Instructor, Lab Manager for Nursing
The mission of the Swain Department of Nursing is to educate and develop our students to become principled leaders in the health care environment and profession of nursing by incorporating the core values of The Citadel into the learning experience.
The Instructor, Nursing contributes to administration, planning, implementation and evaluation of the baccalaureate in nursing program. The primary role is the education of students in the skills lab and simulation center. The individual reports to the Department Head, Nursing. The Instructor has responsibilities in the area of teaching and service.
- Works with the faculty member of record for each course that has a skill or simulation component to assure experiential activities match the learning objectives of the course.
- Serves as the department expert in simulation learning by incorporating evidence based activities into the curriculum in collaboration with course faculty.
- Works with the faculty to program the manikins for designed learning activities that support the learning objectives of the course.
- Works with faculty to design appropriate assessment activities for skills and simulation.
- Sets up the supplies and equipment that are needed each week for the designated student learning experiences.
- Working with the faculty, creates grading rubrics for skill and simulation exercises.
- Assures that these student work products are graded and retain in the Learning Management System.
- Participates in curriculum revisions for assigned classes;
- Provides direct supervision of students in a simulated environment.
- Assures that all skill and simulation activities reflect the most recent, scientific evidence.
- Serves as the manager of the human simulation center which includes:
- Management of the physical space
- Management of the manikins and other durable medical equipment
- Managing needed supplies and disposable equipment
- Assuring that needed supplies and equipment are readily available for student learning.
- Coordinating preventive maintenance on manikins and other durable equipment
- Managing the costs associated with the human simulation center in collaboration with the department head.
- A minimum of a Master’s degree in nursing
- Unencumbered active license to practice as a registered nurse in the state of South Carolina or a Compact state
- A minimum of two years of experience in human simulation
- Minimum of five years of nursing experience in service or education as a registered nurse
- Certification in simulation is preferred
- Prior academic experience is preferred