Director of Special Events
Job ID: 24529
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job Code: 3306
Department: Alumni Engagement & Annual Giv
Classification: Administrator III
Anticipated Hiring Salary: Commensurate with experience
FLSA status: Exempt
San Jose State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package. For more information on programs available, please visit http://www.sjsu.edu/hr/benefits/
About the Position
The Director of Special Events fills a critical leadership role in support of the planning and implementation of multiple, high profile events on the University campus. These activities include providing support to various units, offices and programs, including the Office of the President, Provost, Vice President for University Advancement, Alumni Engagement, Development and Athletics Advancement. Among the key events are Commencement, Honors Convocations, Inspiration to Innovation Gala, Words to Action Town Hall events, marquee speaker series and donor events, building ceremonies including ground breakings, dedications, etc.
What you will do:
- Lead Commencement and major university event planning.
- Coordinate event support services, marketing, communications, and volunteers.
- Oversee the development and implementation of departmental strategies.
- Ensure application of quality and experience standards and brand initiatives.
- Manage the involvement of executive leadership, appropriate staff, and vendors in the planning process.
- Collaborate with the Alumni Engagement team and Alumni Association volunteers to execute alumni events and activities.
- Develop and maintain relationships with key stakeholders.
- Maintain key events on an 18-24 month horizon and brings stakeholders together to establish vision and outcomes.
- Balances the load of work among the skills, abilities, and strengths of the team.
- Serves as a member of the department leadership team, participating in unit-wide planning and supporting initiatives of the broader group as needed.
The ideal candidate is an experienced, well-rounded events person who is agile, resourceful and possesses a strong background in events leadership, has a collaborative spirit and strong communications skills. The role requires a mix of strategy and execution and a deep passion for the power of events to create memorable experiences that engage constituents with the university.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
This is a position in the CSU - Management Personnel Plan (MPP), and serves at the pleasure of the President. This position will require adherence to University compliance training such as: Conflict of Interest and Ethics, AB 1825 Sexual Harassment Prevention, Information Security, and Injury and Illness Prevention Program. The person hired for this position may be required to complete an outside employment disclosure statement in accordance with Title V of the California Code of Regulations.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor's Degree from an accredited institution
- Seven years of progressively responsible leadership in an event manager role.
- Demonstrated experience leading cross-functional teams in an event planning group.
- Demonstrated experience managing complex projects and prioritizing the work of others
- Master's Degree in Marketing, Hospitality, Sales, Business or a related field
- Experience in an institution of Higher Education.
- Experience with academic ceremonies.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Demonstrated knowledge of event planning fundamentals.
- Demonstrated strong leadership abilities.
- Ability to motivate and support a team through high stress and demanding periods.
- Demonstrated organizational skills and experience in budget management.
- Demonstrated strong public relations and communications skills.
- Demonstrated successful working with volunteers and/or boards comprised of prominent individuals of stature.
- Excellent oral and writing skills, including the ability to determine relevant and digest and synthesize relevant information for stakeholders.
- Knowledge of and commitment to the use of information technology to support advancement programs.
- Ability to assess skill deficiencies of staff and create development plans to ensure staff can be successful
- Ability to quickly respond and resolve problems.
- Ability to work independently with little or no supervision, as well as the judgment to seek direction from the Associate Vice President when necessary.
- Ability to manage and motive volunteers and to work closely with senior-level administrators.
- Ability to interpret technical procedures or regulations.
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions and to interpret and extensive variety of technical instructions.
April 12, 2018
Application Screening begins April 27, 2018
Applications received before that date will receive first consideration.
This position is open until filled; however, applications received after screening has begun will be considered at the discretion of the university.
Required Application Material:
Letter of interest
List of References
Complete SJSU Online Employment Application
Please note that failure to completely fill out each section of the online application may result in your application not receiving consideration.
Note To Applicant
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a driminal records check) is required for employment. SJSU will issue a conditional offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was conditionally offered the position.
The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (i.e. H1-B VISAS)
All San Jos State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Equal Employment Statement
SJSU is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, or disability.
It is the policy of SJSU to provide reasonable accommodations for applicants with disabilities who self disclose.
One Washington Square San Jose, CA 95192-0046