This position will serve as the Nurse Clinical (Registered Nurse) in the Perioperative unit at UK Chandler Hospital and provide care for adult and pediatric patients requiring inpatient and same day surgical services. Patient conditions include: preparation for and intra-operative care for elective, emergent, transplant, and all specialties of surgical procedures.
The Perioperative unit provides guidance to support the patient through their intra-operative experience while insuring ideal patient centered care. As a part of this unit, the RN serves as an important component of the multi-disciplinary perioperative team. This team is responsible for caring for the surgical patient during the immediate pre-operative, intra-operative and immediate post-operative periods of the surgical experience. This role is primarily for the OR circulating nurse for CT Service Line.
The primary responsibilities for this position consist of providing total, comprehensive, continuous and patient centered care which includes: assessing, documenting, planning, implementing, teaching, developing, and evaluating a comprehensive nursing plan of care; delivering direct patient care; ensuring patient satisfaction; training and delegating duties for Nursing Care Technicians (Nursing Assistant); and adhering to University policies and procedures as well as federal, state and local regulations. Furthermore, this environment supports collaborative efforts among the nursing staff and the team of physicians to increase communication and enhance expected patient outcomes. This includes utilization of the nursing process in conjunction with a comprehensive patient-centered plan of care, ensuring patient satisfaction.
The University of Kentucky recognizes the sanctity of the relationship between the health care professional and the patient. Therefore, all UK HealthCare employees commit to providing excellent service and promoting a positive image while adhering to the following UK HealthCare Behavioral Expectations and Standards:
- Customer Centered - A customer is every person we come into contact with during our workday.
- Service Focused - Being flexible, courteous and respectful while anticipating and fulfilling the needs of our customers.
- Quality Driven - Quality is the foundation of everything we do. It is our desire to provide exceptional service to every patient and customer we serve.
- Resource Wise - Careful, efficient and responsible management of our resources is vital to our success.
- Growth Oriented - Attract, develop and retain highly skilled and competent co-workers, which will in turn achieve customer loyalty and promote the growth of UK HealthCare.
RN/UK Chandler Operating Room/Chandler/CT Service Line
Type of Position
Position Time Status
Required Related Experience
Required License/ Registration/Certification
Active Kentucky RN license, Temporary Work Permit (TWP), Provisional License or active compact state RN license that is in good standing and American Heart Association (AHA) Basic Life Support certification for the Healthcare Provider valid for at least 6 months after employment date
The essential functions for this position include the ability to lift, carry, push, and pull 50-100 pounds on a daily basis and 25-50 pounds frequently; as well as stand, walk and sit for long periods of time. The conditions of work may involve exposure to communicable diseases, hazards of radiation, and injury from intractable patients or sharp instruments.
Must be able to work day/evening shifts with call.
The ideal candidate will have the following: knowledge of Maslow's eight Basic Human Needs and the priority within Gordon's Functional Health Patterns Frame Work as well as Swanson's Caring model; superb direct patient care and critical thinking skills; basic computer navigation skills and working knowledge of the internet; ability to communicate in a professional and respectful manner with patients and their families, co-workers and physicians; and strong organizational, prioritization, and delegation skill. The candidate will be highly motivated, pro-active and confident in advocating for patients and their family members. Will also enjoy working in a strong team environment and provides open, honest communication with fellow staff and physicians. In addition, the ideal candidate will possess exceptional technical skills and a proven ability to work in a team as well as independently.
Does this position have supervisory responsibilities?
BSN + AT LEAST 1 YEAR OF Intra-Operative RN EXPERIENCE PREFERRED.
Ability to circulate and/or scrub CT cases preferred.
Deadline to Apply
University Community of Inclusion
The University of Kentucky is committed to a diverse and inclusive workforce by ensuring all our students, faculty, and staff work in an environment of openness and acceptance. We strive to foster a community where people of all backgrounds, identities, and perspectives can feel secure and welcome. We also value the well-being of each of our employees and are dedicated to creating a healthy place to work, learn and live. In the interest of maintaining a safe and healthy environment for our students, employees, patients and visitors the University of Kentucky is a Tobacco & Drug Free campus.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we strongly encourage veterans, individuals with disabilities, women, and all minorities to consider our employment opportunities.
Any candidate offered a position may be required to pass pre-employment screenings as mandated by University of Kentucky Human Resources. These screenings may include a national background check and/or drug screen.
Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Please indicate your current Nursing Educational Level.
- New Graduate
- PhD or DNP
- * Are you currently employed as a registered nurse at UK HealthCare Chandler/UK HealthCare Samaritan Hospitals?
- * Please indicate your current licensure status.
- Current KY RN License
- Current compact state RN licensure
- Current non-compact state RN licensure
- New Graduate within 6 months or Provisional License
- Valid KY Temporary Work Permit
- * Where did you first see this position advertised other than on UK's online employment system?
- Diverseeducation.com (Diverse Issues in Higher Education)
- Institute for Diversity in Health Management
- A Colleague, Friend and/or Family Member
- None of the Above
- University of Kentucky HealthCare recognizes a set of values that guide us in our daily interactions. By applying for a position within UK Healthcare, you are indicating your commitment and expressing your agreement to our five values. These values are diversity, innovation, respect, compassion, and teamwork. Please choose one of the UK Healthcare values and give a specific example when you exhibited this quality in your professional experience.
(Open Ended Question)
- Curriculum Vita
- Cover Letter