Director of Student Accounts
Reporting to the Associate Vice President of Finance for Student Financial Services, the Director of Student Accounts is responsible for all day-to-day aspects of student accounts and billing operations including maintenance of the Banner-student account module, collections, and disbursement of funds control for students’ tuition accounts and related federal and state regulatory matters and compliance requirements. The Director of Student Accounts assists the AVP-SFS in the development and implementation of College tuition payment polices and processes which meets regulatory requirements and institutional goals and disseminating information and effectively communicating policies and procedures to students and their families and colleagues while providing superior, empathic customer service to the students and families served by the College. This role provides direction and oversight for the Student accounts team and works closely with the Financial Aid Director and team to ensure accurate and cohesive service to the customers the department serves.
Understanding the role is broader in today’s higher education market and along with ensuring compliance with federal and state regulations for all student account matters, following institutional protocols and applying policies equitably, must be prepared to use reasonable judgement to support the enrollment and retention initiatives in collaboration with Admission and CE/Graduate Studies.
- Manage escalated customer service issues with a focus toward providing superior customer service while applying the policies in a fair and equitable manner and in ways which continue to assist the College in fulfilling its goals and mission.
- Ensures superior customer service is provided to students and their families.
- Ensures all Student Financial Services staff are knowledgeable about payment policies, deadlines and procedures.
- Works closely with the Director and Associate Director of Financial Aid to ensure affordability counseling, by SFS staff, of students/families particularly for those with unpaid balances.
- Resolves and refers escalation issues appropriately.
Student Accounts and Federal Perkins Loan Program:
- Works closely with management team to continuously review and enhance electronic and print communication materials.
- Works closely with the Associate Director of Financial Aid to ensure Service team gains knowledge and performs appropriate tuition account related activities.
- Manages outbound calling campaigns for balance settling.
- Maintains and analyzes student account data including billing and refund data under direction of supervisor.
- Oversees the Student Account Receivable Module maintenance and system testing and works closely with the Assistant Director of Student Accounts for system set-up, system integrity and resolution of any payment or account crediting issues and is the final authority for approving billing system.
- Maintains interface with Financial Aid Module in Banner and works closely with Director of Financial Aid to ensure billing accuracy for students receiving financial aid.
- Ensures accuracy of pending payment/memo items and financial aid disbursements and responsible for funding reconciliations including those due to third party payments such as private loan payments, VA funding, etc.
- Oversees administration of federal and private loan disbursements.
- Researches variances for bank and account reconciliations.
- Processes and reconciles monthly TMS payments.
- Is the authorizing signatory for weekly account credit balance refunds.
- Approves and processes manual account adjustments.
- Manages collection process and procedures for inactive student accounts including communication cycle and referral to third party collection agency.
- Oversee Federal Perkins Loan servicing and preparation/mailing of Disclosure Statements and Repayment Schedules and working with third party servicer.
- Works inter-departmentally as appropriate to ensure College payment strategies are deployed as required.
Compliance & Policies:
- Work closely with AVP-SFS to develop, implement and interpret, where needed, College payment policies that are fair and equitable, and which meet the College’s enrollment and retention goals.
- Works with management team in SFS to formulate and execute strategic objectives for the SFS department in support of the College’s Strategic Objectives.
- Ensures strict compliance with federal Title IV and state aid cash management regulations.
- Maintains Student Accounts policies and procedures documentation.
- Generates and distributes annual 1098-T student tax forms.
- Manages compliance with state’s student health insurance regulations and prepares related reports for submission to regulatory agency.
- Participate in annual audit preparation including account reconciliations, preparation of accounts receivable confirmations and bad debt analysis.
- Hires, trains, motivates and evaluates staff.
- Provides direct leadership to a team of 2.5 expert staff in payment processing, disbursement and collections activities.
- Mentors team and provides opportunities for professional growth within the organization.
- Requests budgetary, technology and training resources for staff.
- Participates in all College events including presenting to students and their families as appropriate, that require representation from the SFS Office, including but not limited to Open Houses, Accepted Students Day, Orientations, opening of the College each semester, and related Commencement events.
- Generally is the manager on duty for office evening hours until 6 p.m. one day per week.
- Respects and maintains confidentiality, parameters of operation, professional protocols and individual privacy.
- Other duties/projects as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree and five to seven (5-7) years’ experience in higher education, specifically within student accounts and/or services.
- Experience in fast-paced, customer service focused, time sensitive environment necessary.
- Student-centered, customer-service focus in higher education. Practical experience in supervising staff, compliance for cash management and education financial advising within the student account field.
- Ability to analyze data and present to upper management when appropriate.
- Must promote teamwork, provides superior customer service, provide continuous learning for staff , excellent problem solving skills, able to communicate in a variety of mediums including in person presentations, development of written materials for customers and corresponding with customers, able to apply technology, provide a big picture perspective, open to change, promote productivity and staff development.
- Customer Service techniques for diffusing difficult situations.
- Good planning/organizational skills, math/statistical, analytical, and problem solving skills required.
- Proficient with student aid systems, preferably Banner.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite.
- Ability to work occasional evenings and weekends as needed for departmental coverage and College-hosted events.
- Master’s degree.
At the College’s discretion, the education and experience prerequisites may be excepted where the candidate can demonstrate, to the satisfaction of the College, an equivalent combination of education and experience specifically preparing the candidate for success in the position.
Employment in this position is contingent upon the successful completion of all required pre-employment background checks.
Please apply online at http://www.curry.edu/about-curry/employment/job-opportunities.html for consideration. Interested Applicants must submit a resume, cover letter, and a list of three professional references including complete contact information and professional titles.