Assistant Athletic Director
University of Puget Sound
Assistant Athletic Director
Job ID: 4162
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Position Description: The Assistant Athletic Director for Athletics Facilities and Event Management is responsible for the management and oversight of athletics facilities including development of policies and procedures, scheduling, maintenance coordination with Facilities Services, collaboration with internal and external constituents. Organize and direct event operations across sport programs for home events and special activities to include supervision of staff, logistics planning and execution, and work with external entities to provide quality execution of the events. Assist with internal and external partnerships for engagement opportunities and revenue generation. Provide leadership as a member of the department's administrative team and provide essential collaboration with coaches, staff, and students.
Responsibilities: Facilities Management
- Manage, maintain and disseminate the master calendar for the department's indoor and outdoor facilities including Athletics & Aquatics Center, Warner Gym, Baker Stadium, East Field, Softball Field, and Baseball Field
- Coordinate scheduling for physical education classes, varsity athletics programs (practices/competition), club sports/organizations, intramurals, and other campus offices/departments
- Collaborate with university's director of scheduling and event services and use of the university's central scheduling system
- Establish and execute scheduling guidelines and rental agreements. Coordinate the use of the facilities with outside groups/organizations and with Summer Conference Services. Provide quality customer service to facilities users.
- Efficiently and effectively manage auxiliary spaces (e.g., equipment room, laundry room, storage areas).
- Provide direction and support to the fitness center director in the scheduling, training, and supervising work-study students for fitness center and other facilities related functions.
- Coordinate repair and maintenance needs with Facilities Services and various external agencies.
- Work with strength and conditioning coach(es) and intramural director to ensure equipment items are sufficient and adequately maintained.
- Coordinate with the aquatics director on issues related to Wallace Pool.
- Serve as the department contact for issues related to facilities safety and liability.
- Assist department director with facilities enhancement projects.
- Coordinate the operations of each sports events throughout season including pre event preparation, on site set up, management and post event break down, including electronic equipment. Work with Facilities Services to coordinate work order requests.
- Supervise student and part time event staff including hiring, training, scheduling, and supervision.
- Work with Security Services and event staff to monitor and execute crowd control and safety measures before, during and following events
- Communicate with visiting schools and game / event officials in handling on site logistics
- Coordinate logistics and operations with NCAA and NWC for post season events
- Assist with cultivation of revenue streams in areas of sponsorships, ticket sales, summer camps, facilities rentals, development of materials, and stewardship.
- Develop and implement promotions strategies to improve awareness of athletic events and outcomes throughout the campus community and surrounding neighborhoods. Serve as a liaison to campus groups including Residential Life, Greek Life, ASUPS, etc. as well as targeted partnerships (e.g., Tacoma Public Schools). Coordinate game-time promotional activities
- Assist with coordination of activities with the Athletics Committee of the Alumni Council;
- Plan and implement a variety of department-wide and team specific events including parent days, golf tournament, All Sports Camp
- Coordinate summer camps marketing/outreach, and logistics with head coaches
- Serve as liaison to campus offices and departments to coordinate special university functions (e.g., Office of Alumni & Parent Relations)
Supervisory Responsibilities - provide direct supervision of student staff as well as temporary, part time event operations staff
Budget Responsibilities - coordinate operational expenditures and payroll with department director and appropriate campus offices. Oversee rental agreements for athletics facilities.
- Bachelor's Degree required; 2-5 years of experience in college sports demonstrating knowledge of facility and/or event coordination and campus engagement; Knowledge of NCAA Division III regulations; Strong organizational and communication skills desired;
- Ability to respectfully work, communicate and provide leadership within a diverse campus community.
- We acknowledge the richness of commonalities and differences we share as a university community; the intrinsic worth of all who work and study here; that education is enhanced by investigation of and reflection upon multiple perspectives.
- We aspire to create respect for and appreciation of all persons as a key characteristic of our campus community; to increase the diversity of all parts of our University community through commitment to diversity in our recruitment and retention efforts; to foster a spirit of openness to active engagement among all members of our campus community.
- We act to achieve an environment that welcomes and supports diversity; to ensure full educational opportunity for all who teach and learn here; to prepare effectively citizen-leaders for a pluralistic world.
Puget Sound is committed to an environment that welcomes and supports diversity. We seek diversity of identity, thought, perspective, and background in our students, faculty, and staff. To learn more please visit: http://www.pugetsound.edu/about/diversity-at-puget-sound/
Compensation and Benefits: Decisions about starting salaries are made based on the extent and relatedness of the candidate's education and experience and on internal equity and market considerations.
This position is exempt from the provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act.
Puget Sound offers a generous benefits package. For more information, visit: http://www.pugetsound.edu/about/offices--services/human-resources/overview-of-university-benefit/.
Application Deadline: Search and selection procedures will be closed when a sufficient number of qualified candidates have been identified. Interested individuals are encouraged to submit application materials no later than May 10, 2018 to ensure consideration.
When prompted to upload required documents, please upload resume. All additional documents can be uploaded within the application before submission. Applications submitted without the required attachments will not be considered.
- Letter of Interest
All offers of employment are contingent on successful completion of a background inquiry and if applicable for the position, drug screen, physical test and functional assessment.
The University of Puget Sound is an equal opportunity employer.
How to Apply
For complete job description and application instructions, visit: www.pugetsound.edu/employment
About Puget Sound
Puget Sound is a selective national liberal arts college in Tacoma, Washington, drawing 2,600 students from 48 states and 20 countries. Puget Sound graduates include Rhodes and Fulbright scholars, notables in the arts and culture, entrepreneurs and elected officials, and leaders in business and finance locally and throughout the world. A low student-faculty ratio provides Puget Sound students with personal attention from faculty who have a strong commitment to teaching and offer 1,200 courses each year in more than 40 traditional and interdisciplinary fields, including graduate programs in occupational and physical therapy and in education. Puget Sound is the only nationally ranked independent undergraduate liberal arts college in Western Washington, and one of just five independent colleges in the Pacific Northwest granted a charter by Phi Beta Kappa, the nation’s most prestigious academic honorary society. Visit "About Puget Sound" (http://www.pugetsound.edu/about) to learn more about the college.
As a strategic goal and through our core values, University of Puget Sound is committed to an environment that welcomes and supports diversity. We seek diversity of identity, thought, perspective, and background in our students, faculty, and staff. EOE/AA