Associate Director of Parent Leadership Giving and Major Gifts
Reporting to the Director of Parent Leadership Giving & Senior Associate Director of Major Gifts (DPLG), the Associate Director of Parent Leadership Giving and Major Gifts assists with implementing a comprehensive major gifts program for St. Lawrence University. This position will travel extensively to qualify, cultivate, solicit and steward prospective parents and key alumni (as needed) as major and planned giving donors. The primary focus is on facilitating productive relationships with parent donors and volunteers, resulting in commitments/gifts of $100,000 or more. S/he is responsible for managing approximately 150 qualified prospect households, cultivating them toward solicitation, and closing major gifts.
Primary duties include:
- Identify, qualify, cultivate, solicit and steward major and planned giving donors to the University.
- Maintain prospect records and a portfolio of qualified parent prospect households.
- Travel within managed territories to complete prospect visits.
- Prepare proposals for gift solicitations and focus on securing support for campus-wide priorities/initiatives.
- Develop strong relationships with prospective donors, recruit and engage key fundraising volunteers for the Parents Committee, and procure gifts on behalf of the St. Lawrence Fund through Parents Fund solicitations.
- Develop and manage parent fundraising strategies including developing parent appeals and oversee parent contacts via the University’s phonathon program.
- Serve as a liaison with key offices to support and promote parent volunteer opportunities in those areas.
- Collaborate on the production of ParentScope, the parents newsletter, and the Parents Committee brochure; monitor and provide updates for the parent website; and staff and provide parent support for regional and on-campus events including Family Weekend, Spring Weekend, and Commencement programming.
- Work with the DPLG to organize regional yield events for accepted students and summer send-off gatherings for the incoming class. Coordinate summer intern and/or student ambassador staffing.
- Contribute travel and prospect recommendations for the President and Vice President for University Advancement, as well as other members of senior management and the faculty as necessary.
- Assist in the process of finding and securing hosts for presidential and alumni events within managed territories.
- Support initiatives sponsored by offices both within University Advancement and across campus.
- Remain well-informed about the University’s academic programs and fundraising goals in order to align prospect work with identified institutional priorities.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- A minimum of three years of experience in fundraising, sales, marketing, or a related field required.
- A willingness to travel frequently, and to work some evenings and weekends.
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word and Outlook, and exposure to relational databases required.
- Ability to work independently as well as collaboratively within a team, build effective relationships, and manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Ability to develop strong relationships with donors with the highest degree of professionalism and integrity.
- Experience fundraising for major gifts/planned gifts in a higher education setting preferred.
- Proven ability to successfully cultivate, solicit and close five- and six-figure gifts preferred.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Excel and The Raiser’s Edge preferred.
Interested applicants must apply online at http://employment.stlawu.edu uploading all required materials which are defined in the “special instructions to applicant” section. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. Questions about the position may be directed to Chad Tessier, Director of Parent Leadership Giving at [email protected].
All offers of employment are contingent upon the finalist successfully passing a background (including criminal records) check.
St. Lawrence University is an Equal Opportunity Employer. For additional information about St. Lawrence, please visit http://www.stlawu.edu.