The Data Scientist works collaboratively across a multi-institutional team to support an NSF-funded (IRNC: AMI: Collaborative Research: Software-Defined and Privacy-Preserving Network Measurement Instrument and Services for Understanding Data-Driven Science Discovery) project.
This position is a key member of the team developing and supporting edge-distributed real-time data collection and analysis systems at points of international research network exchanges.
In addition, this position will work collaboratively in the development of new tools and techniques for hybrid online and offline data analysis.
Distributed Data Scientist
Type of Position
Position Time Status
Click here for more information about equivalencies:
Required Related Experience
Required License/ Registration/Certification
Occasionally standing or walking with objects up to 25lbs; regularly sitting at a computer workstation for extended periods of time with regular repetitive motions (such as typing); occasional exposure to loud noises; and occasional (
Monday thru Friday, 8:00 am - 5:00 pm with some on-call as needed.
Experience in software development, databases, and computational administration.
Does this position have supervisory responsibilities?
MS in Engineering, Computer Science, or related discipline
An advance degree in a quantitative discipline such as Computer Science, Mathematics, Statistics, Informatics or other Engineering related field is preferred.
Deadline to Apply
University Community of Inclusion
The University of Kentucky is committed to a diverse and inclusive workforce by ensuring all our students, faculty, and staff work in an environment of openness and acceptance. We strive to foster a community where people of all backgrounds, identities, and perspectives can feel secure and welcome. We also value the well-being of each of our employees and are dedicated to creating a healthy place to work, learn and live. In the interest of maintaining a safe and healthy environment for our students, employees, patients and visitors the University of Kentucky is a Tobacco & Drug Free campus.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we strongly encourage veterans, individuals with disabilities, women, and all minorities to consider our employment opportunities.
Any candidate offered a position may be required to pass pre-employment screenings as mandated by University of Kentucky Human Resources. These screenings may include a national background check and/or drug screen.
Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * University of Kentucky HealthCare recognizes a set of values that guide us in our daily interactions. By applying for a position within UK Healthcare, you are indicating your commitment and expressing your agreement to our five values. These values are diversity, innovation, respect, compassion, and teamwork. Please choose one of the UK Healthcare values and give a specific example when you exhibited this quality in your professional experience.
(Open Ended Question)
- * How many years of full-time, paid work experience do you have in software development and data science?
- More than 0, but less than 1 year
- More than 1 year, but less than 5 years
- More than 5 years
- * Have you held previous roles where you had access to regulated or sensitive data, such as in healthcare, government, or research?
- * Where did you first see this position advertised other than on UK's online employment system?
- Diverseeducation.com (Diverse Issues in Higher Education)
- HERCjobs.org (Higher Education Recruitment Consortium)
- Institute for Diversity in Health Management
- A Colleague, Friend and/or Family Member
- None of the Above
- Curriculum Vita
- Cover Letter