Senior Maintenance Mechanic, Forrestal Maintenance
Requisition # 2018-8669
Department Forrestal Maintenance
Category Building Trades and Technicians
Full-Time / Part-Time Full-Time
The Senior Maintenance Mechanic is a multi-trade position performing work tasks including, but not limited to electrical, HVAC, plumbing, pipefitting, painting, and carpentry work. The incumbent performs maintenance, repairs, alterations, and some construction work on building components and utility systems in the buildings on the Forrestal Campus with a minimum amount of supervision. The Senior Mechanics must follow University safety rules and regulations at all times.
With minimal supervision, the incumbent shall perform the following duties and responsibilities. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential duties.
- Safely and effectively performs journey-level maintenance to a wide range of building systems and components, including but not limited to tasks in the HVAC, plumbing, pipefitting, electrical, painting, carpentry, and mechanical disciplines,. In emergency and urgent situations, takes immediate steps to contain the problem and restore system to good working order.
- Works independently off written and electronic work orders from the University Computerized Maintenance Management System (CMMS), accepting responsibility for work assignments. Fully documents records of maintenance activity in the CMMS (Maximo).
- Ensures proper care in the safe use and maintenance of equipment and tools necessary to perform all assigned tasks. Follows department safety standards.
- Reads, understands, and interprets construction and equipment related documents, such as drawings, equipment manuals, and procedures.
- Adheres to the department's safety policy and procedures.
- Communicates in a clear, courteous, and effective manner (verbally and in writing) to co-workers, campus customers, customer service center, staff, and management.
- Assist other trades personnel with complex project work.
- Perform other duties as assigned, including overtime, after hours, special events, and emergency call back work. During emergencies, the Senior Mechanic is classified as a Core Essential Employee.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform the duties satisfactorily. The qualifications and skills listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required for the Senior Maintenance Mechanic position.
- Possess a High School diploma or equivalent (GED).
- Must have a minimum of three years journey level trades experience and possess the ability to perform as a journey level mechanic in one of the following core technical trades: HVAC, Plumbing, Pipefitting or Electrical. In the trade in which the mechanic is journey level, the mechanic shall be capable of performing the full technical range of the trade work.
- Completion of vocational/technical education or equivalency in education and experience, resulting in journey level skill status in one of the core technical trades (listed in qualification #2).
- Possess understanding and capability to perform all essential duties in a safe and efficient, and responsible manner.
- Possess strong trouble shooting capability and the ability to analyze equipment performance issues.
- Must have excellent ability and interpersonal skills to work both independently and with other trades personnel and customers.
- As a core essential employee the incumbent must be available for after hours and emergency call back work, which may involve the carrying of a cell phone.
- Must communicate clearly and effectively, both verbally and in writing.
- Must have the ability to study, comprehend, and effectively utilize campus and departmental technology and computerized software systems.
- Must have a valid driver's license and be able to pass a background check.
- Must be able to meet the physical requirements listed below.
Advanced skills in maintenance of HVAC equipment including but not limited to refrigeration systems, hydronic and steam heating, humidification systems, boilers and boiler controls and cooling towers.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: The physical requirements described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- stand or walk 2 - 4 hours at one time, up to 6 -8 hours per day;
- sit for less than 2 hours during an 8 hour day;
- operates motor vehicles or heavy equipment (e.g., forklift, high reach, cherry picker) occasionally (less than 33% of the workday)
- lift or carry up to 80 pounds occasionally (less than 33% of the workday);
- lift up to 80 pounds to waist height and up to 35 pounds in a range of motions from floor to overhead:
- frequently use hands for simple grasping, fine manipulation, pushing or pulling (34 - 66% of the workday);
- occasionally push or pull with forces up to 80 pull, squat, kneel, knee stand, dig, use jack hammer or chipping tools, lie down, or lift overhead (less than 33% of the work day);
- frequently push or pull with forces up to 35 pounds, bend, climb ladders or stairs, or reach overhead (34 - 66% of the work day);
- work outdoors in a variety of temperatures and environmental conditions;
- possess ability to work at heights, full range of body motions and physical agility, and ability to maintain balance;
Princeton University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EEO IS THE LAW
Standard Weekly Hours
Eligible for Overtime
Essential Services Personnel (see policy for detail)
Physical Capacity Exam Required
Valid Driver's License Required
Connect With Us! Join our Talent Network to receive updates about working at Princeton.
Princeton University job offers are contingent upon the candidate's successful completion of a background check, reference checks, and pre-employment screening, as applicable. The type and extent of background check, reference checks, and pre-employment screening may vary depending on the requirements and/or functions of the job and the candidate's current employment status with Princeton University.
Princeton University is a residential community and an employer that operates continuously 24 hours a day. Essential services employees perform jobs that are necessary and required to maintain basic University operations during scheduled closures or unscheduled suspension of normal operations due to emergencies, events, or other situations. Essential services employees may be asked and/or required to perform jobs or duties that fall outside of their normal job classification during an emergency event. Learn more about our Essential Services policy.
Go to our careers site.