Research Associate II - Institutional Reporting and Analysis
Houston Community College (HCC) is an open-admission, public institution of higher education offering a high-quality, affordable education for academic advancement, workforce training, career development and lifelong learning to prepare individuals in our diverse communities for life and work in a global and technological society. We're proud to say that 98 percent of our graduates step into a job in their field of study immediately upon graduation. One of the largest community colleges in the nation, HCC has served the Greater Houston area for over four decades. Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, and the Schools Commission on Colleges, we offer 300+ associate degree and certificate programs to 75,000+ students across 13 Centers of Excellence and online each semester. We are proud to be No.1 among all community colleges in the nation in providing associate degrees to minorities and No.1 in educating international students, with 10.4 percent of our student population from outside the USA. Our vision is to become the Employer of Choice in support of our mission for Student Success by attracting, retaining and motivating the best employees.
Play a central role at HCC as you keep our everyday operations running like clockwork. You'll get the chance to make things happen and work closely with inspiring leaders across different parts of the institution. Whether your role is supportive, administrative, financial, or something else, you'll be part of a dynamic team that not only provides HCC students with cutting-edge academic and career tools, it also takes care of its people.
We are currently seeking a Research Analyst II - Institutional Reporting and Analysis, who will advance the institution's proud tradition of excellence in academics, student life and community service.
You: You can envision data systems based on end goals, and you have the analytic capability and technical skills to build, test and implement the system.
Your mission: Provide programming and analytic support to HCC and the Office of Institutional Research.
A typical day: You'll part of the technical team that provides programming and analytic support to HCC and the Office of Institutional Research. You will be managing the processes related to submitting institutional reports for state and federal agencies including the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board (THECB) and ensuring certification of reports by the specified deadlines. In addition, you will work with other institutional offices to develop and maintain edit reports to verify data. You will also monitor and apply changes in laws, regulations, and guidelines affecting state and federal reporting.
Next steps: If you believe this is the type of position where you could put your skills and knowledge to good use, and remain challenged and learning new things all the time, we're looking for you! Your next step should be to apply for this position today.
Houston is a city with limitless possibilities:
- Third-largest city in the U.S. and home to 54 Fortune 500 companies, second only to New York City's 55.
- 145 languages are spoken here.
- Overall after-taxes living costs are 5.6 percent below the average for all 308 urban areas recently surveyed.
- Houston is a major-league sports town, and don't forget the annual Houston Livestock Show & Rodeo.
- The weather is great! Mild winters ensure that outdoor activities can be enjoyed year-round.
- World-renowned medical care. The Houston metro area has long been known for its first-rate health care system, with many Houston area hospitals consistently ranking among the nation's top institutions.
- With over 150 museums and cultural institutions in the Greater Houston area, museums are a large part of Houston's cultural scene.
- Houston is the Culture & Culinary Capital of Texas with more than 7,500 restaurants and eating establishments covering 60+ cuisines.
If this sounds like the role for you and you're ready to join an amazing team, please apply right away.
It is the policy of the Houston Community College System to provide equal employment opportunities without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity and expression, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation or veteran's status. Individuals with disabilities, who require special accommodations to interview, should contact the Employment Services Office at (713) 718-8565.
HCC values its employees and their contributions, promotes opportunities for their professional growth and development, and provides a positive working and learning environment that encourages diversity, innovation and creativity, and inclusion.
This position is part of the technical team that provides programming and analytic support to HCC and the Office of Institutional Research. Manages the processes related to submitting institutional reports for state and federal agencies including the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board (THECB) and ensuring certification of reports by the specified deadlines. Works with other institutional offices to develop and maintain edit reports to verify data. Monitors and applies changes in laws, regulations, and guidelines affecting state and federal reporting.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Ensures that reports are consistent with reporting regulations and guidelines, and that external reports successfully pass internal and external checks.
- Recommends changes to institutional processes to improve data quality;
- Builds applicable data sets and reporting capability into existing data systems;
- Works with information technology to develop programs to extract data from ERP;
- Analyzes institutional needs related to data integrity and makes recommendations as to improving related business process;
- Develops and maintains documentation for applications and processes related to external reporting;
- Manages state reporting processes, including data quality, report submissions and certifications;
- Coordinates and communicates, both orally and in writing, with the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board and other state agencies, federal agencies, and other external organization regarding reporting processes, functions, regulations, guidelines, submissions, corrections, etc.;
- Confers with the Information Technology and the Admissions and Records offices and other applicable personnel to identify and correct process issues;
- Coordinates with appropriate institutional departments and personnel to ensure and confirm the accuracy of reported data;
- Coordinates with information technology staff to ensure that computer programs that generate state and federal reports do so in a manner consistent with reporting regulations and guidelines;
- Conducts data audits of institutional data sources to ensure data integrity and makes recommendations for modifications to improve data integrity;
- Monitors, analyzes and evaluates complex information from internal and external sources;
- Reconciles institutional reports with THECB and federal IPEDS edits;
- Attends local, state, and regional conferences, workshops, seminars, or meetings to stay abreast of current institutional research methods and state/federal laws, regulations, and guidelines affecting official reporting;
- Design, develop and maintain computer programs and analytics that use institutional data sets including the data warehouse;
- Use data management tools to develop, maintain and manipulate large data sets.
- Provide training and presentations; and
- Respond to ad hoc requests for data and information.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform the essential duties and responsibilities listed above. The qualifications listed below are representative of the education, experience, knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required.
Bachelor's degree or equivalent required.
Eight (8) years related work experience may be considered in lieu of degree.
Five (5) years of related experience required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Proficiency with MS Office Suite especially Excel required;
- Knowledge of standard data processes required;
- Ability to attend to detail related to data accuracy and integrity required;
- Familiarity with Texas state reporting guidelines and issues preferred;
- Working knowledge of PeopleSoft or equivalent enterprise management system in a higher education setting preferred;
- Experience using large data sets and data base reporting tools like Access, WebFocus a plus;
- Familiarity with data warehouse design principles, data mining, and/or practical experience with business intelligence tools a plus;
- Understanding of Higher Education business practices preferred;
- Must be able to plan and control complex projects, meet deadlines, and balance multiple demands;
- Must exhibit flexibility in working in a team environment;
- Must have excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication skills;
- Must handle projects within the bounds of professional ethics and maintain data confidentiality as required; and
- Must have knowledge of diverse groups, working with a multicultural workforce, and sensitivity and appreciation of cultural differences.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties requested by their supervisor.
This job description may be revised upon development of other duties and changes in responsibilities.