Director of Early College Programs (R-0928)
Kansas Academy of Mathematics and Science (KAMS)
International Academy of Mathematics and Science (IAMS)
The Director of Early College Programs is responsible for all aspects of the Kansas Academy of Mathematics and Science (KAMS) and the International Academy of Mathematics and Science (IAMS) operations including: supervision of staff; responsible for student development, academic programs and curriculum development; student recruitment and student counseling; building support and rapport with all Academy stakeholders including students, parents, sending school districts, the state of Kansas, government agencies, the universities and colleges that Academy graduates attend, international partners and agents, future employers; and securing external support.
- A master’s degree
- Three years of experience working in higher education or K-12 education/administration in Kansas
- Ability to travel both domestically and internationally
- A master’s degree in a related field including education, business, public administration or equivalent discipline
- Five or more years of progressive experience working in higher education or as an administrator in the K-12 setting in Kansas
- Understanding of recruitment and marketing techniques with both domestic and international student populations
- Demonstrated leadership skills including program development, professional staff supervision, and budgetary experience
- Familiarity with early college success organizations such as Kansas Gifted, Talented, and Creative, National Consortium of Secondary STEM Schools, Coalition for Leaders of Advanced Student Success, & National Consortium of Early College Entrance Programs
- Proven success with grant writing or gifting opportunities
- Demonstrated experience working on curriculum development
APPOINTMENT DATE: June 2018
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Priority deadline is April 30, 2018. Review of applications will begin after the priority deadline and continue until the position is filled.
BENEFITS: Competitive benefit package http://www.fhsu.edu/humanresourceoffice/Prospective-Employees/
- Provide leadership for KAMS and IAMS
- Supervise staff including KAMS Assistant Director for Student Services, IAMS Assistant Director for International Student Services, the KAMS/IAMS Financial Administrator, KAMS Graduate Assistant, IAMS Graduate Assistant, and the KAMS/IAMS Administrative Assistant
- Serve as guardian to all students in KAMS and IAMS
- Escort students to any appointment where guardian is required including emergency appointments with High Plains Mental Health, University and City Police, Hays Medical Center, Pharmacies, and other health related appointments
- Develop and facilitate international partnerships involving student recruitment, study abroad, student exchange, and research collaboration
- Lead international recruitment initiatives
- Provide leadership on issues related with early college programs within key organizations like Kansas Gifted, Talented, and Creative, National Consortium of Secondary STEM Schools, Coalition for Leaders of Advanced Student Success, & National Consortium of Early College Entrance Programs
- Oversee scholarship programs
- Develop the Colloquia plan with the assistance of the Assistant Directors
- Provide liaison with Kansas Board of Regents, Kansas State Department of Education, Kansas State High School Activities Association, Hays High School, and other government agencies
- Gain external support through grants and gifting opportunities
- Serve as student disciplinary hearing officer on KAMS and IAMS specific discipline issues
- Developing, monitoring and coordinating the KAMS and IAMS curriculum:
- Work with faculty, staff, and deans on curriculum issues
- Work with academic departments to schedule courses
- Facilitating development of new courses and course materials
- Develop and implement KAMS Summer Academy
- Responsible for implementation of procedures and policies as they relate to academic affairs
- Coordination of other academic activities:
- Responsible for organizing KAMS and IAMS graduation
- Approval of graduation requirements in conjunction with Assistant Directors
- Organize and arrange for students to participate in academic, social, and athletic competitions.
- Collaborate with the university organizations and departments for student development opportunities
- Provide leadership in direction for policy development
- Support and consult with Residential Life staff
- Assist with issues regarding student life, student programming designed to enhance student learning and development, student housing and the physical environment
- Lead seminars to address KAMS and IAMS students’ needs on an as-needed basis
- Maintaining and updating the KAMS and IAMS Student-Parent Handbook
APPLICATION PROCESS: To apply for this position, please visit https://fhsu.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/CAREERS. Only electronic applications submitted through the webpage will be accepted.
Required Application Documents: Applicants should submit a cover letter, resume, and names and contact information for three professional references. Applicant documents should be submitted in one PDF.
If you have questions regarding the position, please contact:
Name: Karen McCullough, Search Committee Chair
ABOUT FORT HAYS STATE UNIVERSITY
Forward Thinking. World Ready - Fort Hays State University is a highly entrepreneurial teaching focused institution with major operations on-campus, online and in China. Providing a private education at a low state price, FHSU is ranked by the Chronicle of Higher Ed as one of the fastest growing universities in the U.S. It has an enrollment in excess of 14,000 students and over 380 full time faculty. Bachelors, master’s and professional doctoral degrees are offered through five Colleges, the Graduate School, the Virtual College, and various international partnerships. Fort Hays State University's award-winning Virtual College coordinates distance education to over 9,000 students. The Virtual College has received many accolades, including U.S. News & World Report Online Programs rankings, GetEducated.com, Best Buys in Education, among others. Students at FHSU may select a major field of study from 30 departments. FHSU is fully accredited by several national agencies, and is one of six state-assisted institutions of higher education governed by a Board of Regents appointed by the governor of the state of Kansas.
The University has rich sports and cultural programming, all of which enjoy tremendous community support. The Beach/Schmidt Performing Arts Center is home to the Encore Series which hosts many travelling Broadway shows, the Hays Symphony, university and other national and world caliber performances. Fort Hays State University athletic events provide NCAA Division II athletic entertainment
ABOUT HAYS, KS
FHSU is located in Hays, a vibrant university community of approximately 20,000, located half-way between Kansas City and Denver on Interstate 70. Hays is the regional center for education, health care, professional services, shopping, culture, and recreation for the western half of Kansas – serving a population of nearly 400,000. Hays boasts excellent recreational facilities including the comprehensive Center for Health Improvement, Hays Aquatic Park, Smokey Hill Country Club, Hays Municipal Golf Course, an extensive recreational program, and excellent opportunities for walking, running, and biking. Hays is within 45 minutes of two large lakes providing boating, fishing, and camping. The Hays Municipal Airport provides connecting service to Denver with several flights daily. The community has award winning public and private schools. With over 60 restaurants, robust retail outlets, one of the lowest unemployment rates and commute times in the U.S., the city provides a safe, very friendly, low-cost, high-quality living environment.
NOTICE OF NON-DISCRIMINATION – Fort Hays State University is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of gender, race, religion, national origin, color, age, marital status, sexual orientation, genetic information, disability or veteran status.
BACKGROUND CHECK: Final candidate will have consented to and successfully completed a criminal background check.
Notice to KPERS retirees applying for a position: Recent legislation changes working-after-retirement rules for both you and your employer if you go back to work for a KPERS employer. Please contact your KPERS representative or www.kpers.org for further information on how this might affect you.