Assistant Director of Multicultural Student Life
Reports To: Director of Multicultural Student Life
Overview: The Assistant Director of Multicultural Student Life works with offices throughout campus to ensure that Augustana’s multicultural and other underrepresented students are successful inside and outside of the classroom. In conjunction with Student Life staff and the academic administration, assists in providing academic support, social programming, individual mentoring, and networking to the campus community with a focus on multicultural and first generation students. In addition, the assistant director will partner with the Director to ensure that Augustana’s multicultural student organizations, of which there are currently eight, are in a position to thrive.
- Plans, implements and evaluates programs and initiatives to create a welcoming environment in the office for multicultural students, including the first generation cohort. Seeks opportunities to further develop the College culture to become a more welcoming community for under-represented students.
- Provides, along with other offices on campus, a range of programs, opportunities, trainings, events, gatherings, etc. which meet the specific educational and social needs of Augustana's under-represented student populations.
- Provides specialized programming, resources and opportunities for under-represented students including transitioning to college, succeeding inside and outside of the classroom and effectively conducting a job or graduate school search.
- Supports the college's retention efforts through individual interventions with students, as well as by participating in the overall retention plan at Augustana
- Assists with the Multicultural New Student Orientation before classes begin.
- Supervise designated student workers and/or peer mentors. Provide robust performance feedback to ensure program goals and highest priority outcomes are achieved.
- Assist the college in responding to harassment, insensitivity and ignorance through programming and, at times, disciplinary actions. Collaborate with other offices to provide programming for the entire campus on issues of diversity.
- Through individual outreach and participation, plan efforts to strengthen the relationship between the different ethnic communities in the Quad Cities and Augustana College with the overall goal of accessibility to the Quad City multicultural communities.
- Cultivate professional relationships with faculty and staff in order to develop and implement multicultural programs and educational opportunities for students.
- Other duties as assigned
Education: MA required in Student Personnel, Counseling,, Educational Administration, Ethnic Studies or a related field.
Skills & Experience:
- Three or more years of demonstrated successful experience working with multicultural students. Higher education experience is highly preferred.
- Ability to effectively communicate both verbally and in writing. Spanish fluency is highly preferred.
- Commitment to and deep understanding of issues of diversity and inclusion in higher education, including access, equity and social justice is essential.
- Expertise in and passion for working with students
- Experience building a supportive community among students and peers
- Affinity for working in a small college, residential, liberal arts environment.
- Knowledge of best practices and trends related to multicultural affairs including African-American, Latinx, Asian, and Indigenous student populations.
- Ability to establish and maintain community partnerships and professional working relationships
- Ability to develop, implement, and assess effectiveness of programs
- Strong administrative skills including organization, budget management, student supervision, event planning, and follow up.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
Must be able to lift 25 pounds on a frequent basis. Also required is the ability to listen, hear, speak, read, write, climb stairs, bend, stoop, and stand for intermittently long periods of time. Must be able to use a computer to accomplish a variety of job tasks.
This position is located on the Augustana campus (Rock Island, Illinois) involves limited travel , transporting students to regional and national events and conferences, as well as frequent weekend and evening work. Must have a current valid driver’s license and pass MVR check.
Augustana is an Equal Opportunity Employer. It is Augustana College’s intent policy to provide equal opportunity to all qualified employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, gender, age, national origin, disability and any other category protected by federal, state or local law. All candidates are subject to a criminal background check.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities are subject to change at any time with or without notice.
Special Requirements: As key personnel representing the College to students, this position requires excellent interpersonal skills, the ability to relate to a diverse student body, and the ability and willingness to model the mission and high standard of behavior of Augustana College. This position has frequent work obligations that involve evening and weekend work.
College Commitment to Diversity: As part of the Augustana 2020 Strategic Plan, the campus has committed to growing as a community who welcomes and includes those historically underrepresented groups on our campus. Information on these initiatives and future plans can be found at: http://www.augustana.edu/about-us/president/diversity
Application Instructions: Qualified applicants should submit a cover letter including salary requirements and a resume to [email protected] no later than May 1, 2018. Resume review will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. The start date for this position is negotiable.