Academic Advising Specialist
Reporting to the Academic Advising Manager at Hunter College, the Academic Advising Special will coordinate and implement all aspects of the Manhattan Hunter Science High School Program at Hunter College. In addition to the duties listed in the CUNY Title Overview, the Academic Advising Specialist will be responsible for but not limited to:
- Coordinates programs related to student recruitment, eligibility for enrollment in different types of activities, course placement, attendance, retention, continuity, and program assessment in support of program goals.
- Conducts informational and orientation activities on program policies and procedures for staff, partner high school, students, and parents.
- Provides general advising services to both MHSHS seniors and MHSHS graduates who enroll in Hunter College as freshmen.
- Serves as the primary liaison with administrative and academic staff, student participants, and parents.
- Develops and maintains effective working relationships with the leadership and liaisons at participating high school, Hunter College, and Central Administration to support a superior academic program, increase student enrollment and sustain participation.
A Bachelor's degree and four years' related experience (Such as pre-college or related project coordination) required.
A Master's degree is preferred. The preferred candidate will have excellent interpersonal, communication, organizational, and time-management skills, as well as a strong work ethic and commitment for success. Further, the preferred candidate will be able to work on a flexible schedule (evenings and Saturdays for a minimum 40 weeks a year) with individuals in a diverse community.
CUNY TITLE OVERVIEW
Administers an academic advising center or unit.
- Collaborates with other academic and administrative offices to maintain a comprehensive academic advisement program
- Ensures students are provided with consistent, accurate, and prompt advising services, coordinating with academic departments
- Works with students to resolve academic issues, providing information and/or referral
- Develops orientation programs to engage and retain students and instructs students, faculty and staff on use of advising technologies
- Conducts assessments to strengthen advisement programs
- Organizes and facilitates training for faculty advisors
- Develops print and online communication materials
- May supervise office operations and budget
- Performs related duties as assigned.
Higher Education Assistant
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
($47,340-$68,351). Salary commensurate with education and experience.
CUNY's benefits contribute significantly to total compensation, supporting health and wellness, financial well-being, and professional development. We offer a range of health plans, competitive retirement/pension benefits and savings plans, tuition waivers for CUNY graduate study and generous paid time off. Our staff also benefits from the extensive academic, arts, and athletic programs on our campuses and the opportunity to participate in a lively, diverse academic community in one of the greatest cities in the world.
HOW TO APPLY
Click on the "Apply Now" button and follow the application instructions. Please have your curriculum vitae/ resume and scholarly interest or cover letter with names and contact information of 3 references available to attach into the application before you begin. Please note that the required material must be uploaded as ONE document. The document must be in .doc, .docx, .pdf, .rtf, or text format- and name of file should not exceed ten (10) characters. Incomplete application packages will not be considered.
Open until filled with review of applications to begin April 6, 2018.
JOB SEARCH CATEGORY
CUNY Job Posting: Managerial/Professional
Job Title: Academic Advising Specialist (Advising Services, Division of Student Affairs)
Job ID: 18403
Location: Hunter College
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
CUNY encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. At CUNY, Italian Americans are also included among our protected groups. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.