Reference and Instruction Librarian
Dominican University of California is looking for an imaginative, versatile, and enthusiastic Reference and Instruction librarian who loves teaching and has a deep commitment to helping students succeed. We have a beautiful campus, supportive community, and diverse student population, with a special commitment to first generation and under-represented college students.
This is a nine (9) month, non-tenured faculty position starting in August 2018. This position will work primarily with undergraduate students, providing reference assistance and teaching information literacy skills in our First Year Experience Program as well as for our bachelor’s degree programs. Occasional evening and weekend shifts may be required.
- Teach and develop in-person and online information literacy, lectures, tutorials, and workshops to expand students’ knowledge and use of continually evolving skills required to find and evaluate information.
- Serve as a liaison to academic departments, promoting faculty awareness, use, and development of library resources and working with faculty to embed information literacy at the course level.
- Provide research assistance in person and online at the reference desk and via one-on-one or group research appointments to students, faculty and community members in all subject disciplines.
- Engage in professional development activities in support of the library and information literacy program, both at Dominican and in the broader community.
- Be prepared, with mentoring, to assume other professional responsibilities, as assigned by the Associate Director.
- May participate in the University shared governance structure and serve on faculty governance committees, as appropriate.
- May participate in the development of Library and University-wide programs and initiatives.
- Uphold academic performance standards and integrity.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Master’s degree in Library Science from an ALA-accredited school
- Demonstrated teaching experience or familiarity with the pedagogical skills required to teach information literacy at a university level
- Demonstrated ability to provide effective reference assistance to patrons of a research–oriented academic library
- Demonstrated familiarity with evolving library technology and trends in reference, instruction, and information literacy
- Ability to work as a team member and to participate effectively in a collegial academic environment
- Substantial teaching experience, particularly at a university level
- Substantial familiarity with the literature of one or more academic disciplines
- Demonstrated experience in library software, areas, or initiatives such as online tutorials, webcasts, Springshare LibGuides, assessment, citation management tools, or student, community, and faculty outreach
Additional Position Information
- Applications will be considered until the position is filled
- Must be willing to consent to a background check
Dominican University of California is an independent, international, learner-centered university offering both undergraduate and graduate programs. The University is located in a park-like campus 12 miles north of San Francisco nestled in the foothills Marin County. We have a total enrollment of just over 1,800 students, 23% of whom are the first in their family to attend college. We blend interdisciplinary core courses, real-world studies, and small classes with close and supportive academic advising and mentoring.
- Click the hyperlink below or cut/paste it into your browser and scroll to the bottom of the posting. Click the option, "Submit your resume/CV to this job"
- Click “Submit your Resume/CV to this Job” button
- A cover letter is required
- For further questions on the application process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- Link to apply: https://dominican.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/careers
For More Information Contact:
Amy Gilbert, Associate Director, Library
50 Acacia Ave
San Rafael, CA 94901
Dominican University of California is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to excellence through diversity, and takes pride in its multicultural environment. We are committed in thought, word, and deed to recruiting and retaining a workforce that values the diversity of its student body. The University actively promotes an institutional culture that practices equity and inclusion. We strongly encourage applications from members of all under-represented groups in higher education.