University of Colorado Denver
College of Liberal Arts and Sciences - Academic Advising Center
Position # 681965 - Requisition 13219
* Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers *
The College of Liberal Arts and Sciences Academic Advising Center has an opening for a full time University Staff (unclassified) Academic Advisor position.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is a public research university serving more than 18,000 students. We award nearly 4,000 degrees each year, including more graduate and professional degrees than any other Colorado institution. With our solid academic reputation, award-winning faculty and renowned researchers, we offer more than 140 highly rated degree programs through 13 schools and colleges. The university receives over $400 million in research awards each year. In addition to the wide array of health-related programs and facilities offered at CU Anschutz in Aurora, Colo. a significant number of undergraduate and graduate degree programs are taught at CU Denver, our comprehensive campus in the heart of downtown Denver-one of America's most vibrant urban centers. CU Denver is located steps from the Denver Center for Performing Arts and the LoDo District affording our students, faculty and staff access to a broad array of academic, professional, community, recreational and cultural outlets.
As Colorado's only public urban research university, the University of Colorado Denver educates a diverse student body through quality academics, ambitious research and creative work, and civic engagement in the city we call home. CU Denver educates more than 15,000 undergraduate and graduate students, and with easy access to the state's cultural, business and civic hub, our students benefit from immersive classroom and real-world experiences, supplemented by unparalleled internship and networking opportunities. As the most diverse research university in Colorado, our campus attracts top students and offers over more than 100 highly rated degree programs through eight schools and colleges, as well as more than 30 online degree programs. Home to over 40 research centers and institutes, CU Denver receives more than $25 million in sponsored research awards annually, allowing us to generate knowledge and create solutions to society's most complex problems. Read CU Denver Quick Facts here.
Academic advising is recognized within the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences (CLAS) as an integral part to fulfilling the teaching and learning mission of the College. This full-time, University Staff (unclassified) position will work with a team of academic advisors to guide students through the educational process and achieve the fundamental goals of higher education at the University of Colorado Denver.
CLAS Academic Advisors provide full-time and continuous academic advising for declared CLAS students upon entry to graduation. CLAS Academic Advisors contribute to the further development and implementation of programs and services that foster student persistence and completion.
Examples of Work Performed:
- Implement retention initiatives and programs, some examples may include:
- Probation/suspension and early alert programs - Advisors reach out to students who have academic difficulties through numerous campaigns and programs, often referring to faculty and student services as appropriate.
- Develop and implement outreach campaigns generated through the EAB Student Success Collaborative system.
- Assist with internal workflow of probation/suspension review and follow up processes.
- Outreach to students whose academic standing has changed as a result of approval of a medical withdrawal.
- Re-admit students
- Determine student's eligibility to return; communicate and track final admission decisions to students
- Execute outreach to students regarding admission appeal process and procedures; connect students to assigned advisors and appropriate resources as needed
- Track data, including enrollment and academic performance trends of admitted for
- Coordinate Admission and Records Office on readmission and admission decisions
- Represent CLAS on numerous University and College committees and also act as liaison to CLAS academic departments and student affairs units.
- Conduct senior reviews and degree certification.
- Participate in the spring and fall commencement ceremonies.
- Provide academic advising for College and University programs and students. Some populations you may serve are:
- Undergraduate Teacher Education licensure program
- University Honors Program
- BA/BS/MD Program (partnership with Anschutz Medical Campus)
- Pre-Health Careers
- Advise online students.
- Implement New Student Programs
- NSO: New Student Orientation group advising sessions
- Track and follow up with students that have completed college credits during high school to ensure submission of final transcripts and review and posting of transferrable credits; connect students with assigned advisors and campus resources as needed
- Support implementation of developmental education policies and procedures
- Assist the development and implementation of group advising
- Coordinate post-NSO data tracking and outreach
- TAGS: Transfer Advising Group Sessions (group advising for new transfer students)
- Manage the follow up with students who have in-progress work and final transcripts that need to be submitted
- Contribute to the workflow of the transfer credit evaluation process
- Administer post-TAGS follow up as related to enrollment, transfer credit evaluation, etc.
- Degree Audit and Transfer Credit Evaluation
- Utilize degree audits as a tool to monitor student progress through to graduation
- Collaborate with CLAS internal transfer credit and degree audit team to ensure the accuracy and integrity of the academic program requirements stored within the degree audit system.
- Support the transfer articulation process and procedures.
- Provide academic advising for special College and University programs and students as the first point of contact (POC).
- Prospective students
- Conduct scheduled appointments and drop-in appointments with prospective CLAS students
- Serve as main POC for CLAS Advising for Transfer Thursday
- Represent CLAS Advising at prospective student events, including Preview CU Denver, Pre-Collegiate Scholars Programs (College Fair, Academic Programs, & Course Selection Workshop) and Community College visitation days with Admissions Office
- Non Degree students - students enrolling one term, working on pre-requisites to apply for professional programs, etc.
- Contribute to developing student learning outcomes and assessment.
- Builds efficiencies to support students' advising experience and services within the academic community with a high standard of customer service
Salary and Benefits:
The hiring range for this position has been established at $41,000 to $51,500 and is commensurate with skills and experience.
The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at https://www.cu.edu/employee-services.
Academic Services Professional
- A bachelor's degree in a directly related field from an accredited institution and 1 year of experience providing academic advising/support to students in a post-secondary setting.
Academic Services Senior Professional
- A bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university and two years of experience providing academic advising/support to students in a post-secondary setting.
- Master's degree from an accredited college or university.
- Proven experience working with enrollment management programs that included orientation, early alert systems, probation and suspension programs, transfer student initiatives, and/or other recruitment and retention activities.
- Established skills and experience utilizing technology that support academic advising practices (Banner, PeopleSoft, DARS, CU SIS , document imaging systems , EAB Student Success Collaborative, etc.).
- Successful experience working with faculty
- Successful experience enforcing and explaining complex College and University policies.
- Significant experience cultivating relationships within the College and with other student and academic affairs units on campus.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both in writing and orally.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees at all levels throughout the institution.
- Outstanding customer service skills.
- Demonstrated commitment and leadership ability to advance diversity and inclusion.
- Demonstrated success in working with students from diverse backgrounds and within a multicultural environment.
- Demonstrated ability to work as a member of a team and within a collaborative work environment.
- Exceptional organizational, planning, analytical and technical skills.
- Exceptional attention to detail required.
- Ability to work independently, prioritize multiple projects and requests, and work in a fast-pace environment.
- Demonstrated passion for working with students from entry to graduation within a high volume setting.
Special Instructions to Applicants:Required Application Materials: To apply, please visit: http://www.cu.edu/cu-careers and attach: 1. A letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications 2. A current CV/resume 3. List of three to five professional references (we will notify you prior to contacting both on and off-list references) Questions should be directed to: Susan Laws, firstname.lastname@example.org
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees. The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:Application Deadline: Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers. This posting will be used to fill multiple vacancies in the department. Review of applications will begin April 30, 2018, and will continue until positions are filled. Once a screening has occurred, applicants will be notified of their status.
Job Category: Academic Services
Primary Location: Denver
Department: D0001 -- Denver Campus - 30089 - CLAS-Advising
Posting Date: Apr 12, 2018
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Susan Laws
Posting Contact Email: Susan.Laws@ucdenver.edu
Position Number: 00681965