The Chabot-Las Positas Community College District is seeking to fill a Custodian to be assigned to work at Chabot College in Hayward and/or Las Positas College in Livermore, CA.
Under general supervision, perform a variety of custodial duties related to the care, maintenance, and cleaning of assigned buildings and facilities during an assigned shift; and set up and remove tables, chairs, and equipment for meetings and special events.
Job Title Custodian
Position Type Classified
Position Code 1CMN13
Pay Rate (or Annual Salary) $3,761.92/month
Job Location District Office, 7600 Dublin Blvd., 3rd Floor, Dublin, CA 94568
Department Maint. and Operations
The following duties are typical for this classification. Incumbents may not perform all of the listed duties and/or may be required to perform additional or different duties from those set forth below to address business needs and changing business practices.
1. Sweep, scrub, and mop floors in rooms, halls, stairways, offices, and public areas; strip, sand, refinish, wax, or buff floors; vacuum and shampoo rugs and carpets; operate equipment including buffers and vacuum cleaners.
2. Empty, clean, and sanitize waste receptacles and ashtrays; empty and change trash bags in containers; pick up papers and other debris; empty and clean pencil sharpeners as necessary.
3. Empty recycle containers; sort recyclable materials in designated bins.
4. Dust and polish furniture, woodwork, fixtures, and equipment; remove cob webs; clean desks, countertops, and windows; clean chalkboards, whiteboards, and trays; replenish chalk; clean erasers.
5. Clean and sanitize restroom facilities and fixtures including sinks, urinals, and toilets; wash windows, mirrors, and walls; clean and sanitize showers; replenish supplies in restrooms.
6. Set-up furniture and equipment for meetings and events; rearrange furniture and equipment as required.
7. Lock and unlock buildings and facilities as required; alarm/disarm security systems in buildings; ensure buildings are locked and safeguarded against unauthorized use.
8. Report malfunctions and unusual occurrences observed.
9. Maintain equipment and tools used.
10. Drive truck in delivering or picking up supplies or equipment; order custodial supplies as necessary.
11. Respond to immediate or emergency cleaning or repair requests.
12. Perform related duties as required.
Minimum Education and Experience
Any combination of the following would provide a typical way to obtain the required knowledge and abilities.
Formal or informal education or training that ensures the ability to read and write at a level necessary for successful job performance.
Some custodial experience that includes minor building and equipment maintenance.
License or Certificate:
Possession of an appropriate, valid driver’s license.
The following generally describes the knowledge and ability required to enter the job and/or be learned within a short period of time in order to successfully perform the assigned duties.
1. Methods, materials, and equipment used in custodial work.
2. Safe work practices.
3. Methods and techniques of cleaning and preserving floors, furniture, walls, and fixtures.
4. Operational characteristics of cleaning equipment and materials.
5. Proper methods of storing equipment, materials, and supplies.
6. Occupational hazards and standard safety practices.
1. Perform the full range of custodial tasks.
2. Clean and care for assigned areas and equipment.
3. Operate and use a variety of custodial equipment, supplies, and materials in a safe and effective manner.
4. Perform minor maintenance repairs on assigned equipment.
5. Use and monitor the need for a variety of custodial equipment and materials.
6. Perform heavy physical labor.
7. Work independently in the absence of supervision.
8. Safeguard keys and maintain security of facilities.
9. Understand and follow oral and written directions.
10. Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
11. Establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
12. Work with and exhibit sensitivity to and understanding of the varied racial, ethnic, cultural, sexual orientation, academic, socio-economic, and disabled populations of community college students.
Job Work Schedule
40 hours/week, Monday - Thursday, 10:00 p.m. - 6:30 a.m., Friday, 4:00 p.m. - 12:30 a.m., hours may vary depending on department needs, occasional evening and weekends required as needed, 12 months/year.
Physical Demands and Working Environment
The conditions herein are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential job functions.
Environment: Work is performed in both indoor and outdoor environments; travel from site to site; exposure to noise, dust, grease, smoke, fumes, noxious odors and gases; work and/or walk on various types of surfaces including slippery or uneven surfaces. Incumbents may be required to work evenings, nights, and weekends.
Physical: Primary functions require sufficient physical ability and mobility to perform moderately strenuous manual labor; to stoop, bend, kneel, crouch, reach, and twist; to lift, carry, push, and/or pull light to moderate amounts of weight; dexterity of hands and fingers to operate specialized hand and power tools and equipment; operate assigned equipment; and to verbally communicate to exchange information.
Posting Detail Information
Posting Number AS180P
Open Date 04/12/2018
Close Date 05/10/2018
Open Until Filled No
Special Instructions to Applications
Effective January 1, 2015, for work performed on the graveyard shift by employees regularly assigned to the shift, the differential shall be three percent (3%). For work performed on the swing shift by employees regularly assigned to the shift, the differential shall be two percent (2%).
An employee who receives a shift differential premium on the basis of their regularly assigned shift shall suffer no reduction in pay, including differential, when assigned temporarily to a day shift for twenty (20) working days or less.
Notification to Applicants
The Chabot-Las Positas Community College District reserves the right to close or not fill any advertised position
Instructions for Personal Qualifications Statement
The purpose of the personal qualifications statement is for you to provide information on how your education and experience relate to the requirements and duties of the position. There is no form to complete. Applicants are requested to provide their personal qualifications statement by uploading a document, the same way as you do for your cover letter.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
Documents Needed To Apply
- Cover Letter
- Personal Qualifications Statement
- Other Document
CHABOT-LAS POSITAS COMMUNITY COLLEGE DISTRICT AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER