World Lang, Lit, & Cultures - 122800
Is this an internal posting only?
9 a.m. - 4 p.m. M-F
STARTALK Summer Language Camp is a federally funded intensive language program hosted by the World Languages, Literatures, and Cultures department that promotes the teaching and learning of critical languages in the United States.
The STARTALK Program at UNT is a non-residential, intensive (four weeks, 120 total instructional hours) program that offers a choice of Russian or Chinese language courses at the novice level and is fully funded by a federal grant.
The World Languages, Literatures and Cultures Department at the University of North Texas is seeking to hire four Teaching Assistants to join our team. Responsibilities of the position include, but are not limited to:
* Assist course instructors for the StarTalk Summer Language Camp program, Welcome to My World. It's an intensive Russian/Chinese language course taught over the period of four weeks, June 4-June 29.
* Assist with cultural activities using modern pedagogical techniques. The program provides a unique opportunity for full immersion as the program is taught in Russian/Chinese respectively. In class, students will focus on developing the four essential language skills: speaking, listening, writing, and reading. Cultural activities include traditional Russian/Chinese cooking classes, traditional Russian/Chinese craft, traditional Russian/Chinese music and dance appreciation classes, a field trip, etc.
The University of North Texas System is firmly committed to equal opportunity and does not permit - and takes actions to prevent - discrimination, harassment (including sexual violence), and retaliation on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, family status, genetic information, citizenship or veteran status in its application and admission processes, educational programs and activities, facilities, and employment practices. The University of North Texas System immediately investigates and takes remedial action when appropriate.
The University of North Texas System also takes actions to prevent retaliation against individuals who oppose a discriminatory practice, file a charge, or testify, assist or participate in an investigative proceeding or hearing.
The successful candidate will possess a diploma from High School or GED equivalent. The following knowledge, skills, and abilities are required:
* Knowledge of general office procedures and practices.
* Some knowledge of University policies and procedures related to the area of assignment.
* Skill in making mathematical calculations and computations.
* Ability to keep complex records; to assemble and organize data of complex nature, and to prepare and submit reports in acceptable formats.
* Ability to establish and maintain good working relationships.
* Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing.
* Ability to work without close supervision.
* Ability to lift boxes of supplies (up to 50 pounds) and climb stairs.
* Ability to sit for extended period of time.
* Ability to access file cabinets (pulling, bending, standing and stooping).
* Ability to work extended hours during registration periods and as required.
* Knowledge of safe working procedures related to work performed.
* Knowledge of basic computer skills including Word, Excel, Access and PowerPoint.
The preferred candidate will possess the following additional qualifications:
* Classroom experience with the ability to speak the Russian or Chinese language respectively.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Applicants must submit a resume with their online application.
Is this a security sensitive position?
Driving a University Vehicle?
Job Open Date
Job Close Date
Open Until Filled
Salary Commensurate with Experience
Quicklink for Posting