Professional Writing Tutor - Student Support Services Program
Type: Part Time (15 hours per week)
Rate: $13.00 per hour
Working Hours: 10:00 A.M. - 2:00 P.M. (4 days per week)
The Professional Tutor is a grant-funded, part time (15) hour or less per week position. The individual tutor will provide tutoring for Developmental, Basic, and College Level Writing courses. Responsibilities include collaborating with fellow tutors to encourage a positive learning environment, and facilitating learning by providing students with resource materials, study skills, strategies, workshops, and intrusive advising.
- Tutor students in basic writing coursework and integrate effective study and learning strategies.
- Provide study, learning, and time management strategies for students within course material
- Provide intrusive advising to students, including calling students for appointments, checking students’ grades to determine assistance, following up on appointments, and providing outreach
- Develop and organize workshops to match student needs
- Provide on-line tutoring
- Assist with retention of students through supplemental academic activities
- Approach and meet with students on a walk-in, or appointment-basis to provide one-on-one tutoring assistance on many levels, including study skills.
- Maintain accurate records
Professional Tutors are chosen on the basis of academic skill, character, and the ability to communicate well with others. Tutors are expected to have extensive knowledge in the subject they are hired to tutor and the ability to communicate that knowledge to students. All individuals in the Professional Tutoring position must meet the following minimum qualifications:
- Possess an Associate’s Degree in Writing, Education, or related field.
- Obtained grades of ‘B+’ or higher in course(s) you are intending to tutor
- Possess knowledge of basic computer functions and software, including Microsoft Word, email, and other software applications
- Experience tutoring, teaching, or mentoring students
- Knowledge of grammar, punctuation and essay writing
- Must demonstrate and maintain a high level of confidentiality
- Bachelor’s Degree or Master’s Degree in Writing, or related field.
- Ability to establish and maintain positive relationships with a diverse student population.
- Experience in instruction with at-risk college students.
- Experience with APA/MLA Writing Formats
- Be able to connect and build rapport with a diverse community of students.
- Experienced working in an educational setting
Apply for Professional Writing Tutor - Student Support Services Program
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly