The Communications Assistant is responsible for a spectrum of activities, including coordinating with appropriate College of Engineering (CoE) departmental contacts for assistance with events, graphic design and website content. The Communications Assistant supports the CoE by providing logistical and administrative coordination of events; designing and assisting to update and maintain the College’s website; creating and designing of logos, publications, reports, e-newsletters, invitations, displays, banners, brochures, promotional materials, e-marketing and outreach campaign materials; managing and communicating event planning timelines with department lead; assisting with general external and internal communications; collecting and maintaining databases, media lists and analytics.
- Coordinate with all responsible managers for administrative implementation of events/activities including timelines and working with the appropriate department contacts for negotiating vendors and venue contracts, design and printing of invitations and responses, registration, ticketing, revenue tracking, gift bags, webpage, etc.
- Assist with event concept building and theme development with the appropriate department contact
- Assist as needed to coordinate and manage volunteers including assigning, scheduling and coordinating all duties with regards to events and activities with the appropriate department contact
- Supervise casual/student help at events, as needed
- Working with Director of Communications, assist in developing and serve as content lead to create online, direct and social marketing support materials including wireframes, page designs, website graphics, layouts, treatments, and related materials for internal and external communities, including brochures, fact sheets, advertisements, forms, e-newsletters, invitations, online marketing and outreach campaigns, using a combination of computerized and manual methods to uphold CoE’s brand, look and feel.
- Coordinate with departmental contacts to ensure various webpages have up-to-date, accurate and relevant copy, links and images.
- Research and implement tools to increase the websites efficiency, reach and utility (i.e. blogs, multimedia content and data collection forms)
- Review materials to maintain a consistent look and feel throughout all external webpage properties
- Maintain website language using HTML and CSS, as necessary
- Utilize design and production artist skills to maintain visual continuity of website pages
- Assure web-based information is archived for future needs and reference
- Participate in meetings that require graphic design consultation or services
- Additional duties may be assigned
- Assist with photography at events
- Represent the College at community events
Education and Experience – Bachelor’s Degree preferred in Communications, English, Public Relations, Marketing, English, or some related field with some basic graphic or commercial design, technical illustrations design software and web programming, desktop publications and similar graphic presentation work including photography; at least one year of experience in communications preferably in the non-profit or education sector; capability of self-starting and ability to prioritize duties with a focus on attention to detail; ability to work independently, as well as in a team setting and think collaboratively, strategically and creatively.
Knowledge of principals, practices, materials, and techniques of desktop publishing and basic graphic layout, design concepts, fundamentals of printing processes, composition and paste-up processes, computer aided graphic arts software, including, but not limited to Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator, Adobe InDesign, Adobe Acrobat Professional and Quark Xpress; as well as correct business English, including spelling, grammar and punctuation.
Strong attention to detail and the ability to manage multiple projects, establish workload priorities, and meet deadlines in a fast-paced, complex environment with frequently changing priorities; and ability to manage multiple projects at a time and meet deadlines is crucial.
Manual Skills – Proficiency with Word and MS Office required.
Communication Skills – Strong spoken, written and research skills; proficient with Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator, Adobe InDesign, Adobe Acrobat Professional and Quark Xpress required.
Hours of Work – 8:30 a.m.-5:00 p.m. M-F and must be able to work evenings and weekends to support event functions, as needed.Apply online. Position #P100037986
The University of Miami is home to some of the brightest minds in the world. We are committed to educating and nurturing students, creating knowledge, and providing service to our community and beyond. The University of Miami offers competitive salaries and a comprehensive benefits package including medical and dental benefits, tuition remission, vacation, paid holidays and much more. The University of Miami is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. Come join us!]]>