Community Recreation Coordiantor
Department: Student Life, Athletics & Recreation
Location: Western Campus
Reports To: Dirtector Student Life, Athletics & Recreation
Recruitment Type: External/Internal
Requisition ID: req130
Employment Type: Part-Time Support Staff
Vacancy Number: 159-18
Union Position: Union
Work Schedule: M, W, F - 4:30 p.m. - 9:30 p.m. S - 8:00 a.m. - 1 p.m.
Number of Openings: 1
Coordinates and manages the scheduling of recreational programming and activities for the campus and community to ensure optimum use of the recreation facilities shared with Physical Education classes, varsity athletics, and other campus needs. Implements and supervises a non-credit course program and summer camp program to meet the needs of the community.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITES:
- Duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Functionally supervises employees in Athletics, Physical Education and Recreation departments, including assigns and reviews work and acts as a group leader, assists in hiring, trains, provides input to performance evaluations and assists in addressing complaints and resolving problems.
- Verifies all aspects of work are completed on a timely basis.
- Hires instructors for non-credit courses, including recruitment and screening.
- Coordinates the scheduling of recreational activities to ensure optimum use of facilities shared with physical education classes, varsity athletic commitments and other campus needs.
- Assures coverage of recreation facilities during open hour usage.
- Reviews and develops the non-credit course program.
- Ensures appropriate promotional activities to publicize the recreation department and its offerings throughout the campus and community.
- Assists in the monitoring of the indoor/outdoor facilities and equipment storage areas.
- Reports the need for maintenance or repair to the Student Personnel Supervisor or Plant Operations.
- Reviews and develops intramural programs to increase student participation.
- Creates and updates policy & procedure manuals for the student help and recreation staff/non-credit instructors.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
At Metropolitan and Western Campuses:
- Hires lifeguards.
- Creates and updates policy & procedure manuals for the lifeguards.
- Serves as liaison with Campus Buildings and Grounds for pool maintenance.
- Bachelor's degree
- Two years of equivalent full-time experience in managing community and or campus recreation activities
- Holds or is eligible to receive upon hire CPR/AED and First Aid certification
- For Metropolitan and Western Campuses: Background in pool management (East in 2011).
- Skills in keyboarding, basic math and grammar, and basic level skills in word processing (MS Word) and spreadsheet applications (MS Excel)
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or government regulations
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Sensitivity to respond appropriately to the needs of a diverse population
- Master's Degree in Recreation, Physical Education or related field
For Metropolitan and Western Campuses:
- Certification or ability to be certified as a Certified Pool Operator through the National Swimming Pool Foundation
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
Occasional evenings and Saturdays required. Must be able to frequently stand; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; and lift up to 100 pounds with assistance. Must be able to regularly walk. Must be able to regularly sit; use hands to finger, handle or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. Special vision requirements include close, distance, color, peripheral, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus. Must be able to work in an environment with a moderate noise level and continuous interruptions.
Special Note:This is a Part-time (1199/SEIU) Bargaining Unit position, Grade 10, with a starting hourly rate of $23.34. Part-Time(1199/SEIU) bargaining unit employees at Cuyahoga Community College will be considered first for vacant positions.
Special Instructions to Applicants: During the application process, you may be required to attach a cover letter and/or resume. It is recommended that you have these documents ready to be attached electronically to the online application. This system accepts only MS Word or PDF attachments. Any employment with the College is contingent upon satisfactory completion of a background check and drug screen.
Affirmative Action Statement: Cuyahoga Community College is committed to attaining excellence through the recruitment and retention of a qualified and diverse workforce. Cuyahoga Community College is an equal employment/educational opportunity institution.