Intercollegiate Athletics - ASSOCIATE ATHLETIC DIRECTOR
Vacancy ID S2270 Job Title ASSOCIATE ATHLETIC DIRECTOR Working Title Department Intercollegiate Athletics School/Parent Organization Intercollegiate Athletics Division Student Affairs and Campus Life Employment Category Fulltime-Regular Anticipated start date 07/02/2018 If temporary, expected end date Hours per week 37.5 Weeks Per Year 52.2 Normal Start Time 8:30 AM Normal End Time 5:00 PM Position/Job Summary
Provide assistance in the administration of a comprehensive intercollegiate athletic program to include participation in the overall planning for programs and the development and implementation of departmental policies and procedures. Oversee one of two main areas; either budget or NCAA compliance (determined based on experience). Budget responsibilities include oversight of the budget planning process, managing the departmental operating budgets, assisting the Director in identifying budget priorities, and providing procurement oversight. NCAA compliance responsibilities include oversight of NCAA compliance and ensuring college compliance with the letter and spirit of NCAA and conference rules. Coordinate contest and facilities scheduling, and assist with game operations. Serve as the Title IX Coordinator, supervise various sports teams, participate as a member of assigned committees, and represent the department at athletic events.
1. Participate in the planning and implementing of strategies to strengthen the intercollegiate athletics program; recommend to the Director policy and procedural changes to enhance departmental operations.
2. Based on expertise, may manage the departmental operating budgets to include preparing, monitoring, and reconciling each sport budget. Identify available funds and serve as a resource for coaches and administrative staff in resolving operational budgeting issues. Serve as liaison with the Budget Office and the Office of Financial Services in the reconciliation and disbursement of funds. Assist the Director in identifying budget priorities through trend analysis. Prepare spreadsheets, budget scenarios, and written recommendations reflecting the operational needs of each sport.
3. Based on expertise, may serve as NCAA compliance coordinator. Ensure compliance with intercollegiate athletics program reporting requirements. Ensure that the college's athletics programs are in compliance with NCAA rules and regulations governing recruitment, awards and benefits, playing and practice seasons, and sports camps and clinics by developing and conducting NCAA rules education for coaches, student-athletes, and alumni.
4. Develop, demonstrate, and promote multicultural awareness and contribute to cultivating an inclusive, diverse and respectful College community. Demonstrate a commitment to diversity and inclusion as a college priority, communicate to employees an expectation of behavior that is civil and inclusive when interacting with all staff, faculty, students and visitors and promote a flexible, collaborative and inclusive work and living environment.
5. Provide direct supervision to the professional coaches for assigned sports teams. Recommend various personnel actions including hiring, merit recommendations, promotions, transfers, vacation schedules, and other actions.
6. Coordinate and participate in evaluation of coaches for specified sports; submit written evaluations to the Director; participate in post-evaluation interviews; meet with coaches to discuss probationary terms and expectations when necessary.
7. Provide assistance in coordinating position hires and participate in the search and hiring processes.
8. Serve as a resource to the campus community in matters pertaining to intercollegiate athletics and provide assistance to the Director and Coaches in resolving issues involving the use of facilities, equipment, tournaments and post-season contest set-ups and logistics, and issues involving the welfare of student athletes.
9. Oversee the scheduling of all athletic contest to include serving as liaison with the Ithaca College coaching staff and opposing institutions in the creation of an acceptable schedule, developing and monitoring related budgets, processing contracts, coordinating schedule and facility changes, and preparation of correspondence with participating teams and governing organizations (NCAA, ECAC). Serve as liaison with the School of Health Sciences and Human Performance in scheduling the indoor facilities (Hill Center) and ensuring proper event set-ups.
10. Oversee the coordination of travel arrangements for all athletic teams to include negotiating rates and accommodations with hotels, bus companies, and other vendors or service providers. Monitor and reconcile travel budgets, review and approve travel expenses prior to payment and resolve travel and accommodation concerns/problems. Work in conjunction with the appropriate head coach in planning and approving all travel requests and related accommodations.
11. Oversee the management of assigned athletic events including training event personnel and distribution/payment of work-study monies. Manage concession stands at various athletic contests; audit and reconcile cash flow; prepare and submit related reports.
12. Participate in fund-raising, public relations, and promotional activities and events relating to the intercollegiate athletics program to include home game activities and the MVP program.
13. Represent the department at various athletic events, campus and community events; serve on campus and community committees as appropriate.
Bachelor's degree and a minimum of 5 years of athletic administration and/or coaching experience at the college or university level. Strong interpersonal, management, communication and organizational skills, an in-depth knowledge of NCAA rules and regulations and the ability to effectively represent the College within and outside of the campus community; Ability to cultivate an inclusive, diverse and welcoming environment; ability to treat all people equitably and with a sensitivity and awareness to cultural difference; demonstrated ability to hold others accountable for behavior that is supportive of a community that is diverse and inclusive are required. A master's degree and athletic administration experience at a Division III institution is preferred.
Ithaca College is committed to building a diverse academic community and encourages members of underrepresented groups to apply. Experience that contributes to the diversity of the college is appreciated.
Instructions for submitting your application:
Interested applicants must apply online at http://ithaca.edu/jobs/ and attach a resume and cover letter. Questions about online application should be directed to the Office of Human Resources at (607) 274-8000. Screening of applications will begin immediately.
Work authorization (select one): Visa sponsorship is not provided for this position Department description College Description
At Ithaca College, a comprehensive residential campus community of 6,500 students, we strive to be at the forefront of the higher education landscape. We offer a distinct integrative learning experience that makes students ready for the personal, professional, and global challenges of our age.
We seek candidates who embrace integrative learning and want to be a part of this exciting time in Ithaca College history. We encourage creative collaboration and innovation in our faculty and staff, providing support and resources for them to grow in their fields and lead students to their own innovative ideas and achievements.
We welcome different ways of thinking and look for candidates with unique points of view and life experiences. We are inclusive of individuals with a wide range of cultural, personal, and professional backgrounds, talents, and skills. Our campus is a vibrant and rewarding community where diverse minds can learn, succeed, and excel.
When reviewing candidates, we are looking for indicators of a number of core competencies. Prospective candidates must be adaptable, collaborative, inclusive, respectful, responsive, results driven, and sustainable. They must communicate effectively, demonstrate leadership, exhibit professional integrity and ethics, take initiative, value personal and professional development, and show that they will engage in the college.
Nestled in the heart of New York State's scenic Finger Lakes region, Ithaca College sits atop South Hill overlooking picturesque Cayuga Lake and is just minutes away from the city center. Combining small town warmth and charm with the vibrancy of a college community, the thriving and culturally diverse city of Ithaca has been rated by Kiplinger's as one of the top 10 places to live in the United States.
To learn more about Ithaca College, visit us at http://ithaca.edu
Market Hiring Range FLSA Status Exempt Is this position eligible for benefits? Yes
Documents Needed to Apply
- Cover Letter
- Reference List
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).