family Programs
Job ID: 24537
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job Code: 3079
Department: Frosh Orientation
Classification: Student Services Professional IB
Salary Range: $3,578/month - $5,061/month
FLSA status: Non - Exempt
San Jose State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package. For more information on programs available, please visit http://www.sjsu.edu/hr/benefits/
About the Position
*This is a one year temporary benefited position.*
The Assistant Coordinator for the New Student and Family Programs will provide program and administrative support for transition programs for first-year students, transfer students, and parent/family members. The Coordinator will also assist with the organization and execution of new student and parent/family member orientation programs, which introduce incoming students and their parent(s) and family members to the university community and its resources, policies, and procedures. The Coordinator will also support department efforts as it relates to the website, newsletters, parent programming and department administrative tasks. The incumbent works under direct supervision of the Senior Coordinator for New Student and Family Programs.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Work closely with Senior Coordinator to support orientation programs offered to new students and their parent/family members prior to the beginning of each semester.
- Communicate with campus departments to support their involvement in orientation sessions.
- Support programmatic efforts during Frosh and Transfer Orientation, including but not limited to set up, assisting with morning staff meetings, debrief meetings, and the solutions table at check in.
- Assist with events for parents and family members such as Parent and Family Weekend including signage, parking permits, marketing, and reserving space.
- Provide administrative support for the Family Advisory Board members, meetings and events.
- Organize, edit, and collect submissions for the academic planner for new students with oversight by the Senior Coordinator.
- Organize and edit content for the SJSU Online Orientation platform, collaborating with the Director and Senior Coordinator to ensure information is accurate and relevant.
- Assist in the recruitment and selection of student orientation leaders and student core staff.
- Assist with the creation of materials in support of the Orientation Leadership course.
- Contribute to the preparation of the Orientation Leader Retreat and Final Training including logistics, supplies, and materials.
Education and Experience
Equivalent to graduation from a four-year college or university in one of the behavioral sciences, public or business administration, or a job related field. Additional specialized experience during which the applicant has acquired and successfully applied the knowledge and abilities shown above may be substituted for the required education on a year for year basis. Possession of these knowledge and abilities is typically demonstrated through the equivalent of one year of experience in professional Student Services work at the entry trainee level. Equivalent amounts of graduate level job related education may be substituted for the required experience.
- One year of experience in the field of Student Affairs.
- Experience in orientation, transition, or retention programs.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Ability to successfully plan and implement large scale events
- Knowledge of orientation planning processes
- Ability to provide high quality customer service in a high demand environment
- Knowledge in the field of orientation, transition, and retention
- Ability to work collaboratively with a team of student and professional staff
- Skilled in development of student learning outcomes and the assessment cycle
- Strong administrative and organizational skills.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to compose business correspondence, edit and use correct spelling, punctuation and grammar.
- Ability to independently research answers to questions and make appropriate contacts of information and resolution of pertinent issues.
- Ability to utilize various software applications such as Word, Excel, Google Drive, and Internet Explorer with high degree of accuracy and speed.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks and timelines
- Ability to make appropriate decisions following campus policies and procedures.
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality at all times.
- Knowledge of orientation program development and major campus program planning
- Ability to work flexible hours. Some evening and weekend hours are required.
April 16, 2018
Application Screening begins May 2, 2018
Applications received before that date will receive first consideration.
This position is open until filled; however, applications received after screening has begun will be considered at the discretion of the university.
Required Application Material:
Letter of interest
Complete SJSU Online Employment Application
Please note that failure to completely fill out each section of the online application may result in your application not receiving consideration.
Note To Applicant
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check) is required for employment. SJSU will issue a conditional offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was conditionally offered the position.
The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (i.e. H1-B VISAS)
All San Jos State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Equal Employment Statement
SJSU is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, or disability.
It is the policy of SJSU to provide reasonable accommodations for applicants with disabilities who self disclose.
One Washington Square San Jose, CA 95192-0046