Laboratory Coordinator, Advanced Materials Testing and Evaluation Laboratory - College of Engineeri
Advanced Materials Testing and Evaluation Laboratory (AMTEL)
College of Engineering
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
The College of Engineering seeks applicants for the position of Laboratory Coordinator to provide leadership, oversight and management to enable innovative research in the Advanced Materials Testing and Evaluation Laboratory (AMTEL). AMTEL is a state-of-the-art facility for mechanical testing of specimens to determine baseline engineering properties of traditional and advanced materials, conduct sophisticated multi-axial testing, and perform full field optical stress analysis. The Laboratory Coordinator will report to the AMTEL Director, who reports to the Dean of the College of Engineering.
Specific duties and responsibilities include to:
- Engage directly with faculty and students in the design and set-up of experiments in AMTEL by providing expertise on the equipment available within the laboratory.
- Coordinate, complete and evaluate testing within AMTEL facilities. Develop and adhere to schedules for preventative maintenance.
- Provide guidance on, work directly with, and train AMTEL users on various techniques for using the equipment, and work directly with a variety of equipment in a hands-on fashion.
- Assure compliance with all applicable safety regulations and training certification for the laboratory by meeting OSHA [and other] requirements.
- Coordinate software upgrade and installation, by assessing the revisions to the software as well as developing and communicating a schedule for deployment and modifying/customizing the software as needed for use in AMTEL.
- Work closely with faculty and staff to maintain hydraulic equipment with emphasis upon process monitoring, preventive maintenance, rapid troubleshooting, and collaborate on possible solutions to remedy any issues.
- Evaluate new equipment and advise faculty on laboratory capabilities for alternative AMTEL services, maintaining a state-of-the-art facility.
- Work with Illinois students who utilize the laboratory for their research projects, including but not limited to, providing training on equipment and laboratory policies.
- Coordinate user billing through interaction with the users and the departmental/college business office.
- Interact with, and assist as needed, other multiuser testing facilities (e.g., Materials Research Lab) and other individual faculty/researchers working in the area of materials testing.
- Assume additional appropriate related research duties to further the mission of AMTEL.
- Masters degree in Mechanical Engineering or related discipline.
- Proficiency in computer programming and software installation experience (Labview and/or Python).
- Three years professional laboratory experience in materials testing.
- Experience working with and performing maintenance on servo-hydraulic equipment.
- Ability to design and construct simple circuits
- Two years of materials testing and evaluation teaching experience at the undergraduate and/or graduate level.
- Ability to work independently and exercise good judgment in order to be able to analyze and investigate a variety of questions and problems.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- PhD in Mechanical Engineering or related discipline.
- Knowledge and ability to organize and manage diverse activities involving people, programs, and other resources.
The Laboratory Coordinator position is a full-time, benefits-eligible academic professional position appointed on a 12-month service basis. The expected start date is as soon as possible after the closing date. Applicants may be interviewed before the closing date; however, no hiring decision will be made until after that date. Salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications.
To apply for this position, please create your candidate profile at http://jobs.illinois.edu and upload as a single PDF file your cover letter, resume, and names/contact information for three references by May 10, 2018. Full consideration will be given to complete applications received by the closing date. For further information regarding application procedures, contact Sarah Musselman at [email protected] or 217-244-1056.
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO. To learn more about the University's commitment to diversity, please visit http://www.inclusiveillinois.illinois.edu.
College Name or Administrative Unit: Engineering
Category: Academic Professional
Title: Laboratory Coordinator, Advanced Materials Testing and Evaluation Laboratory - College of Engineering Administration (A1800229)
Open Date: 04/13/2018
Organization Name: Engineering Administration