Support Services Associate
Position Title: Support Services Associate
Position Number: 004010
Full-time or Part-time: Full Time
Department: Business Services - Bus & Fin
Posting Number: 0401681
Job Category: Clerical and Secretarial
Hiring Range: $26,132-$29,696
Minimum salary: $23,332
Maximum salary: $51,290
Overall Position Competency: Contributing
Description of primary duties and responsibilities:
This position is being re-advertised. All previous applicants are still under consideration and do not need to re-apply.
Primary Purpose of Organizational Unit:
The Fayetteville State University (FSU) Mail Center falls under the organizational structure of Business Services within the Business and Finance Division. The FSU University Mail Center operates as a Federal Contract Station, whose mission is to provide prompt and efficient service to all of our customers; to ensure that all mail is handled in a professional manner and that the customer is receiving the service he/she is requiring; to keep abreast of the latest mail service policies and procedures, trends, software, equipment, supplies to keep our customers informed in order to provide legendary customer service; to provide funds for inventory and capital improvements; to develop and contribute any residual funds to a scholarship program for the University. Using an empowered team approach, our goal is to focus on continuous improvement of customer relations, while maintaining our commitment to providing the highest level of service possible.
Activities performed through the University Mail Center, but not limited too, are as follows:
• Sorting of incoming and outgoing mail according to type and destination.
• Disbursement of all U.S. Mail for resident students, faculty and staff.
• Weighing of letters and parcels, computing of mailing costs based on type, weight, and destination and
affixing of postage for all out-going mail for the campus community.
• Metered postage, money orders and International Mail Services.
• Parcel/Special Service Mail (Express Mail, Certified or Registered Mail, Bulk Mail, etc.).
• Sales and collection of payment for products such as stamps, prepaid mail envelopes, and money orders.
• Rental of post office boxes to customers.
• Completing of forms regarding changes of address, or theft or loss of mail, or for special services such
as registered or priority mail.
• Answering of questions regarding mail regulations and procedures, postage rates and post office boxes.
• Responding to complaints regarding mail theft; delivery problems, and lost or damaged mail; filling out
forms and making appropriate referrals for investigation.
• U.S. Postal merchandise for sale through an official USPS (United States Postal Service) contract window.
It is the intent of the FSU Mail Center to acquaint University departments with services offered by this unit, as well as
Description of Work Continued:
Primary Purpose of Position:
Work in this class involves the performance of more complex and varied mail duties in a mail center operation, and also serve as a window clerk in a Federal Contract station. Individual is responsible for the more complex sorting procedures and involved in rate determination for a wide variety of classes of mail. Individual is responsible for the security of, delivery and pickup of all University mail, some of a time sensitive nature. Individual is responsible for the handling of federal funds thru the sale of stamps, postal money orders, parcel post, and special handling mail, such as registered, and certified, insured, forwarding of USPS mail and the completion of various federal forms. Individual is responsible for inventory and cash control, including daily balancing and accounting procedures. Work is performed independently under general supervision and is reviewed through conferences with Supervisor and checks of various completed forms and records.
Minimum Education and Experience Requirements:
High school diploma or equivalency.
Knowledge skills and abilities:
A through working knowledge of the various types of U.S. mail and the proper method of handling each; general knowledge of Federal postal guidelines and procedures; ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions; physical strength sufficient to handle heavy packages and parcel post; ability to maintain routine clerical records and to prepare reports from these records; ability to make rapid and accurate arithmetical calculations; ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees, salesmen, and the general public; ability to supervise the work of subordinate Mail Center personnel.
General knowledge of technical aspects of functions and capabilities of computers and related peripheral equipment and information technology; knowledge of the principles and methods used in obtaining maximum utilization of computing equipment; general knowledge of accounts receivable, accounts payables, bookkeeping, accounting, report writing, and general office procedures. Ability to communicate effectively in oral and written form and to establish and maintain effective working relationships.
Graduation from high school and one year of experience, preferably mail related or in public sales that involved the handling of money and/or in the USPS system; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Additional Training/Experience: Previous experience in the operation of a University Mail Center, Federal Contract Station, or the U.S. Postal Service setting is preferred.
Valid State of North Carolina Driver's License required
Closing Date: 04/20/2018
Open Until Filled: No
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Do you have a high school diploma or GED or an equivalent combination of education and experience?
- * This position requires a valid drivers license. Do you currently possess a valid State of North Carolina drivers license?
- * How many years of experience do you possess in the operation of a University Mail Center, Federal Contract Station, or the U.S. Postal Service?
- Less than 1 year
- 1 - 4 years
- More than 4 years
- * Please describe your experience which involved the handling of money. Did this experience include time at the United States Postal Service?
(Open Ended Question)
Optional & Required Documents
- Cover Letter
- Resume/Curriculum Vitae
- Other Document
This position is subject to the successful completion of an employment background check. An employment background check includes a criminal background check, employment verification, reference checks, license verification (if applicable), academic verification and credit history check (if applicable).
Fayetteville State University is committed to equality of educational opportunity and employment and does not discriminate against applicants, students, or employees based on race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, disability, genetic information or veteran status. Moreover, Fayetteville State University values diversity and actively seeks to recruit talented students, faculty, and staff from diverse backgrounds.
Fayetteville State University is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor and seeks priority referrals of protected veterans for our openings.