Assistant Athletic Director/Director for Strategic Communications
Functional Title Assistant Athletic Director/Director for Strategic Communications
Position Type Staff
The Assistant AD/Director is expected to navigate the rapidly changing world of communications and will aggressively position the department to take advantage of opportunities to build the UNCG brand through outbound media, video, online resources, social media and emerging mediums. The Assistant AD/Director will operate UNCG Athletics Strategic Communications as a media outlet to share the messages of Spartan Athletics and be motivated to push the department to be among the most innovative in intercollegiate athletics.
The Assistant Athletic Director/Director for Strategic Communications reports directly to the Senior Associate Director of Athletics for External Operations. The duties and responsibilities of the Assistant Athletic Director/Director of Strategic Communications may include but are not limited to:
- Oversee the Spartan Radio Network and Spartan All Access Webcasts
- Interact with local, regional, and national media and organizations with dispersal of athletic related material
- Develop, recommend and implement strategic communications policies and procedures
- Write and edit articles for various publications including website maintenance
- Ensure publications meet the quality control standards of the department
- Prepare and monitor the Strategic Communications and Broadcasting budgets
- Supervise a staff of two full-time Communication assistants, and recruit, train and maintain a staff of volunteer workers who will serve as statisticians and interns
- Oversee department relationship with the media studies program which may include serving as an instructor for one class each semester
- Responsible for all procedures to be followed in nominating and promoting athletes of all academic and athletic season and post-season honors
Must have a minimum of three years experience, bachelor's degree in journalism, communication, English or equivalent subject, and/or equivalent combination of education and experience in an NCAA Division I Media Relations Office are required, master's degree preferred.
Must be flexible to travel with assigned teams for competitions as required, including weekend and/or holidays.
Demonstrated excellent written and verbal communication skills and interpersonal skills.
Demonstrated strong grasp of the English language including syntax, grammar, punctuation and spelling.
Demonstrated reliability and ability to perform under deadline pressure and ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously with conflicting deadlines.
Demonstrated experience in video production and editing, social media, producing media guides, writing press releases, and building relationships with coaches and media.
Computer skills in word processing and desktop publishing are required.
Familiarity with media and standards of media relations.
Must be proficient with in-game operations of Automated Scorebook and StatCrew.
Must work with considerable independence and significant creativity and initiative.
Knowledge of basic web (HTML).
Statistical experience with baseball, women's basketball and volleyball preferred.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Applicants are asked to provide the names, email addresses, and phone numbers of at least three (3) References, in the References section of the electronic application. These References will be solicited by the UNCGjobsearch system via email, and asked to provide a confidential Letter of Reference/Recommendation on behalf of the applicant. This will occur as soon as an applicant successfully applies to this position.
Applicants are required to upload the following document:
- Cover Letter
- Unofficial Transcripts
- List of References
Applicants will have the option to upload the following documents:
- Reference Letters 1,2,3 (letters that applicant may have available at the time of applying)
List of references of at least three (3) professional references should include:
Type of reference (Professional, Supervisor, Colleague, Academic or Personal). One (1) of those references will need to be a current or previous supervisor.
Contact Phone Number
Applications are not successfully submitted until an online confirmation number has been received at the end of the application process.
Recruitment Range Commensurate Upon Experience
Org #-Department Intercollegiate Athletics - 85001
Job Open Date 04/16/2018
For Best Consideration Date 04/30/2018
Job Close Date
Open Until Filled Yes
Type of Appointment Permanent
Number of Months per Year 12
- Cover Letter
- List of References
- Unofficial Transcript(s)
- Reference Letter 1
- Reference Letter 2
- Reference Letter 3
- Writing Sample(s)
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Have you acquired your Bachelor's Degree?
- * Do you have a minimum of two (2) years experience working within sports information, media relations, public relations or electronic and print media?
- * Do you possess computer skills in word processing and desktop-publishing (Adobe In-Design and Photoshop)?
- * Are you proficient with in-game operations of Automated Scorebook and StatCrew?
- * Are you knowledgeable of basic web (HTML)?
- * Do you have statistical experience with the following sports: baseball, women's basketball and volleyball?
- * Please indicate how you learned of the vacant position for which you are applying:
- UNCGjobsearch Website
- Piedmont Triad Area Newspaper
- The Chronicle of Higher Education
- Inside Higher Ed
- Other professional journal / website
- UNC School System Job Board
- Personal Networking
- If you selected "Other", please provide the name of the resource here.
(Open Ended Question)
To learn more or to apply for this position please visit our UNCGjobsearch website at https://jobsearch.uncg.edu