Administrative Assistant - Academic Services and Office of Research, Planning and Institutional Effectiveness
College of the Sequoias
Description of Position
Under the direction of the Vice President, Academic Services and Dean, Research, Planning and Institutional Effectiveness, the Administrative Assistant will perform a wide variety of technical, specialized and responsible secretarial and administrative duties to relieve the administrator of administrative detail. The individual in this position will also maintain controls on expenditures accounts and recommend or initiate adjustments in accounts; assist with preparation of major research, planning and accreditation reports; and assist with survey design, administration and reporting as needed. Other specific responsibilities will include compiling and maintaining Adjunct Faculty Office Hours spreadsheet, coordinating faculty participation for commencement, maintaining Academic Service office space spreadsheet, and maintaining Academic Services/Accreditation web pages.
Education and Experience
Any combination equivalent to:
• two years of relevant college–level course work in
computer applications and business (office skills) and
• three years increasingly responsible secretarial
• Organize and manage the day–to–day activities of an assigned office to assure efficient and effective office operations; coordinate communications; relieve the administrator of administrative detail.
• Perform a variety of duties independently in support of functions delegated to assigned administrator; interpret and apply rules and regulations as appropriate.
• Prepare correspondence and memoranda independently or from oral instructions.
• Prepare and edit a wide variety of materials such as correspondence, reports, forms, applications, memoranda, flyers, brochures and other documents.
• Perform a variety of duties in support of assigned function such as maintaining credential, assisting at special events and performing research and other special projects.
• Coordinate communication between the administrator and staff, students, the public or other District or campus officials; obtain and provide information, coordinate activities and resolve issues.
• Greet office visitors and initiate and answer telephone calls; screen and direct calls and visitors to appropriate personnel; take message as necessary.
• Respond to requests for information from students, staff and the general public regarding District programs, policies, procedures and regulations.
• Maintain a variety of records, logs and files including information of a confidential nature; maintain confidentiality of information and records.
• Compile information and data for reports and assist in the preparation of reports as required.
• Review, check, correct and compile a variety of information; verify data for accuracy, completeness and compliance with established procedures; input and retrieve computerized data in computer systems as required.
• Schedule meetings, conferences and appointments for assigned administrator; maintain administrator's calendar.
• Prepare agenda items for meetings as required; take and transcribe minutes and distribute to appropriate personnel as required; maintain records for meetings as required.
• Receive, open and route mail; order, issue and maintain department supplies, forms and equipment.
• Coordinate communication and activities with other educational institutions, vendors, other outside organizations and the public.
• Operate a variety of office equipment such as typewriters, word processors, computer terminals, calculators, copy machines, and dictation equipment.
• Utilize the District's integrated software in performing the required duties of the position.
• Perform related duties as assigned.
Conditions of Employment
• Salary is at Range 29AA. ($3,243 monthly)
• Salary increase after 6 months of satisfactory service; increases annually thereafter.
• Minimum 5% increase if promoted.
• 10-working month probationary period.
• Union membership upon employment.
• PERS Retirement.
• Medical/dental/vision insurance program for employee
• Employee life insurance ($100,000) is provided.
Conditions of Employment
• Office environment; constant interruptions
• Ability to communicate with students/public
• Ability to read documents
• Ability to sit and stand for extended period of time
• Ability to reach in all directions
• Ability to lift moderately heavy objects
• Ability to operate a computer and office equipment
Only complete application packages will be evaluated by a qualified screening committee as soon as possible after the closing date. Meeting the minimum qualifications does not assure the candidate an interview. Application materials will be screened to determine the extent to which they meet the Representative Duties. A selected group of candidates will be invited for oral interviews. After initial interviews, finalists may be asked to return for a second interview.
All costs incurred as a result of the application/selection process shall be borne by the candidate.
Applicants must submit the following materials which must be received by Human Resource Services on or before the application deadline,
April 27, 2018 at 4:30 p.m.
• Completed COS classified application form
• Letter of Interest which addresses your interest in this
position and the representative duties
• Copies of transcripts (Officials upon employment)
Human Resource Services (559) 730-3867
Position: 5581-c-02-18 College of the Sequoias CCD 915 S. Mooney Blvd. Sequoia Building, Room 5 Visalia, CA 93277
Notice to all candidates for employment
"College of the Sequoias Community College District is an equal opportunity employer. Prospective employees will receive consideration without discrimination because of race, creed, color, national origin, sex, gender, sexual orientation, age, religion, mental or physical disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, military service, or any other basis protected by law."
The District provides reasonable accommodations to qualified applicants with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the job application and hiring process, please contact a representative from Human Resources at (559) 730-3867 to request a reasonable accommodation."