Plant Utilities Engineer 1
Plant Utilities Engineer 1-1800717
Required Qualifications: As per Civil Service Standards and Specifications. Must have taken and passed the required Plant Utilities Engineer I, State Civil Service exam, and be reachable on the appropriate current Civil Service list. The Civil Service list for this position might provide insufficient acceptors, therefore, a temporary appointment may be made. Any temporary apointee will be required to take, pass and be reachable on the next Civil Service examination be be permanently appointed and retain employment. Must have, keep and maintain the appropriate valid NYS Driver's License; have a motor vehicle record which is free from major violations or a pattern of repeat violations. (***Out-of-State Applicants, see "Special Notes"). Ability to climb, stoop and do moderately heavy lifting (up to 50lbs). Must have ability to enter confined spaces to operate high-temperature-hot-water (HTHW) valves. Ability to work from a ladder, scaffolding, and/or aerial lift over ten feet in height. To qualify for this position, the selected individual must successfully pass a pulmonary function test to certify them to wear protective equipment (i.e Hepa filter type respirators). The test shall be provided by the employing department.
Preferred Qualifications: Associate's Degree in Plant Utilities Technology.
Brief Description of Duties: The Plant Utilities Engineer I for the HVAC – West Campus will maintain HVAC systems that support the campus community and maintain all HVAC equipment. As a PUE 1, you must be able to climb, stoop, and lift heavy objects and/or equipment.
- Operate and perform maintenance on all HVAC and other mechanical equipment, including but not limited to, pumps, fans, pneumatic controls, building management systems, compressors, chemical testing and treatment, recording, boilers, chillers and steam generator. Troubleshoot and adjust pneumatic and digital control systems.
- Operate, maintain, and repair high temperature, high pressure water distribution systems. Entry in to confined spaces and work within the utility tunnel for extended periods of time.
- Operate, maintain and repair DX & chilled water AC systems.
- Operate, maintain and repair ventilation system.
- Implement and enforce safety procedures and standards. Shows proper care when utilizing power tools, insures proper safety procedures are followed. Keep work area as clean and safe as possible. Follow all lock out / tag out procedures, including the use of Personal Protection Equipment (PPE) required by the campus.
- Follow the task provided on each work order, fills out or completes every work order daily to include time and materials used. Follow directions from senior personnel and work well with peers and subordinates. May supervise GM-12, PUA & PUH employees, including timesheets. Provide instructions to maintenance assistants and/or helpers on routine jobs and equipment inspection. Responds to HVAC calls on and off shift.
- Other duties as assigned as appropriate to rank and departmental mission.
Special Notes: This is a full-time position, 40 hours per week, Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. FLSA Nonexempt position, eligible for the overtime provisions of the FLSA. Internal and external search to occur simultaneously. Mandatory rehire roster candidates have preference.
The selected candidate must successfully clear a background investigation.
Essential Position: This has been designated as an essential position based on the duties of the job and the functions performed. Positions that are designated as such are required to report to work/remain at work even if classes are cancelled, and the campus is working on limited operations in an emergency.
Stony Brook University will be 100% tobacco-free starting January 1, 2016. See our policy and learn more at stonybrook.edu/tobaccofree.
***Out-of-State Applicants: Please note as a condition of employment and in order for this position to be tendered, the successful incumbent will be required to provide evidence of a valid license and driving abstract from the state issuing the license within five business days of a conditional offer and must obtain a NYS driver's license within 30 days of acceptance of offer.
About Stony Brook: Stony Brook University, home to many highly ranked graduate research programs, is located 60 miles from New York City on Long Island's scenic North Shore. Our 1,100-acre campus is home to 24,000 undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral students and more than 13,500 faculty and staff.
SBU is a comprehensive research-intensive university and a member of the prestigious Association of American Universities (AAU), which includes 34 public universities among its 62 members. SBU consists of 12 schools and colleges and a teaching hospital that provides state-of-the-art healthcare in the Long Island region. SBU also manages and performs joint research with Brookhaven National Laboratory, the only Department of Energy Laboratory in the Northeast, and shares doctoral programs with Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory, a world-renowned molecular biology institute. Home to the Emerson String Quartet, the Jackson Pollock-Krasner House in East Hampton, New York, Humanities Institute, and the Southampton Arts Program, and with endeavors that extend to the Turkana Basin Institute in Kenya and the Ranomafana National Park in Madagascar, SBU sustains an international reputation that cuts across the arts, humanities, social sciences, and natural sciences.
Stony Brook University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer. We encourage protected veterans, individuals with disabilities, women and minorities to apply.
If you need a disability related accommodation, please call the University Human Resource Services Department at (631) 632-6161 or the University Hospital Human Resources Department at (631) 444-4700. In accordance with the Title II Crime Awareness and Security Act, a copy of our crime statistics is available upon request by calling (631) 632-6350. It can also be viewed online at the University Police website at http://www.stonybrook.edu/police.
Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Governor’s Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via email at email@example.com.
Official Job Title: Plant Utilities Engineer 1
Job Field: Civil Service Positions
Primary Location: US-NY-Stony Brook
Department/Hiring Area: Residential Operations-Stony Brook University
Schedule: Full-time Day Shift Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.Residential Operations-Stony Brook University
Posting Start Date: Mar 14, 2018
Posting End Date: Mar 28, 2018, 11:59:00 PM
Salary: As per civil service guidelines
Salary Grade: SG14