LAB RESEARCH ANALYST - Zebrafish Lab
LAB RESEARCH ANALYST - Zebrafish Lab
Center for Human Disease Modeling
This position will provide a variety of technical duties and aquaculture support in a research laboratory and zebrafish facility, work with husbandry staff to perform routine duties as well as lead independent research projects that employ the use of zebrafish as a model system to study human genetic disease.
- Monitor embryo care, survival, and transfer of tanks on or off of nursery racks.
- Maintenance of common facility wild-type, transgenic, and mutant stocks.
- Feed fish, maintain cultures, and clean tanks as needed.
- Maintain zebrafish facility cleanliness in tandem with the facility staff.
- Respond to emergency situations (this may include responding at night or on weekends).
- Prepare stock solutions and track inventory necessary for research procedures and fish care.
- Interface with Duke Z-Core staff to manage new zebrafish lines sent to researchers; this involves tracking of fish in quarantine, ensuring biosecurity measures are being exercised and fish strains are transitioned properly into general holding in the zebrafish facility.
- Supervise and train staff working in the zebrafish facility on required duties.
- Orient new zebrafish facility users.
- Orient CHDM users on the automated imaging system housed in the main lab area.
- Lead research projects that involve technical expertise including: molecular cloning, DNA and RNA extraction, DNA sequencing, gene expression studies, zebrafish embryo manipulation, immunostaining and microscopy.
- Coordinate logistics of importing and exporting fish shipments.
- Ensure zebrafish facility equipment is maintained, calibrated, and operating correctly.
- Ensure that the automated imaging system housed in the main lab area is working properly and that software is up to date.
- Perform required elements of quarterly sanitation testing.
- Record, review, and/or adjust daily water parameters.
- Perform and record results of daily health checks and work with veterinarians and facility manager to resolve any health concerns.
- Ensure that the common electronic CHDM fish use management system is current, and completed appropriately by staff.
- Document procedures and collect experimental data in an organized, complete, and ethical fashion.
- Analyze, interpret, and summarize experimental results.
- Provide support to researchers in the daily facility functions.
- Assist in developing or revising standard operating procedures.
- Lead monthly meetings with CHDM zebrafish users; participate in bi-weekly staff meetings with Z-Core staff; and weekly lab meetings with CHDM staff.
- Contribute ideas on zebrafish facility improvements regarding equipment, procedures, and techniques.
- Assist faculty, post-docs and students in the development and execution of new research procedures and techniques.
- Interact and consult with facility users to ensure research goals are being met by the most humane and ethical methods in accordance with approved protocols.
1215 LAB RESEARCH ANALYST II
Job Family Level
Full Time / Part Time
Regular / Temporary
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employercommitted to providing employment opportunity without regard to anindividual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, genderidentity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex,sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation,creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robustexchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity ofour perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achievethis exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feelsecure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals arerespected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our communityhave a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions:Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System mayinclude essential job functions that require specific physical and/ormental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests forreasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
Work requires a bachelor's degree in botany, biology, zoology or otherdirectly related scientific field.
Work requires four years of research experience. A related master'sdegree may substitute for two years of the required experience.OR AN EQUIVALENT COMBINATION OF RELEVANT EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
Auto req ID
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, genetic information, gender, gender expression, gender identity, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.