Job ID: 24527
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job Code: 1038
Department: Administrative Services
Classification: Administrative Analyst/Specialist - Exempt II
Salary Range: $4,693/month - $8,002/month
FLSA status: Exempt
San Jose State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package. For more information on programs available, please visit http://www.sjsu.edu/hr/benefits/
About the Position
The Contracts Specialist provides administrative and analytical support to Planning Design & Construction, including Directors, Architects, Inspectors, and Construction Managers. Working independently under limited supervision, the Contracts Specialist assimilates construction project plans, coordinates bid specifications and bid analysis, processes project contract documents, and provides additional support for all other facility related contracting requirements.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Initiate, evaluate, and execute all public works related service agreements and minor capital construction contracts in accordance with CSU and SUAM guidelines.
- Prepare and produce contract documents, officiate formal bid openings, review Job Order Contract compliance, drill down on Change Order Requests, analyze Payment Requests, and provide vital information to Project Managers and Department Officers.
- Coordinate building permit process, where all projects (internal or external) are evaluated in compliance with the building permit requirement by SUAM, Public Contract Code, and the State Industrial Relations Division.
- Interpret, clarify, and implement contract general conditions during project meetings between University and Contractor.
- Implement critical CSU guidelines regarding in-depth examination of major capital change orders.
- Responsible for contract management of public works projects within the range of $5 to $400 Thousand where the bulk of University projects are constantly managed.
- Identify potential savings through proper execution of bid solicitations, intense review of Contractor requests for payment, risk evaluation and avoidance.
- Set up and monitor Escrow Agreements between Contractors, the University and the State Treasury.
- Closely monitor retention funds before release at the close-out phase of the projects.
- Gather and report statistical information on contracting and procurement for Facilities Development and Operations.
- Work with FD&O finance staff to compile and analyze project invoice payments, project accounting, post compilation audits, and project closure notifications.
- Coordinate and compile timely reports on project development and contracted activities, as required by funding sources and supervisor in accordance with internal procedures.
Education and Experience
A bachelor's degree and/or equivalent training and four years of administrative work experience involving study, analysis, and/or evaluation leading to the development or improvement of administrative policies, procedures, practices, or programs.
Previous CSU contracts experience
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Thorough knowledge of office methods, procedures and practices; English grammar, business writing, punctuation and spelling.
- Ability to compose and appropriately format correspondence and reports.
- General knowledge of software applications such as: word processing, spreadsheet, and database management.
- Ability to learn PeopleSoft and other required financial systems.
- Ability to set appropriate priorities to meet critical deadlines.
- Ability to prepare reports and interpret policies and procedures covering a wide range of administrative and contractual procedures.
- Ability to independently perform a wide range of complex and responsible administrative assignments as related to defined duties.
- Ability to effectively plan and coordinate a variety of contractual functions.
- Ability to deal effectively with campus personnel, contractors, vendors, architects, engineers, and representatives of public and private agencies.
- Ability to independently interpret and apply codes, rules, regulations and policies as they affect public works contracts.
- Ability to track and ensure completion and thoroughness of construction documents; ability to communicate and write effectively, and make independent decisions related to contract work operations and procedures.
- Ability to perform accurately in a detail-oriented environment, and handle multiple work priorities, organize and plan work and projects.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and appropriately handle sensitive communications with employees and external agencies.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Excellent customer service and public relations skills.
April 13, 2018
Application Screening begins April 30, 2018
Applications received before that date will receive first consideration.
This position is open until filled; however, applications received after screening has begun will be considered at the discretion of the university.
Required Application Material:
Letter of interest
List of References
Complete SJSU Online Employment Application
Please note that failure to completely fill out each section of the online application may result in your application not receiving consideration.
Note To Applicant
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a driminal records check) is required for employment. SJSU will issue a conditional offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was conditionally offered the position.
The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (i.e. H1-B VISAS)
All San Jos State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Equal Employment Statement
SJSU is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, or disability.
It is the policy of SJSU to provide reasonable accommodations for applicants with disabilities who self disclose.
One Washington Square San Jose, CA 95192-0046