Community Outreach Coordinator - Marketing, Communication and Public Relations
Houston Community College (HCC) is an open-admission, public institution of higher education offering a high-quality, affordable education for academic advancement, workforce training, career development and lifelong learning to prepare individuals in our diverse communities for life and work in a global and technological society. We're proud to say that 98 percent of our graduates step into a job in their field of study immediately upon graduation. One of the largest community colleges in the nation, HCC has served the Greater Houston area for over four decades. Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, and the Schools Commission on Colleges, we offer 300+ associate degree and certificate programs to 75,000+ students across 13 Centers of Excellence and online each semester. We are proud to be No.1 among all community colleges in the nation in providing associate degrees to minorities and No.1 in educating international students, with 10.4 percent of our student population from outside the USA. Our vision is to become the Employer of Choice in support of our mission for Student Success by attracting, retaining and motivating the best employees.
Play a central role at HCC as you keep our everyday operations running like clockwork. You'll get the chance to make things happen and work closely with inspiring leaders across different parts of the institution. Whether your role is supportive, administrative, financial or something else, you'll be part of a dynamic team that not only provides HCC students with cutting-edge academic and career tools, it also takes care of its people.
We are currently seeking a Community Outreach Coordinator who will advance the institution's proud tradition of excellence in academics, student life and community service.
Responsible for coordinating community outreach activities for an assigned college; including, but not limited to: promoting and supporting educational and cultural activities to benefit the college and the community. Plans work to enhance the understanding, perception and image of the particular college assigned as well as the entire Houston Community College System with community organizations and the general public in the assigned college's service area. Responsible for gathering and sharing information with assigned area about issues in the community and building strong professional relationships with key community members.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Coordinate community events, meetings and other special activities that take place at designated location;
- Work with HCC student services staff as well as regional high schools to develop and implement a student recruitment plan that coordinates with the college's outreach plan;
- Work with appropriate staff at each college campus to ensure that community events and activities are well publicized and attended and covered by effective media;
- Coordinate with system personnel for community affairs to ensure that there is no duplication of efforts and any planned activities would yield maximum impact for the college and the System as a whole;
- Develop and maintain an up-to-date database of community contacts for the college, including individuals, community groups, community publications and other sources beneficial in extending college outreach initiatives into the community. Provide periodic updates of the assigned college's database;
- Develop strategies and implement activities to increase awareness of the assigned college's programs and services to build support in the community for HCC;
- Provide accurate and up-to-date information to community contacts on college programs, and, new directions and strategies for the college. Provide relevant and current information on admission requirements, financial aid and any other pertinent college information;
- Coordinate community outreach activities for the assigned college and maintain a calendar of all community activities and events;
- Keep the Director and/or assigned area informed about outreach activities conducted for the college. Work with the Director and other college staff to ensure that community events are well attended;
- May serve as photographer for designated meetings, events, special events;
- Represent the college at community meetings and events or other special events to which the public is invited, as delegated by the assigned college and the Director; and
- Prepare reports and maintain records on community outreach activities and the results of these activities.
- To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform the essential duties and responsibilities listed above. The qualifications listed below are representative of the education, experience, knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required.
Four (4) years' experience in marketing, community relations and/or public relations, or a related field required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Strong organizational and communication skills are essential;
- Knowledge of community organizations in the Houston Community College System service area;
- Knowledge of event planning and organizing desirable;
- Proficient with MS Office applications;
- Able to interact effectively and deal tactfully with a diverse population; and
- Able to attend frequent events in the evenings and on weekends.
Houston is a city with limitless possibilities:
- Fourth-largest city in the U.S. and home to 54 Fortune 500 companies, second only to New York City's 55.
- Approximately 145 languages are spoken here.
- Overall after-taxes living costs are 5.6 percent below the average for all 308 urban areas recently surveyed.
- Houston is a major-league sports town, and don't forget the annual Houston Livestock Show & Rodeo.
- The weather is great! Mild winters ensure that outdoor activities can be enjoyed year-round.
- World-renowned medical care. The Houston metro area has long been known for its first-rate healthcare system, with many Houston area hospitals consistently ranking among the nation's top institutions.
- With over 150 museums and cultural institutions in the Greater Houston area, museums are a large part of Houston's cultural scene.
- Houston is the Culture & Culinary Capital of Texas with more than 7,500 restaurants and eating establishments covering 60+ cuisines.
If this sounds like the role for you and you're ready to join an amazing team, please apply right away.
Houston Community College does not discriminate on the bases of race, color, religion, sex, gender identity and expression, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation or veteran's status. The following person has been designated to handle inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policies:
David Cross, Director EEO/Compliance, Title IX Coordinator
Office of Institutional Equity
PO Box 667517
Houston TX, 77266
713 718.8271 or [email protected]
HCC values its employees and their contributions, promotes opportunities for their professional growth and development, and provides a positive working and learning environment that encourages diversity, innovation and creativity, and inclusion.
Individuals with disabilities, who require special accommodations to interview, should contact (713) 718-8565.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties requested by their supervisor.
This job description may be revised upon development of other duties and changes in responsibilities.