Assistant Director of Development – University Advancement
Florida’s newest state university is looking for exceptional candidates to serve as an Assistant Director of Development in University Advancement.
Florida Poly opened its doors on August 16, 2014, as the state’s 12th university and the only one dedicated to core subjects in Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM). The non-traditional academic environment focuses on applied learning, specifically in technology and engineering. Small class sizes give faculty the opportunity to work closely with high-caliber students, and the most advanced technology – including a Supercomputer, 3D printing lab, media lab and nanotechnology lab – sets Florida Poly apart from other state universities. Florida Poly’s innovative approach to higher education allows students to learn strong fundamentals within a traditional university department structure, while giving them opportunities to apply their learning through research and projects in emerging high-tech concentrations like Cyber Security, Big Data Analytics, Machine Intelligence and more. The University partners closely with industry leading firms, and faculty members are rewarded for more than just publishing. Industry involvement, problem solving, and the commercialization of technology and research through start-ups and small businesses are also encouraged.
Lakeland, home to Florida Polytechnic University’s ultra-modern campus, is located along the I-4 High Tech Corridor halfway between Tampa and Orlando. Our central Florida community combines small town comfort with big-city culture. Florida’s High Tech Corridor is home to 11,000 high-tech businesses, and Polk County alone has more than 600,000 residents, four universities and one state college. Lakeland is just a 45-minute drive from Walt Disney World, Universal Studios, professional sports teams, and thriving performing art centers. With no income tax in Florida, and home values increasing 14.3% on average over the past year, Lakeland and central Florida continue to rise among the best places to live and work.
SUMMARY OF POSITION ROLE/RESPONSIBILITIES:
Florida Polytechnic University Advancement seeks a proactive and entrepreneurial Assistant Director of Development who can identify, cultivate and solicit donors, serve as a development liaison, support fundraising special projects and development initiatives for a comprehensive fundraising program that advances the mission of the University with a focus on Florida’s Hi Tech Corridor and the Polk and Hillsborough County areas, but will need to assist in the Tampa area as needed. The Assistant Director of Development will be based at the Lakeland Development office, but will travel extensively throughout the region.
· Cultivates and solicits philanthropic support by developing and maintaining long term relationships with assigned prospects; identifies new prospects and integrates them into the established cultivation process; nurtures a culture of philanthropic support with a focus on Florida’s Hi Tech Corridor; carries out the fundraising priorities of the university and foundation.
· Supports fundraising strategies to ensure proper acknowledgement, recognition, and stewardship of donors.
· Participates in developing marketing material and assists in preparing reports and prospect research materials.
· Builds working relationships and serves as department liaison to internal and external constituents.
· Manages information on and activities with key constituents and provides timely reporting through the Customer Relationship Management System
· Participates in professional development organizations, committees, boards, and meetings; travels locally, and out-of-town as necessary.
· Participates in special projects and other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
· Ability to develop and cultivate relationships with industry leaders and potential donors
· Ability to solicit and close gifts
· Ability to maintain relationships and interact with diplomacy and tact amid influential clients, high net worth individuals, and diverse groups
· Ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality
· Strong interpersonal, relationship building, and presentation skills
· Strong professional verbal and written communication skills
· Strong organizational and documentation skills
· Knowledge of development/fundraising concepts and appropriate solicitation techniques
· Ability to work remotely and without direct supervision
· Ability to schedule and execute outreach campaigns and fundraising events.
· Ability to analyze data, confirm results, and brainstorm new campaigns.
· Ability to manage multiple projects and work within deadlines.
· Ability to travel as needed.
· Bachelor's degree
· Three to five years of outside sales, fundraising/development, business development and/or related experience
· Master’s degree in an appropriate field
· Fundraising experience
· Economic Development or Chamber of Commerce employment experience
· Development experience in higher education
· Demonstrated experience with establishing and cultivating relationships over a long sales/fundraising cycle
REQUIRED LICENSES, CERTIFICATIONS, AND/OR OTHER SPECIFIC REQUIREMENTS OF LAW:
- Must possess a valid driver’s license.
- This position requires a criminal background check.
- This position is subject to federal and state privacy regulations.
NORMAL WORK SCHEDULE: Monday – Friday, 8:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m. Occasional overtime (weekends and evenings) may be required.
EXPECTED STARTING SALARY: $52K - $62K
APPLICATION DEADLINE DATE: The position is open until filled.