Assistant Director of Facilities - Beckman Institute
Assistant Director of Facilities
Beckman Institute for Advanced Science and Technology
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
The Beckman Institute for Advanced Science and Technology seeks to fill a vacancy for a full-time Assistant Director of Facilities. The Beckman Institute is a 313,000 sq. ft. building with a variety of space types and functions including wet labs, dry labs, centralized research facilities, and meeting and office space. The function of the Assistant Director of Facilities position is to provide comprehensive support for all of these facilities. These duties include facilities project planning and construction oversight, laboratory safety, and operations management.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Facilities Project Planning and Documentation Duties and Responsibilities:
• Work with the Director of Facilities to plan and coordinate facilities maintenance, repair, remodeling, and major construction projects. Help to ensure work is coordinated so as to minimize disruption of research and other building program activities. This includes interacting with faculty and staff, Facilities and Service, an internal or external consultants and contractors.
• Assist the Director of Facilities with the design and specification of projects such as remodeling of space and changes to building systems. Use AutoCAD and other software tools to plan, specify and document changes to building facilities.
• Enter, update and audit records in facilities space databases.
Research Facilities Safety Duties and Responsibilities:
• Play lead role in maintaining safe laboratory practices throughout the Beckman Institute.
• Engage local campus safety groups to manage comprehensive safety audits of laboratories focusing on identification and mitigation of hazards.
• Interact with faculty, staff, and other research personnel to establish, document, communicate, and implement prudent laboratory practices.
• Establish and maintain an electronic chemical inventory system.
• Manage maintenance of autoclaves and glassware washers. Schedule preventative maintenance for this equipment.
• Oversee the Beckman research group safety contacts program.
• Consult with research personnel and department staff on experiment and/or process-specific safety needs. Assist with implementation as needed.
• Coordinate laboratory safety inspections. Review reports and order testing and corrective actions necessary to maintain minimum safety standards in all wet and dry laboratories.
• Serve as principal liaison between Beckman Institute and various departments on campus to ensure overall compliance with various regulations involving OSHA, RCRA, NFPA and ACGIHA.
Facilities Operations Management and Other Duties and Responsibilities:
• Prepare periodic reports on operation of the Beckman Institute facilities and assist with budget preparation.
• Coordinate the biennial space utilization audit.
• Coordinate work by F&S craft, custodial and grounds personnel. Submit work orders and track progress in collaboration with the Director of Facilities.
• Serve as the primary emergency contact for the Beckman Institute for 24/7 contacts by Public Safety and Facilities & Services.
• Work with Beckman Security to assist in providing a safe and secure work environment.
• Represent Beckman Institute leadership at campus security and safety meetings or events.
• Supervise, train, direct workflow, prepare job descriptions, and complete performance evaluations for the Research Facility Attendants and the Shipping/Receiving personnel.
• Manage property accounting and coordinate the biennial property accounting audit.
• Pursue ongoing professional development. Stay abreast of developments in technologies and procedures related to lab safety and facilities management.
• Bachelor's degree in Engineering, Physical Sciences, Architecture or related field required. (Alternate degree fields will be considered/accepted depending on depth and breadth of experience as it relates to this position and the mission/vision of the Institute)
• Two years building and facility experience in a university setting, appropriate industrial setting, or similar large complex organizational environment required
• Two years of supervisory experience required
• Two years of experience in reading and interpreting construction drawings and specifications required
• Two years of experience in managing a diverse portfolio of facilities and construction-related projects required
• Excellent interpersonal and customer service skills, including written and oral communication skills required
• Ability to work with a variety of constituents, including faculty, unit administrators, Facilities and Services staff, and external architects, engineers, and contractors required
• Ability to handle multiple tasks and priorities simultaneously required.
• Ability to work independently required
• Two years of facilities operations experience in a laboratory research building preferred
• Laboratory safety experience (e.g. performing safety self-audits, providing safety training, etc.) preferred
• Experience with various laboratory biological safety levels preferred
• Experience using AutoCAD preferred
• Hands-on chemical laboratory or lab manager experience preferred
• Accredited safety certification (e.g. Certified Safety Professional and/or Certified Industrial Hygienist), either achieved or in-progress preferred
The Assistant Director of Facilities is a full-time, benefits-eligible Academic Professional position. Salary is commensurate with skills and experience. In order to ensure full consideration, applications must be received by April 27, 2018. Applicants may be interviewed before the closing date; however, no hiring decision will be made until after that date. The expected start is as soon as possible after the closing date. To apply, please create your candidate profile at http://jobs.illinois.edu and upload your cover letter, resume, and names/contact information for three references as a single PDF file by April 27, 2018. All requested information must be entered for your application to be considered. For further information, please contact Beckman Institute Human Resources at email@example.com.
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO. To learn more about the University's commitment to diversity, please visit http://www.inclusiveillinois.illinois.edu
College Name or Administrative Unit: Vice Chancellor for Research
Category: Academic Professional
Title: Assistant Director of Facilities - Beckman Institute
Open Date: 04/13/2018
Close Date: 04/27/2018
Organization Name: Beckman Facilities