Casual - Data Assistant
Requisition # 2018-8660
Department Woodrow Wilson School
Category Academic Administration
Full-Time / Part-Time Temporary
Application Deadline 5/12/2018
ABOUT IDEAS FOR HIGHER EDUCATION
In July 2017 Princeton University's former Provost David S. Lee, Chemical Bank Chairman's Professor of Economics and Public Affairs and associated faculty member of the Industrial Relations Section, established the Initiative for Data Exploration and Analytics (IDEAS) for Higher Education within the Woodrow Wilson School of Public and International Affairs.
Our mission is to facilitate the discovery of high-value insights through data that: 1) support efforts by Princeton administrators to advance mission-critical decision-making and 2) contribute to academic research and dialogue on higher education.
As an internal consulting service to the University, we partner with institutional leaders, staff, and researchers to carry out data analytics projects that may include:
- Exploring, at the request of our administrative unit partners, the optimal uses and potential of existing Princeton data
- Employing advanced data analytics techniques to focus on collaborators' specific questions of high operational and research value
POSITION SUMMARY - FACULTY DATABASE PROJECT DATA ASSISTANT
Reporting to the executive director, the data assistant will collect and organize data from various online sources as part of a large-scale project designed to better understand academic employment outcomes. As a member of the Faculty and Academic Staff Database (FASD) project team within IDEAS, the data assistant will have the unique opportunity of working within a “startup” unit that both strives to deliver a significant positive impact on the administrative functions of the University as well as discover opportunities for productive avenues of higher education research.
- Collect and record data from various websites, databases, documents, and platforms
- Clean, code, and restructure large data sets
- Organize, verify, and conduct quality control checks on data sets and reports
- Communicate and document procedures and results of data collection clearly and precisely
- Assist in preparation of materials for the project website, external presentations, and other communications
- Perform data entry as needed
- Participates in weekly project conference calls
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Excel
- Excellent time management skills and experience working in deadline-driven environments
- Ability to prioritize and work on a number of tasks simultaneously
- Ability to work remotely as part of a team as well as independently
- Data management skills will be helpful
- Experience conducting research/analyses using administrative data will be helpful
Applicants are most commonly matriculating, current, or recent graduates of undergraduate or graduate programs in economics, statistics, public policy, education, or related disciplines/fields
Working remotely is preferred (must reside in the U.S.). Must provide own computer/laptop and internet connection. Rate of $23/hour.
Be advised that you will be contacted only if there is further interest in your application. The candidate dashboard will not display status updates for this requisition.
Princeton University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EEO IS THE LAW
Standard Weekly Hours
Work Schedule, If Other Than Standard Hours
15-30 hours a week (flexible schedule available)
Eligible for Overtime
Essential Services Personnel (see policy for detail)
Estimated Appointment End Date
Comments Related to End Date
3-month project length
Physical Capacity Exam Required
Valid Driver's License Required
Connect With Us! Join our Talent Network to receive updates about working at Princeton.
Princeton University requires all candidates to complete a background check successfully prior to the start of employment. The type and extent of background checks may vary depending on job requirements and/or functions.
Go to our careers site.