Resident Advisor - Upward Bound
About Mills College:
Located in Oakland, California, in the heart of the San Francisco Bay Area, Mills College is a liberal arts college for women and gender non-binary students, with graduate programs for all genders. Consistently ranked one of the top master's universities and one of the best value colleges in the West by U.S. News &amp; World Report, Mills also has been named one of the Best Colleges in the nation by The Princeton Review. The Mills experience is distinguished by small, interactive classes, one-on-one attention from exceptional faculty, a culture of creative experimentation, and cutting-edge interdisciplinary learning opportunities which empower students to make a statement in their careers and communities. As one of the most diverse liberal arts colleges in the country, we have a strong record of academic success with first-generation students, students of color, Latinx students, LGBTQ students, and other underrepresented students.
Mills College encourages diversity in hiring and particularly welcomes applications and nominations from women, gender non-binary individuals, and minorities. Mills College seeks to recruit and retain a diverse workforce as a reflection of our commitment to equity, inclusion, and social justice and our desire to maintain the excellence of our faculty. In so doing, we offer our students not only the opportunity to learn about varied disciplines but to engage with diverse perspectives and ways of knowing and learning. For more information, please visit http://www.mills.edu.
Reports to: Program Director
Month/Year: June 18th to July 28th (Position is contingent on continued funding beyond May 31, 2018)
Mills College Upward Bound (UB) is a federally funded TRiO program designed to enhance the academic skills of low-income first generation college-bound high school students in the Oakland and West Contra Costa Unified School District with the goal that participants will pursue a post-secondary education. TRiO is funded by the U. S. Department of Education.
The College is recruiting for Resident Advisors (RA).
Summary of Position
Every summer Mills College Upward Bound offers a six-week intensive instructional program for our students. This year the program will include a two-week residential program. Approximately 80 high school students will be offered a residential experience for the two weeks at Mills College, Oakland, CA.
Summer Program: General Support during 1st four weeks, student check in/out, TA/Tutor for classes, chaperone/supervise students during program events such as Summer Jam.
Residential Program: Summer RA employment begins on Sunday, June 18, 2018 and continues through Friday, July 28th, 2018. Residential Advisors will be required to live in the residence hall. The schedule is projected to include check-in at 3:30 on Sunday afternoons; check-out at 4:00 p.m. on Fridays.
Essential Job Functions:
Primary responsibilities for Resident Advisors include the following:
- Provide supervision of all residential students
- Assist in the set-up and clean-up of the UB residence hall common areas or other rooms utilized by the program
- Assist in the set-up of activities by delivering supplies
- Supervise free time activity (volleyball, swimming, etc.)
- Supervise UB students during field trips and other program events
- Provide academic assistance during daily Study Hall
- Assist in planning, coordinating and implementing social, cultural and recreational activities
- Follow and enforce the rules and regulations of the College and of the Upward Bound Program at all times
- Be responsible for on-call duties one day per week
- Provide supervision at meal times
- Participate in nightly staff meetings with residential team
- Supervise use of all program equipment and immediately report any missing or damaged properly to the appropriate full-time staff person
- Assist in enhancing the living environment and promoting an educational atmosphere in the residence hall
- Perform all other duties as assigned by the Director
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Be able to take appropriate steps to promote and sustain effective working relationships within a diverse multicultural environment
- Be able to work safely in compliance with College Injury and Illness Prevention Plan
- Experience in college residential setting
- Experience with low-income, first-generation college-bound students
- Be punctual, positive, motivated, interactive, flexible
- Be able to multi-task, handle stress, model behavior that is expected of students, take initiative to address unexpected program or participant needs
- Be able to maintain a positive mental attitude throughout the program and present a positive image of Mills College Upward Bound to participants and guests
- Upon selection, RA must submit fingerprints for Department of Justice Background Check
- Must be available for the following program dates:
- June 15, Summer All Staff Training
- June 17, Summer Orientation
- June 18-July 28, Summer Program
- June 15, Summer All Staff Training
- Have completed sophomore year in college or university
- Be in good academic standing at college or university attending
- Be able to exhibit strong customer service orientation for all levels of College constituencies and members of the public
This is a temporary, exempt, full-time position. Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience, and includes State Disability Insurance, workers compensation insurance, Social Security Insurance, and unemployment insurance.
Mills College does not permit discrimination based on pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, race, religious creed, color, national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, marital status, age, sex, sexual orientation, or gender identity. For more information on Mills non-discrimination policy, please go to http://www.mills.edu/administration/administrative_offices/policies/nondiscrimination.php
To apply, please submit the following to http://mills.interviewexchange.com/jobofferdetails.jsp?JOBID=96348
- cover letter and
- list of three professional references